cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long am I?

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I have a truck camper- 25 feet from grille to back steps on the camper. Behind it I tow a 14 foot trailer. With the space for the hitch I am running over 40 feet total length.

Does that mean I can only reserve campsites that accommodate 40' campers, or does the fact that I can unhook and position my stuff in different ways allow me to reserve a spot for a 25' camper?

I've been all over the country with the truck camper at 25', but towing is new to me and I don't want to make trouble on the one hand by trying to squeeze into a spot I should not take with the trailer in tow, on the other hand I really don't want to be stuck with the limited choices of a 40 footer in some places.

thanks in advance for your advice/comments
9 REPLIES 9

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Jgwoods wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
I have the same set up, TC and truck is about 25'. Boat on trailer adds about 25' more. I always go by the camper length and park the boat trailer beside the camper. Many campgrounds near lakes anticipate this and have grass parking areas specifically for empty boat trailers. You might want to have a way to lock your trailer (coupler lock, cable lock thru the wheels, etc.) if you park in one of these areas.

Point well taken, secure the trailer. It is enclosed and locks now I just need a way to make so no one can back up to it and tow it away.

TRAILER LOCKS

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I have the same set up, TC and truck is about 25'. Boat on trailer adds about 25' more. I always go by the camper length and park the boat trailer beside the camper. Many campgrounds near lakes anticipate this and have grass parking areas specifically for empty boat trailers. You might want to have a way to lock your trailer (coupler lock, cable lock thru the wheels, etc.) if you park in one of these areas.

Point well taken, secure the trailer. It is enclosed and locks now I just need a way to make so no one can back up to it and tow it away.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
If you are visiting campgrounds up here you would reserve for your truck with the camper on 25'

We take our Avalanche , TT and boat all together. If we said we needed a site for 73' I think they would laugh in dismay. Our TT is 27/31' in length. We book a site for a 30' trailer. There is usually lots of room for the truck unhitched and the boat from the back of the trailer.

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the advice, there is general agreement that it's not a 40 foot rig in terms campsite selection but check with the specific campground to see if a trailer will fit the smaller site selected.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Almost never have the CG ask for anything more than trailer length. The assumption is that the TV will be parked next to or accross the front of the trailer.

Always give them the model length e.g. my 34RLR is 34' to them, even though I know it is 35'10"LOA.

I would go as 36 in your case as you don't want the hitch hanging in the street. I always get a better site than my friend as he does what you do and I use total length of the trailer. His site is most always smaller so we end up hanging on my site because it has extra room.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost never have the CG ask for anything more than trailer length. The assumption is that the TV will be parked next to or accross the front of the trailer.

Always give them the model length e.g. my 34RLR is 34' to them, even though I know it is 35'10"LOA.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you are 25 as a site for a 25 foot trailer also has space for the TV. Of course sometimes I have to park across the front of the site with the TV to fit but my trailer is 35 feet. Let the campground know you are towing and most will be sure to give you a site you will fit in.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I would think your camping unit of 25' is the correct length, but the trailer will be determined by the campground. Many allow boat trailers, etc. to be parked at the site disconnected from the camper. Others may require a separate parking spot, while still others may give you a pull thru. Each will vary, so ask when making reservation.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch