cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to deal with neighbor noise in quiet hours?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know we're living in close quarters so some noise is always expected. This fairly nice RV park has a lot of motorcycles so there's a lot of noise but for the most part, it's noisy during the day and quiet during official quiet times 10pm-7am.

Our next door neighbours live in their trailer year-round but I wouldn't call them full-timers.

She leaves at 5:45am every weekday to walk 3 miles before her shift starts. Her truck is a hard to start, squealing fanbelt, no exhaust beater. She parks it 10 feet from our bed. She wakes me every morning - it usually takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep. Sometimes not at all.

This is a so-called "premium" site and we don't want to move, but we may have to. Before we do that I'm wondering if anyone can think of any (legal) things to do to stop this inconsiderate behavior? We asked her to park at the other end of her trailer and that helped a lot for a couple of weeks but she's decided she doesn't want to do that anymore (why, I dunno). After two and a half months we've finally complained to the office but I have little hope that they can / will do anything.

We've been doing the RV thing for quite a few years and I've never come across this kind of issue. I understand the "suck it up", "stop whining" and "move" options. Any other suggestions?
81 REPLIES 81

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipro3 wrote:
Ok, then instead of ranting ( advice is something that someone might be interested in) you send the OP a check to cover the costs and everyone will be happy. Honestly I think that's the best "advice" based on your generosity and forward thinking as indicated In your posts.

First, I wasn't ranting, I offered a positive solution. Second, I'll offer up to pay for the muffler as soon as you and everyone else offers up to follow through on your suggestions. It's easy to go tell someone to do something mean like turn them in until it's YOU doing the dirty work.

Little sensitive?

Positive yes but not necessarily practical. From the OP's first post he has already turned them in. Lot of speculating throughout this thread in regards to the neighbor and their situation. None of us really know whether it is just someone struggling to get by and her husband/boyfriend whatever is unable to help out for some reason or if they are just inconsiderate people who really don't care who they bother. From the sounds of things though it sounds like the OP is either going to have to move to another spot, another park, or learn to live with it.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, then instead of ranting ( advice is something that someone might be interested in) you send the OP a check to cover the costs and everyone will be happy. Honestly I think that's the best "advice" based on your generosity and forward thinking as indicated In your posts.

First, I wasn't ranting, I offered a positive solution. Second, I'll offer up to pay for the muffler as soon as you and everyone else offers up to follow through on your suggestions. It's easy to go tell someone to do something mean like turn them in until it's YOU doing the dirty work.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
GWolfe wrote:
You know your neighbors are probably down on their luck with little money. I don't see how turning them in for a loud truck is going to fix anything, probably make matters worse for both parties involved and you would probably end up moving anyway.

I would just move, not everyone is privileged enough to enjoy this lifestyle some do it out of necessity or because they have no other options.

I agree. I'd also add that since she moved the truck to the other side for a while and then moved it back, that she made an effort to "be nice" to her neighbor. You don't know why she moved it back - maybe it bothered 2 or 3 neighbors on the other side and she figured it was better to only annoy one neighbor; maybe it disturbed her husband who has health issues or works from home; etc.

I always find it funny that folks treat this type of issue as if the neighbor is PURPOSELY doing these things to just to annoy them. I'm pretty sure that she's tired of listening to her loud truck also - but that in the big scheme of her life, that's the least of her worries.

I also think that an offer to help with the repair (if it's something you're able to do) would be a nice offer. Since the squealing is the biggest annoyance, perhaps offer to do the labor on that if she buys the new belt (or whatever needs to be bought). That would eliminate the worst of the noise and will show that you understand that she's not purposely annoying you. I wouldn't suggest paying for the repair (unless you have the extra money and personally wish to do so), but offering the labor could be just what she needs - especially if she has a husband who is somehow unable to do those things.

Otherwise, it's use earplugs or move.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
OP is there another site at this campground that you could move to? One that's far away from this neighbor?

If not either earplugs or rolling on down the highway are about your only options.

For those suggesting the OP pay for the neighbor's truck to be repaired, keep in mind the neighbor is so inconsiderate they won't even park away from the OP's bedroom window. If I knew my very loud vehicle was waking my neighbors I would be embarrassed and happy to park as far away as possible. This neighbor doesn't even care!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
et2 wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
TOMMY47 wrote:
Fix the truck for her?????????
So you know the OP is a truck mechanic with an unlimited supply of free parts?
How many hundreds of his own money should he spend?

Yea. It's called, 'helping a neighbor'. Ever have a neighbor come over and lend you a hand? Ever offer to lend a hand to a neighbor?

What's happened to America when we can't even be neighborly to a neighbor? Maybe you are one of those who are only nice to you first? Break the cycle and quit responding to a bad situation by making it worse.

As for me? My peace and quiet for a $50 muffler and some belt dressing is plenty worth the time and money. If I haven't the skils, then another $100 for the labor and I get to sleep in. Seeing as the OP *****ed and aired the dirty laundry to the world, I would think that would be chump change for the tranquiity it gave back.

How much money you think you spend in taxes that goes to the unworthy who abuse your tax gift? Now think about putting some money where it would do you your own best good; your peace and quiet at 5:30am.

