cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-70 Camper Crash

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
Article and pictures of a camper crash involving a semi and a camper with SUV. 3 people injured. This was in Springfield, Ohio.
Camper crash
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We past along that stretch of 70 recently too. Lots of drivers in a big hurry. Lots in a hurry & also on the phone. Try to stay around 1800RPM/67MPH myself. Not too slow & collecting a line behind us but not passing many either. Don't know where all the slow RV drivers are. Sure do have many more blow past us than we go by. Many have way too much tail for the dog wagging away as they race to who knows where.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
Pretty hard NOT to take evasive action isn't it? Normal reaction is to avoid collision and it must be hard to control that. Not to mention that high speed collisions also have negative consequences. Likely just as bad or worse than avoidance.

Saying it is ALWAYS a bad idea can't possibly be supported.

Yes, CavemanCharlie is correct, I should have said don't take sudden, evasive action, like jerking the wheel to swerve out of the way.

Overcoming instinct is hard, but knowledge is power. On the first trip out of state with our new Hybrid TT, I hit a pot hole just as a tractor trailer passed me. The HTT started to sway bad. It was pushing me across lanes of traffic. At one point the wheels of the trailer chirped a few times. My instinct was to hit the brakes to slow down, I was doing about 60 - 65 mph when the sway began. I did not hit the brakes, because I remembered the one useful bit of info the Dealership's salesman told me: if the camper starts to sway don't hit the brakes - give it gas. That's what I did, I stomped on the gas pedal until the camper finally straightened out and got back under control. Ironically, it was the salesman that told me we didn't need a weight distribution hitch.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
captnjack wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
News Article wrote:
Investigators believe the driver took evasive action while either making a lane change or a vehicle came into the lane the SUV was traveling in, state troopers said.

Our children began learning to drive a few years ago. I have practically forced it down their throats that taking evasive action to avoid colliding with something is always a bad idea at high speeds. I hope, if they are ever in a situation where evasive action is the instinct, they will remember what I have told them over and over again and hold their course.

Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

-Michael

Pretty hard NOT to take evasive action isn't it? Normal reaction is to avoid collision and it must be hard to control that. Not to mention that high speed collisions also have negative consequences. Likely just as bad or worse than avoidance.

Maybe what Michael was trying to say is that taking evasive action "Suddenly" is a bad idea.

If you can move over or change lanes in a controlled manner that is good but, you don't what to grab the wheel and jerk it .

And, avoiding another vehicle in one thing. But, suddenly jerking the wheel to avoid something like a squirrel is dumb. I understand the squirrels right to live but, take you foot off of the gas, hold the wheel straight with both hands, and pray that the critter moves.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
News Article wrote:
Investigators believe the driver took evasive action while either making a lane change or a vehicle came into the lane the SUV was traveling in, state troopers said.

Our children began learning to drive a few years ago. I have practically forced it down their throats that taking evasive action to avoid colliding with something is always a bad idea at high speeds. I hope, if they are ever in a situation where evasive action is the instinct, they will remember what I have told them over and over again and hold their course.

-Michael

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
News Article wrote:

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drove past the mess a couple of hours ago.ugly. No wind or weather involved. Traffic was light.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
allen8106 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Another reminder why it's not a good idea to haul passengers in a TT.

There's nothing in the report saying there were people in the TT. It specifically states they we were in the SUV???

I believe the reference was to the fact the TT is as flat as a pancake and separated from the frame. Not even a good place for pets!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
gbopp wrote:

There's nothing in the report saying there were people in the TT. It specifically states they we were in the SUV???

That was my first reaction, too - then I realized they were pointing out the flattened trailer would have been a death trap, had anyone actually been inside it.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I attended a defensive driving class a few years ago and instructor advised against driving in the lane next to barrier if possible.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
mooky stinks wrote:
The RV.NET crash investigators will be along shortly to give a full report.:)

No doubt about it. This is obviously the result of two (or more) objects trying to occupy the same space at the same time. I am surprised the State Patrol hasn't figured that out yet - it is obvious to anyone on the Internet looking at the pictures.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will second that. Sounds like too much trailer too little tow vehicle and sway control.. But alas. Not being on scene I can only guess Or too much MPH too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
The RV.NET crash investigators will be along shortly to give a full report.:)

Oh it's absolutely a case of going too fast and I can just feel it that they didn't have a proper wdh set up. I think I also smell too much weight in the rear of the TT. How was that ๐Ÿ™‚

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer