cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Increasing jack footprint

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for ideas to increase the foot print of my leveling jacks.
Need something I can attach to the jack pads themselves.
Current pads are 10 inch steel circles. I would like them to be as light as possible since I don't know how much more weight the return springs will handle.
I have used 3" thick x 12 x 24 inch blocks and broke them so there is a lot of weight to carry.

Thanks
pointrow
10 REPLIES 10

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the bucks, forged aluminum pads like is used on heavy industrial equipment may be adaptable for your use. Will not bend under pressure when used on soft ground like plain aluminum plate would.

I'm sure the campgrounds owners would appreciate it too.

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Could you pleas explain why you need additional pads. I've owned two DP's, one 36' with a three jack system and now a 40' tag with 4 jacks. In 12 years and 100000 miles of travel, I can only think of 3-4 occasions where I needed a lager pad due to a soft surface.

Are you routinely putting down wood as a matter of practice, or are you camping in places where your coach sinks?

I've punched holes in many RV campgrounds. Some a foot deep. I'm tired of dragging out the wood blocks and they are really hard to place between the axles requiring me to get on my knees. If I was 10 years younger it wouldn't be a problem.

thanks
pointrow

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Could you pleas explain why you need additional pads. I've owned two DP's, one 36' with a three jack system and now a 40' tag with 4 jacks. In 12 years and 100000 miles of travel, I can only think of 3-4 occasions where I needed a lager pad due to a soft surface.

Are you routinely putting down wood as a matter of practice, or are you camping in places where your coach sinks?
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that is why some MH tires are Parked on 2 foot long 2x12 wood.

I know, NO HELP. the thick aluminum is workable. if you have the room.

a metal supply company can supply blocks of aluminum in 1,2,3 inch thickness and might cut to size for a fee.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.com/search?q=motorhome+jack+pads&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQm8T22eTNAhWJKWMKHa6xABQQsAQILw&dpr=1

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I should have said this is a 42',tag MH. The rear ones are the worst.
Iv'e thought about aluminum but just thought I would see if any other ideas come up.

thanks
pointrow

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Good point, sch911. I have TT, so I am always thinking regarding TT and didn't realize what forum I was in.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bolt on some 3/4 inch thick by 14 inch square aluminum. That would give you a little over twice the square footage you have now.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a MH? Are you talking about a hydraulic leveling system?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
I may be misunderstanding, but are you using your stabilizing jacks as leveling jacks? As in, to lift your RV? They are not intended for that, if that is the case.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD