cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Independent Pricing of New and Used Motorhomes

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
When researching Motor homes for potential purchase it's paramount that you are able to determine a ball park figure that you are willing to pay. Unlike the automobile market, where the Kelly Blue Book value will get you some fairly credible idea on pricing, the RV market does not really have any way to determine this outside of the NADA RV website. I have no idea if the NADA prices are accurate as some of the used motor homes are priced at let's say $20,000 from private parties and NADA shows their value at $6,000. However, I do notice that the NADA pricing for motor homes sold by dealers is quite a bit lower than the advertised price with those dealers. Can one count on the NADA pricing being somewhat accurate especially if you are buying from a dealer? For some of you out there that have purchased RVs how do you know what is a fair price to pay whether it is from a private party or from a dealer?

:?
8 REPLIES 8

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"I completely understand, and I usually tend to prefer private party sales over dealerships simply because they are typically more expensive (re: overhead costs, profit margins, etc). "

Yes, however, also factor in the dealer's service available after the sale, the fact that the dealer most likely did a thorough inspection of the unit and fixed items that needed fixing, and the fact that they can at least offer you a warranty (service contract) on the unit, even if you have to pay something for it.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I didn't mean it as a negative. They are in it professionally, so they know the prices and they aren't going to take a loss on a deal.

Not uncommon to find a private party where the price has nothing to do with the market....often for a variety of personal reasons.

I completely understand, and I usually tend to prefer private party sales over dealerships simply because they are typically more expensive (re: overhead costs, profit margins, etc).

Also, I agree...private party prices are always all over the place. When I buy or sell something, I scour the 'net to find comps and price mine where I feel it is best then get ready for the onslaught of 'yard sale' buyers : )

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
TwistedGray wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

3) Dealer prices are always higher than NADA. They are in it to make money. Private sales are all over the place because most haven't got a clue what it's worth.

Dealers also have overhead to pay (employee pay, benefits, leasing/building costs, utilities, etc), and private parties do not. Yes, they are in place to make money, but they also have an extensive list of costs that you and I don't factor in.

I didn't mean it as a negative. They are in it professionally, so they know the prices and they aren't going to take a loss on a deal.

Not uncommon to find a private party where the price has nothing to do with the market....often for a variety of personal reasons.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
TwistedGray wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

3) Dealer prices are always higher than NADA. They are in it to make money. Private sales are all over the place because most haven't got a clue what it's worth.

Dealers also have overhead to pay (employee pay, benefits, leasing/building costs, utilities, etc), and private parties do not. Yes, they are in place to make money, but they also have an extensive list of costs that you and I don't factor in.

Durb wrote:
In my experience NADA was not even in the ballpark. I sold a trailer 6 years ago for $21k and NADA was $8k. The problem is many lenders use NADA for loan guidance. I suggest you do a lot of research and looking. You will soon get a real good idea of what is a good price or a poor price. You may walk away from some good deals but when you see a great deal you will know immediately. I agree with the above, condition is the key.

Agree, but expect any private party buyer to quote NADA values. You should go through Craigslist, Facebook, and other sites to have a ballpark of what comparables are and be ready to defend you pricing should it be more.

The one thing I will add - If you are buying and planning to (re)sell and upgrade (for example), consider what you are buying and how many of that type exist on Craigslist, Facebook, and other sites. If there are hundreds of available then you are going to be one of those when you go to (re)sell. In other words, good luck.

You are never going to go wrong if you over research ; )

All of the dealer pricing that I have seen bounced against the NADA pricing shows the dealer pricing considerably lower or equal to the NADA pricing which surprised me. Most of the private party pricing has always been much higher than the NADA pricing which I think bears out that most private sellers don't seem to know much about NADA where the dealers are in the business of knowing what an RV is worth. Just my observation which could be wrong for various reasons.

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Durb wrote:
In my experience NADA was not even in the ballpark. I sold a trailer 6 years ago for $21k and NADA was $8k. The problem is many lenders use NADA for loan guidance. I suggest you do a lot of research and looking. You will soon get a real good idea of what is a good price or a poor price. You may walk away from some good deals but when you see a great deal you will know immediately. I agree with the above, condition is the key.

Agree, but expect any private party buyer to quote NADA values. You should go through Craigslist, Facebook, and other sites to have a ballpark of what comparables are and be ready to defend you pricing should it be more.

The one thing I will add - If you are buying and planning to (re)sell and upgrade (for example), consider what you are buying and how many of that type exist on Craigslist, Facebook, and other sites. If there are hundreds of available then you are going to be one of those when you go to (re)sell. In other words, good luck.

You are never going to go wrong if you over research ; )

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1) Corona has thrown everything out of wack.
2) They won't be as accurate as NADA on an F150 because there a million F150's per year sold, so the market is huge and they have enough sales data to dial in the values. An RV model that sells 5,000/yr is a popular model.
4) Condition is huge in RVs and it can dramatically change the price.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It's Coronacrud season. The market was drained this past spring, and at the moment there is so little inventory out there that dealers will demand a premium, and private parties are trying to ride the same train.
A year ago you could evpect new tt's and 5er's to sell for 25-35% below claimed MSRP, now discounts are more like5-10% if any.