cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

glenntwo
Explorer
Explorer
GGup wrote:
Virgin Mobile...well, I guess we need a WiFi signal first...Duh..:S

Since we have none that does not work. Why the Air Card does and what frequency it is on is my mystery. In the mornings like now I have reception on it and maybe at night. I know the skip of the signal but there seems NO WAY to boost that reception.

So until I get a WiFi signal looks like the Air Card of AT%T is the best we will do until we go to town and use the local cafe/bar WiFi in BIG WELLS. Could be worse...have to go get the mail anyway so just take the computer with me if the signal was lost before I got done in the morning.

So if anyone else has any ideas let me know. I have looked into Hughes Net but they want a permanent pole and then $150 or more service call IF I move. So have ruled that out for now.

Are you getting a signal with your Virgin Mobile? If you are, then what you need to do is go to Radio Shack and get one of their smart phones and get a wi-fi app for it. I have the LG Optimus V (droid phone)on their network and it's great. Downloaded an app for wifi that was free, and now whenever I want to use my laptop, I just crank up the wifi on my phone. As long as I have a Cell signal, I can get wifi.

VM is cheap too. I pay $43.50 a month for 1200 minutes, unl. texting, and unl. data. No contract, and the phone was 129 at Radio Shack. It's the Sprint net so it should be good just about anywhere.

Sorry I'm responding to a quote from over a month ago, but I just found this thread and I'm trying to get up to speed.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think all you gate guards are being taken advantage of. Of course they're gonna stop by and give you turkeys and hams, etc. Cause they are getting good CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP labor. Labor that's not even minimum wage for some of you.

I think you should communicate/demand a better wage scale. Some type of sliding scale. 8 hour a day pay (at least minimum wage) for every day you sit on the gate, trucks or no trucks. And that minimum wage ends at 40 hours. Then it's time and a half if you got trucks thru the gate. That's what a union plumber gets after 40 hours. Based on a 0700 to 1700 work schedule. Any gate work outside those hours is "non-normal work hours" which would be sometype of sliding increase. If you are sitting on the gate on a Saturday, 8 hours at time and a half. If you are sitting on a gate on Sunday or a holiday, double time.

This is the OIL INDUSTRY. One of the greediest money making organizations out there. Look at the profits these companies are making. Look at what they pay those roughnecks.

They have SCORED BIG TIME, finding a segment of the population, retired RVers, etc., they can take advantage of. They're laughing all the way to the bank. They got you guys sitting in the mud, heat, dust for peanuts.
Yep, great idea, unionize, and sue your way out of a job. If it gets to be expensive enough, they can surely find another way to secure the gate other than have an unarmed retiree sitting there. Cameras and a central security office with electronic locks on an electronic gate comes to mind. Force the wages up, with overtime, double time, holiday pay, etc. you can bet at the very least the duties will change. If I was paying double time, you can bet that sitting in the RV watching TV between arrivals will no longer be acceptable. I am sure there are lots of tasks an hourly employee being paid in excess of $15.00 and hour could be required to do along with watching the gate. Somehow I don't feel this is a boat that needs to be rocked. I haven't seen many posts on gate guarding where the guards are unhappy or forced to be there.

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think all you gate guards are being taken advantage of. Of course they're gonna stop by and give you turkeys and hams, etc. Cause they are getting good CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP labor. Labor that's not even minimum wage for some of you.

I think you should communicate/demand a better wage scale. Some type of sliding scale. 8 hour a day pay (at least minimum wage) for every day you sit on the gate, trucks or no trucks. And that minimum wage ends at 40 hours. Then it's time and a half if you got trucks thru the gate. That's what a union plumber gets after 40 hours. Based on a 0700 to 1700 work schedule. Any gate work outside those hours is "non-normal work hours" which would be sometype of sliding increase. If you are sitting on the gate on a Saturday, 8 hours at time and a half. If you are sitting on a gate on Sunday or a holiday, double time.

This is the OIL INDUSTRY. One of the greediest money making organizations out there. Look at the profits these companies are making. Look at what they pay those roughnecks.

They have SCORED BIG TIME, finding a segment of the population, retired RVers, etc., they can take advantage of. They're laughing all the way to the bank. They got you guys sitting in the mud, heat, dust for peanuts.

It's just a matter of time. The DOL is on top of this issue. C+K Rentals in Cuero, TX was hit with with over $400K in back pay last summer. (and paid it) GGS bought some time with their law suit, but from the expert (attorney) opinions I've read, DOL will eventually get them too.

