cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Illegal GPS mounting

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Was stopped by a Arizona Highway Patrol officer for having my GPS mounted on the middle of the windshield. Was told that it was only allowed on the windshield in the bottom right or left lower corner. Luckily only got a warning,
What is funny is it illegal to mount your GPS in the center of your windshield in Arizona but it is not illegal to text while driving.

GPS mounting by state
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen
114 REPLIES 114

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
HOw would I know if it was illegal? In my home state there are no laws concerning placement of GPS. SInce my vehicle is registered in NY and I am licensed in NY shouldn't reciprocity cover me?

Use common sense. If you have your GPS mounted somewhere that obstructs your vision out of your windows, it is illegal. Whether or not there is a specific charge for GPS, it is always illegal to have anything obstruct your view.

From New York State Vehicle Traffic Code;
S 1213. Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when it is so loaded, or when there are in the front seat such number of persons as to obstruct the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle or as to interfere with the driver's control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.

By the way, reciprocity applies to vehicle equipment and temporarily mounted items such as a radar detector or GPS unit do not qualify as equipment. If New York allowed a dark tint, reciprocity covers that. If New York allowed a modified exhaust system, reciprocity covers that. GPS, maximum speed limit, etc are not covered.

I don't understand the need to have a GPS mounted to a windshield at all. I use my phone's GPS. They talk to you. They actually won't leave you alone.

"In a quarter mile, turn right on Main St"
"In 500 feet, turn right on Main St"
"Turn right on Main St"
"Continue for 2 miles on Main St".

No need to have it up in my window obstructing my view, the GPS talks to you.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to this website, mounting a GPS on a windshield is illegal in 28 states and 6 provinces. If you plan on doing a trip around the US or Canada, it would appear that you either need to know the law in each state or province, or always keep it off the windshield to be safe.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
DW has the GPS on her armrest, and keeps me updated as we travel.

I don't ever have to take my focus off the road to check the GPS.

However, I regularly check my mirrors, all the instruments on the dash, and the rear view camera video (also on the dash) which does take my focus off the road and traffic ahead for moments.

IMHO the mirrors require taking my attention away from the road ahead more than anything else, including how much the GPS would if it were on the dashboard.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Yea, illegal anywhere on the windshield in CA too.

If your CA refers to California, then you're mistaken - California specifies that a GPS can be mounted in the lower left corner of the windshield, so that it doesn't obstruct vision. Now, if your CA refers to Canada I'll let current Canuckian residents respond...

Correct. Lower left on windshield is OK in Calif.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
HOw would I know if it was illegal? In my home state there are no laws concerning placement of GPS. SInce my vehicle is registered in NY and I am licensed in NY shouldn't reciprocity cover me?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bottom line, if its illegal don't do it. If its illegal and you still do it, don't be surprised that you get pulled over. If its illegal and you still do it and you get pulled over and don't get a ticket, be happy about it.

The law is there for a reason. If you can't see a pedestrian walking in a crosswalk because you have your GPS there, its YOUR FAULT. It is a common sense rule. Since people can't be trusted to employ common sense, the state legislators had to make it a law.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is on the lower part of the windshield in the middle. The only thing beyond it is the hood. In no way does it block my view of the road.

Now I've seen people who actually have them directly in front of them, almost to the point they need to look around them to see. And some that just have them on just to have them on!

Mounted properly, they are just fine.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
I had no problem seeing around my windshield mounted GPS, and never got stopped. When the GPS kept falling down I bought a vent mount (haven't used it yet). Seems to me trying to see a lower left windshield mount would distract you even more, and I couldn't even focus on a far right windshield mount.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
I guess all those BMW drivers with HUD (Heads Up Display)on their windshields are going to be paying some fines.

A head up display does not block your windshield. It is information "projected" on to the glass similar to the HUD's in aircraft.

I find the idea of blocking the center of your windshield with a solid piece of equipment like the GPS to be really rather questionable. To put it politely.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm safely at home right now. At least on my laptop, there's an ad on the right hand side of the screen advertising Good Sam GPS units that mount on the dash.
At my age, I know that I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I print paper maps off of Streets and Trips and refer to them at rest areas along my route. I have to stop to "rest" more often than I used to. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Yea, illegal anywhere on the windshield in CA too.

If your CA refers to California, then you're mistaken - California specifies that a GPS can be mounted in the lower left corner of the windshield, so that it doesn't obstruct vision. Now, if your CA refers to Canada I'll let current Canuckian residents respond...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
My GPS sits on the windshield just below the rearview mirror, how is that interfering with my view? Not illegal in my state and never been stopped about it all over the country.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Let me drift a bit from the obstructed view by GPS to something that I've run across that obstructs my view. We traded cars. Everything is great on the new car, 10 air bags??? Wow!!!!. But, the windshield post is so darn big that it obstructs the view a lot more than any GPS could even if clamped onto the windshield.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
You have a crash with one of those on your windshield You will probably be at fault. You hit and injure or kill someone with one of those blocking your vision, You will be sued to the stone age. Might even go to jail.
Not a joke and not a reason to look into your rig. Just keeping a clear view through the windshield.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Illegal here in BC. In fact, you aren't supposed to drive with anything hanging off your mirror that can obstruct your view like say a handicap or CG tag.

Distracted driving is illegal here too, but an awful lot of drivers do it anyway. The law is only good for when someone is in an accident and then the insurance company has something to blame you for.

First I've heard. All kids of people in BC driving with radar detectors, GPS on their windshields and assorted c#%p hanging from their mirrors.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS