cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Many RV'ers are also Nautical Buffs Too?

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about how may of us folks keep a dinghy, powerboat, pontoon style, catamaran style, sailing boats or yachts, etc.

If so, please tell us about what it is you have and how often you're able to enjoy it.

I'll start, I have a beautiful 1994 Beneteau Oceanis 400, and am thinking about upgrading to a 1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis.

Thanks
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!
61 REPLIES 61

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
82 nautique had it since 1990, tow it and launch it with motorhome up on Lake Travis in Austin. Hasn't seen water in two years due to drought and low lake levels. I live on upper Galveston bay but the family hates salt water. the boats seen saltwater less than the number of fingers on one hand since I have owned it.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my new boat. 2014 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV. Pulling it behind my 5er will be a new adventure.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I grew up sailing Galveston bay but didn't meet until we were 31/30 yrs old and volunteering aboard the
Barque ELISSA

We have a sailboat deteriorating in our pasture at the moment.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of 'carry where you go' water toys here. Thought there might have been more too big for trailers cruising boaters who have made the switch.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
My boat list:

West Wight Potter 15 (sailboat)
Sunfish (sailboat)
Necky Dolphin (kayak)
Hobie Mirage (kayak)
Pygmy Osprey HP (wooden kayak)
Mohawk Nova 16 (canoe)

The Potter is my fave. Love trailering to lakes, sail around, toss the hook and enjoy the scenery. My big plan is to sail the Texas 200 in 2015 with the Potter.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I think RV'ing and boating go hand in hand. Stopped sailing, and now do the RV thing.

Currently have a pontoon and bass boat.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a trailer sailor all of my life .
My eighth and last boat my son and I picked up in a blizzard Christmas week in 1991 .
Seaswirl Spyder 179 outboard with the 168 HP GT bass motor .
Like everything else I own it is a spoiled Hangar Queen .
It is brand new , still .
Until just recently I was a slalom course skier behind other friends tournament boats .
For the last 15 years my little low profile boat has become pretty much a swim platform .
She does an easy 46 mph with the Bimini Top up and four on board but mostly trolls along at 4 knots .
I never drive any more , the gals lounge in the open bow , my adult son cruises us , and I deal with the water toys, boat fenders , and gunkhole anchor positioning .
Launch and retrieval is a 4 minute exercise because I deal with the truck /trailer parking . Drive On / Drive Off .
At 68 it is the best boating yet , even better than the days of glass water at 6 am .

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coronado 15 sail boat, kayak and numerous sail and surf boards. Its all good!
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

buckhorn13
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my trailer at a seasonal space next to a lake in N.Calif. I use a 2002 Bayliner 195 Capri and a 14' Klamath there. Also I have a 2001 Bayliner 2452 I keep at Lake Tahoe for use there. Freshwater boating is getting tight due to the low water levels.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Just gave the SeaRay to my BIL. Now it lives in Huntington Harbor and I have keys.. ๐Ÿ™‚

(edit:iphone spelling)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Do the two kayaks pictured in my profile count? :B
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
sailboats Hobie Cat 14' and 16'
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like "Water-Bug", when living on the Lake Michigan shore, if you don't have a boat or lots of boats, you just might get kicked out of West Michigan and don't/didn't want to chance it. So we've done our share plus many other peoples shares and love every minute of it! Sweet torture!!!

Our first large cabin Cruiser we had many years ago was a 1964 40' Owens Tahatian double planked mahagony with the 2 very crappy gutless Chrysler Marine flathead 6's. It gave way 4 years later to our wood Chris Craft cruiser which was then replaced with the Sea Ray sedan models. Our first sailboat 22' Catalina was added in 1974 and then replaced by the 25' Catalina which was replaced by the 30' Catalina in 1983 and in 1990 the 34' Catalina replaced it. All purchased new except for the 1964 Owens which was 2 years old when we bought it. Yes, we're "water rats" too!

We are one of the few real boaters who really enjoy gunkholing and/or you name it and it does both "rag hanging" (sailboats) and "stink potting" (power boats) because like with RV's, NO one type or model of boat is the best at everything! Since 1962 have alway also had many smaller boats for fishing, skiing, and trailering behind the RV's so we could explore gobs of inland lakes and waterways around the country. "travelnutz" is both for dry and wet travel on Earth for fun. Older and wiser now, the aluminum thingy that wisks you from continent to continent is no longer part of either of our lives as it was and we are so much happier just exploring North America at OUR pace where it's away from the beggars and 3rd world type filth and dispair as we've done and seen it way too many times already. If we never go thru or from airport to airport again, we'll be very happy!

As for small boats and the Great Lakes, not about to take an 18' or less across the big lake's nearly 100 miles to Milwaukee as the lake can get extremely rough. Only once did we take the 19' Larson tri hull with a 115hp Johnson on the back across to Milwaukee and that curred that as an unforcasted wind storm made ripples into mountains in a short time and there we were 40-50 miles from a harbor and 360 feet of unhappy water under us and coming at us. The electric bilge pump got a real workout and our underwear needed many washings!

Our big sailboats and powerboats have crossed many times or even on an angle NW up to Green Bay/Door County and The long Borth Channel of Lake Huron and simply loved "OTTO" our named autopilot to do the steering while we had fun. Hey, it's approx 22 hours over open water with the sailboat just to get to Sturgeon Bay on the Wisconsin side from our home port and my butt just doesnt like sitting that long!

RV'ing and boating go so well together and never gets tiring. Both have so many sub-catagories to enjoy that how could they ever get boring with there only presently being just 24 hours in a day and only 365-1/4 days in a year?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
always boat people. had them all from pontoons to power boats for water skiing to big center console for bay fishing. had a truck camper so we could pull the boat.

now it is a kayak for me and hubby surf fishes. but boats are in our future again probably at some point. want retire in beach area so hubby is already calculating the cost of his ocean worthy boat ๐Ÿ™‚