cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to adjust entry door?

qchunter
Explorer
Explorer
I searched the how-to's but didn't see anything. Is the entry doors able to be adjusted? The bottom of the door is not closing all the way, I can see light in the jam below the latch. The top seems to close well.

Thanks
2014 Iconic 2415AKG - 30' Toyhauler
2005 GMC 2500 Duramax
9 REPLIES 9

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly how we used to 'tweak' a door to fit when I ran an automotive body shop. That is if 'tweaking' was the way to fix, otherwise it was pull the door and shim the hinges. Tweaking was much faster and cost less too.

DSDP Don wrote:
If you left it at a shop, they would have you leave the area and then they would insert a one foot long 4" x 4" near the middle or upper portion of the door, close it and push on the bottom of the door, tweaking the frame back into compliance.

Obviously, this is done gently, making sire not to damage the door.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you left it at a shop, they would have you leave the area and then they would insert a one foot long 4" x 4" near the middle or upper portion of the door, close it and push on the bottom of the door, tweaking the frame back into compliance.

Obviously, this is done gently, making sire not to damage the door.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

qchunter
Explorer
Explorer
I will look at what is involved in resetting the door frame. I think I can do that.
2005 GMC 2500 Duramax

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
You could drill out the rivets on one of the hinges, add a thin spacer behind the hinge, then re-rivet it. The spacer thickness depends on how much you need to get the door to move. A spacer behind the lower hinge will move the bottom of the door up. Might take a couple of tries to get the spacing right.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A hack fix is to split a washer and stick it in the hinge to raise the door a bit. The correct fix (IF it isn't a matter of frame twist, which it usually is) involves removing and resetting the door frame and all.
-- Chris Bryant

qchunter
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked again at the door for a way to adjust. Noticed the door has rivets holding it on and is not screwed. Might try finding a thicker seal for the bottom? Only other option would be to try to gradually bend the hinges?
2005 GMC 2500 Duramax

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Um, I vaguely remember that way back when I picked up a new fifth wheel, it had a nylon spacer on the bottom door sill for the door to rest on. For withstanding all that tender love and care they get on the way to the stealer. Could take a look for the hey of it.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I think about the only thing you can do is make sure you are not twisting the frame with the stab jacks and check for damage on the door gasket.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you are level. My old TT's doors wouldn't shut properly if we weren't level and were warped a bit.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M