That being said, I could care less what they pay. I say if you don't like the pay, hitch up and go. I must say tho, the money is there. I spoke with an 80 year young gentleman that has 1500 acres (not sure how many wells), and he is knocking down 10 grand per day. That's a lot of cash. He told me he farmed for about 50 years, always having to live on borrowed money. Said he paid everything off, and told the bank to kiss his ***. He also said his son and DIL are spending it for him.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Darn, all you young pups are starting to make this alltimer feel old....:B....I was around well before WW-II and I can still answer the call, when the bell rings.....:)...I retired from my 1st job 34 years ago.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

rabajara
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the thing with retirees being gate guards. It is extra money for us to have fun on during the summer months, (for most of us). We have trouble getting in and out of the camper steps. Slow at times. Sometimes our memory is on strike (or taking a break). The rest i cannot remember, and they still hire us as contractors. Most of us are glad there is a place for us to still work, and feel useful. At least we are not yet in a Nursing Home, screaming for a brief and wheelchair. Keeps us going up and down all the time, just look at the calories we are burning. I still get $875.000 in 7 days for all this. No one is wrong on their opinion of the job, just gotta look at it the way we "alltimers" see it. Sure i would love to have more money, but i am glad there is still a job out there that i can still do today at age 66 and almost 67.
I don't claim to be 100% right. I do enjoy reading everyone else take on the gate guarding job. I am not a green horn now, so no more taking smart remarks from anyone, or i will roll out on you.

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:

Hey I aint gettin no peanuts....I love peanuts all they give me for sitting here writin in a license number once in a while is $$$. Not a bad way to put money in the bank. I write down a license number they pay. No lifting, no arguing with other employees, and after 38 years of labor NO DAM UNION. You do what you like but stay away from here, we don't need your attitude.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

cheezkween
Explorer
Explorer
What an interesting perspective- this poster thinks because we are not screwing the oil companies out of every possible penny imaginable, gate guards must be being taken advantage of.

Gate guards tend to be pretty independent- in fact, its really a requirement for the job. I'd imagine any one of us is capable of deciding whether the compensation is adequate for the labor involved, without help from a gimme-more union guy.

The poster also fails to understand the value of the provided utilities- our monthly expenses pretty much amount to food and personal items, with many other out-of-pocket expenses like phone and internet largely deductible on our taxes. Our bankable compensation is a much bigger percentage of our checks than in other work scenarios.

The real bottom line is this- this is a low skills/low labor/high work ethics job. The physical work environment is not a plush air-conditioned office, but its a long way from arduous.

The free market is working exactly as it should here; jobs are offered at a scale that is acceptable to sufficient people to fill the available jobs. Wages have increased within the past year or two to reflect the reality of this job market.

gktsuda1956 wrote:

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:

After struggling to find ANY work last winter in Florida and working like a dog for below minimum wage in campgrounds, I'm glad to have the job. My coach has wheels and I can go as I please. Noone is taking advantage of me.
Mark Bass

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
There was a break down of the wages compared to Amazon,and when it was all said and done monthly paid better than Amazon.plus your not stuck in the cold,on your feet all day,ect. When we stopped at Bob's gate a while back,it was not busy.We would love to do it,but with our shows we do,it conflicted with the times we wanted to gate guard.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
In 45 years of regular work, I never had a need for a union or its perceived benefits and I see no need for one today. I make way more than $10/hr for every hour worked, as a gate guard and enjoy the work and people. Thanks for your suggestion, but no thanks, we're fine without outside union intervention. The oil industry has been good to us and I think we'll keep it that way.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

Not applicable

Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
mdbass wrote:

A little shunning seems to work, too.

:B...We did that with a Petro Hawk company man last year, just ignored him and only spoke when directly addressed by him, then with as few words as possible. After about a month, he came and apologized for his past words and actions, and asked what he could do to make it right. I told him he had, with the apology and we went forward from there without any more problems. Yep, the cold shoulder works wonders, sometimes......:)

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Ajones42 wrote:
The Texan wrote:
I don't know about this year with EOG here on the Eagle Ford shale, but last year the regional Company man was not one I would work for again, ever. There is a new regional Company man this year and I understand things are better, but the taste left in my mouth last year is enough for us to say NO to any EOG gate here in the south. Up north on the Barnett shale, it sounds like they have a good Company man, so things are different. I'll give any company a decent chance, but our home has wheels for a reason and mis-treatment of me or my wife, is not conducive to my speaking good words of them, or staying on a gate.

You are not the only one I have heard that from Bob. I would react the same. I don't tolerate rude behavior from any man.

Ditto; but we've had our share and; so far, we've converted them through kindness. (knock on wood) A little shunning seems to work, too.
Mark Bass

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
"This morning at 1:15, the bell rings and I thought..what?? ..Went outside and it was a tanker and I knew for sure he wasn't supposed to be here. He was lost!! I guess if we had not been here and the gate was locked, he would have had to back up for 4 mi, because the road is too narrow to turn around."

I hope he topped of the fuel tanks on your MH and toad.:B
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
We moved to our new gate Sun..Love it, 4 mi down a dead-end road. We were expecting no traffic because the rig is not here yet. This morning at 1:15, the bell rings and I thought..what?? ..Went outside and it was a tanker and I knew for sure he wasn't supposed to be here. He was lost!! I guess if we had not been here and the gate was locked, he would have had to back up for 4 mi, because the road is too narrow to turn around.