cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to clean mold from Velcro

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing came up on a forum-wide search and I am unsure if this is the correct place to post, so I am asking how do you clean mold from Velcro. We live in the Pacific Northwest and have a pop up TC. There are velcro fasteners for the flaps that serve as windows. Some black mold has started appearing on the Velcro. We have the camper in an unheated garage with a small heater and the pop top up. Still, we get mold. Should I use bleach? Will that damage the Velcro? The camper was bought new 10-2012. The mold showed up this past spring. Thank in advance.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
18 REPLIES 18

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've only been able to find the Mold Armor at Lowes or maybe it was Home Depot. I can never remember which one they are always across the street from each other!

I just bought some property here in Florida and EVERYTHING gets green and/or black mold on it. Especially my RV. This stuff wipes it clean off. I used the Mold Armor w/Blocker in it for the gutters and no mold has had the nerve to come back. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I have had excellent results with heavy duty/ extra strength Febreeze fabric spray. It saved a $200 pair of pac boots that I was about to throw away because of mildew. I think I got the extra strength febreeze fabric spray at walmart.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you need to do is get an old tooth brush and some Concrobium Mold Control (that's name of it). Contains no bleach, ammonia or VOCs. Just spray it on and let em set for a few minutes then scrub with the tooth brush and then let dry.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I could find neither the Mold Armor with Blockers nor the Mean green at our local Fred Meyer store. I did find the Mold Armor on Amazon so will put in an order and add a few items from "Save for Later" to meet my free shipping quota.

So, to eliminate condensation and further mold outbreaks, would any of you comment on the follower small dehumidifiers?

Ivation OR

Eva Dry

Or have you found something better? WE have a TC so cubic footage is smaller.

Thanks again.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
White distilled vinegar is effective in killing mold when you can't or shouldn't use bleach. Link
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
"Laundry bleach is not an effective mold killing agent for wood-based building materials and NOT EFFECTIVE in the mold remediation process. OSHA is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine bleach in mold remediation. In time, other federal, state and other public safety agencies are expected to follow OSHA’s lead. The public should be aware, however, that a chlorine bleach solution IS an effective sanitizing product that kills mold on hard non porous surfaces and neutralizes indoor mold allergens that trigger allergies."
source: http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCategory.asp?idCategory=78
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
This cleaning stuff not only works like a miracle if you use the blocker spray too the mold will not come back.

http://www.moldarmor.com/

you will never use bleach again!

Oops, didn''t notice this last part about no more mold. On my list.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you for your replies. Going into town today so will check out the suggestions. How do we prevent this from happening again? Other than more air circulation? Does this happen frequently? Probably not in Arizona, right? But, you have dust so I don't know what is worse.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Available at dollar stores. Has worked fine for us.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Tilex X 2

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This cleaning stuff not only works like a miracle if you use the blocker spray too the mold will not come back.

http://www.moldarmor.com/

you will never use bleach again!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
As john&Joey said. 10% bleach solution. That is the standard for cleaning mold from surfaces.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
10% bleach solution on a small test area and let sit for a day.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I would try Tilex.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73