cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inflatable Kayaks

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any thoughts on these? Thinking about a two man version. We could occasionally use some sort of boat but don't want to haul a full size one around. Nothing too energetic paddling around lakes and such. We have a fold-boat at home but it's just too much trouble to haul around with the motor and fuel. Need to sell it actually.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
19 REPLIES 19

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Another brand to look at would be Paddle North. I have one of their paddleboards, but they have kayaks as well.

sdfiver
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Advanced Elements Island Voyage. We've had ours for three years now and it does work well. The air chambers inflate to 2 and 3 psi so it's quite stiff. We use the 2-way pump with a gauge to inflate it.
2016 F-350 6.7L Super Duty Platinum
2019 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Intex 2 inflatable and only used it once. I thought it would be easier to store and deal with but it's a bit of a pain to pack up and stow. I would say it doesn't paddle as fast or maneuver as well as a hard kayak. Looking back, I would pass on an inflatable.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK sounds like the Sea Eagle 370 is the popular choice. Thanks for all the suggestions
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Sea Eagle 370 works great for just simple paddling around. It's easy to inflate/deflate and stows easily in the pass through storage.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Sea Eagle "Fast Trak" 12'6" inflatable - could be paddled solo or tandem. Had nice low sides, with a skeg, so it wasn't too affected by a crosswind (a problem with so many inflatables) and if you jumped out of it to snorkel, for example, it was easy and stable to get back in. Folded up to suitcase size - we carried it under the kitchen table in our MH. I normally paddle "hard" kayaks - I would rate this model of inflatable as being quite comparable to a recreational kayak.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You dont really wipe off the folds, lol. Rinse it let it dry, ipen the deflate plug. Its rolled up in like 3 minutes. With foot pump they blow up prety fast. But you can always get a dc or ac air bed pump. Blows it up quickly and no work to the user.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thought about inflatables, but seemed like a lot of work to pump up, deflate and the wipe down all the folds.

Went with 2 Wilderness system Pungo's
We think separate Kayaks are more fun than tandems, but individual choice on that.

One tidbit, don't go with a 9 or 10 footer. Go with at least a 12 ft, tracks much better that a 10ft, and don't max out the weight rating, get one rated 50% ish more, than your weight. Will ride and track much better.

Very easy to haul in a PU, with a hitch expender. Boondox, makes a great one

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Some have said these are good also, just a bit bulky for me. But some have more room then others.
https://www.origamipaddler.com/pages/newhome?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szkM2zlBThi8cvmB_1N0Tp9xSEYqV4cjWGAWBYzqPvDAXJG_A-TP3NRoCN7YQAvD_BwE
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Any thoughts on these? Thinking about a two man version. We could occasionally use some sort of boat but don't want to haul a full size one around. Nothing too energetic paddling around lakes and such. We have a fold-boat at home but it's just too much trouble to haul around with the motor and fuel. Need to sell it actually.

We have a Hobi 2 person inflatable . Good quality but I have to admit on the pricey side.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
We have 2 of them, one 2 man sea eagle and one single Intek. As others stated they are good for what they are. Decent quality and pretty tough material. If you aren't a serious Kayaker and just want to get out on the water, they are fine. The obvious advantage to inflatable kayaks and Rv'ing is storing and transporting them. You have to be pretty creative to bring your standard stiff kayak in an RV. Inflatables are more stable than a rigid kayak so getting in and out of them is easier. They don't track as well but it's not horrible. I plan on picking up a propeller drill attachment. It's cheating but hey, I am no Olympic Kayaker.

Got a battery run propeller on my Coleman/Sevylor two-man inflatable kayak and people will kid me as "cheater."

It's convenient as @way2roll described.

Downside, it's sensitive to high winds and bad luck if it's head or side-wind to where you are going.

And most convenient when I bought a foldable big tired wagon to haul it, the paddles and the battery. I have to buy stadium seat for it too and the seat won't hold up unless you want to lie down flat.:B

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Haven TT, a foldable kayak, but expensive.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
We have 2 of them, one 2 man sea eagle and one single Intek. As others stated they are good for what they are. Decent quality and pretty tough material. If you aren't a serious Kayaker and just want to get out on the water, they are fine. The obvious advantage to inflatable kayaks and Rv'ing is storing and transporting them. You have to be pretty creative to bring your standard stiff kayak in an RV. Inflatables are more stable than a rigid kayak so getting in and out of them is easier. They don't track as well but it's not horrible. I plan on picking up a propeller drill attachment. It's cheating but hey, I am no Olympic Kayaker.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2 of the Intex 2 man inflatable Kayaks. They work good for what they are. Iโ€™ve used them in the Tetons on Jackson Lake and down in the Gulf in Navarre FL. They are heavy and bulky, so when packing and storing them they take some work to move. Now that we have the MH and I tow our Explorer Iโ€™m thinking about getting a decent hard surface Kayak and putting them on the roof of the Explorer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!