Here's a thought. Get the OP's address and send them a check for the neighbors repair. Then you wouldn't have to complain about them complaining. Maybe the OP is on a budget. Maybe they don't have the money.

What makes you think I'm complaining? I'm offering advice. No charge even! That is my contribution.

Yea. It's called, 'helping a neighbor'. Ever have a neighbor come over and lend you a hand? Ever offer to lend a hand to a neighbor?

What's happened to America when we can't even be neighborly to a neighbor? Maybe you are one of those who are only nice to you first? Break the cycle and quit responding to a bad situation by making it worse.

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
While repairing the truck for the neighbor on the surface sounds like a really magnanimous gesture, I'm not so sure it is the best solution. To begin with it assumes the OP is in a position to make such an offer. On top of that there is much speculation as to what it would cost to make the repairs. That is not something that can be estimated unless one knows exactly what repairs are needed and from the limited information here that is not something one can ascertain. We also do not know what mechanical ability the OP may or may not possess. Additional labor costs could add up very quickly. Even assuming the OP possesses the ability we don't know what tools he has available. Remember he is in a campground or rv park so certain types of repairs may not be easily done in that situation. The neighbor may also not be receptive to such an offer.

As I see it the OP has a few other options. What works best in this situation is something he is going to have to decide.

He can complain to management and ask them to either intercede or allow him to move to another site (assuming there is one that would be far enough away).

Packing up and moving to an entirely new park.

Getting some ear plugs and just ignoring it.

Try establishing enough of a rapport with the neighbor to discuss the problem and hopefully agree upon a solution. This is probably what I would first try however not knowing the people involved it is impossible to say.

Just learn to live with it.

Resort to other more retaliatory type measures which run the risk of inciting the situation.

Someone alluded to a meth lab being nearby. I know based on what was posted it is baffling why he/she came to this conclusion. However the OP has stated that the vehicle leaks gas and on "some" days the smell is overwhelming. He has also said that the husband or at least man living there stays in all day with windows and doors closed. So question is does truck actually leak gas? If it is leaking enough to create the smell described there would most likely be some sign of it. Is that smell really gas? A meth lab can give off a very strong chemical odor, not really a gasoline odor. If you have ever been near one you would understand. Just saying the possibility does exist. If, and that is a big IF, that is the case it is not something you want to be next to or people you want to interact with.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
skippro3--$50 for a muffler? where? Last I heard,Mufflers need pipes. They sure aren'$50.
I like et2's suggestion--YOU send the OP a check for $400-500 To cover the costs. If it's less, I'm sure he'll return the balance. If it's more, he'll send you the bill.

Just checked Pep Boys. 9 mufflers for $50 or less to fit a mid-model Chevy truck. (I don't know exactly what truck Neighbor has)

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
TOMMY47 wrote:

As for me? My peace and quiet for a $50 muffler and some belt dressing is plenty worth the time and money. If I haven't the skils, then another $100 for the labor and I get to sleep in. Seeing as the OP *****ed and aired the dirty laundry to the world, I would think that would be chump change for the tranquiity it gave back.

How much money you think you spend in taxes that goes to the unworthy who abuse your tax gift? Now think about putting some money where it would do you your own best good; your peace and quiet at 5:30am.

Here's a thought. Get the OP's address and send them a check for the neighbors repair. Then you wouldn't have to complain about them complaining. Maybe the OP is on a budget. Maybe they don't have the money.

What makes you think I'm complaining? I'm offering advice. No charge even! That is my contribution.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I am all for helping out, and agree the neighbors maybe down on their luck.
But at least according to the OP, They know the noise is bugging the OP, but have made little attempt to change the situation. That is very telling in my opinion.

If they cared at all, could they not at least afford ten dollars for some muffler tape, and some belt lube? Could they not make at least some attempt?

Poor or not, a responsible person would at least try. Fact is they probably just don't care at all, that they are bugging the OP. If the OP pays to fix it, I doubt they would appreciate it much.

As I don't know the neighbor, I could be 100% wrong. But having been on this planet 60 years, and observed this sort of thing many times, I doubt it

I vote for moving

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
She leaves at 5:45am every weekday to walk 3 miles before her shift starts. Her truck is a hard to start, squealing fanbelt, no exhaust beater.

I understand the "suck it up", "stop whining" and "move" options. Any other suggestions?

If the vehicle isn't safe or roadworthy the Sherriffs Dept. might be interested in taking a look at it.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
You know your neighbors are probably down on their luck with little money. I don't see how turning them in for a loud truck is going to fix anything, probably make matters worse for both parties involved and you would probably end up moving anyway.

I would just move, not everyone is privileged enough to enjoy this lifestyle some do it out of necessity or because they have no other options.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
skippro3--$50 for a muffler? where? Last I heard,Mufflers need pipes. They sure aren'$50.
I like et2's suggestion--YOU send the OP a check for $400-500 To cover the costs. If it's less, I'm sure he'll return the balance. If it's more, he'll send you the bill.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loud music and partying till all hours of the night, talk to management. Someone starting their car to go to work, either live with it or move.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

et2
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
TOMMY47 wrote:

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
HOUSTON REMODELER--How do you know the person can't afford to fix it--she does have a job?
These " fix it " posts have to be a joke. Sure took me in.