cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
abusman40 wrote:
The Texan wrote:
My question is how do you satisfy Texas DPS security laws..:?.. You are NOT permitted to work as an independent on a level II license, you have to work for a licensed guard company with a class A or B license. If some company says they have the proper license, you better make sure, as it is your butt, if they don't.

No license is needed if working on private property.
I guess I am missing something here. We are on "private" property, owned by Pioneer and we are required by law to have a license and be shown on a company rooster. What is your definition of "private" property..:?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
My question is how do you satisfy Texas DPS security laws..:?.. You are NOT permitted to work as an independent on a level II license, you have to work for a licensed guard company with a class A or B license. If some company says they have the proper license, you better make sure, as it is your butt, if they don't.

No license is needed if working on private property.

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
mdbass wrote:
Howdy, we are back in the land of Mickey D's and internet. Along the way; however, the engine in our motorcoach blew up. :E So, we are sitting in Pearsall waiting on a mechanic. It is good to be able to communicate with you all again!

Is Missy back?
Where will you be working?
Who are you working for?

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, we are back in the land of Mickey D's and internet. Along the way; however, the engine in our motorcoach blew up. :E So, we are sitting in Pearsall waiting on a mechanic. It is good to be able to communicate with you all again!
Mark Bass

maxx233
Explorer
Explorer
firedoc wrote:
Max,
Must not need medical insurance (but your young). Be thankful and don't look over your shoulder.:E

True! I naively had neglected that, and I should have factored that in since I did have it at my previous 'real job' ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think if it were an issue further near the forefront of my attention, I'd either get private insurance (although I hear that's pretty much a joke, or rather a false-security), or when the time came to consider spending some of the money in our savings I'd just say that we need to keep about half of it for possible emergencies. I know in the grand scheme of the medical machine that keeping $10-15k around may not offer much security for anything but the most trivial surgeries or normal doctor visits and medicine - but it's more a philosophical point to me. At some point, even if I was facing eminent death, I'd rather make my money in relative peace and spend that money to enjoy what time I have left rather than to endure the time I have left with one operation after another and no promise that I may wake up from the next one.

And this job allows just that - it's making connections with people, spending lots of time with a spouse that you presumably love (or else you'd probably drive each other nuts after about a month of this job!), and it's making a good amount of quick money that can be spent to continue travel or whatever else you may be after in life. With the number of jobs that offer medical insurance dwindling, non-existant as far as I know in the workamper world(?) - as well as the perpetually narrowing benefits of employer-provided insurance - my argument still remains that this job does pay quite well, even though some people get put off by equating it to be $5-something an hour. Try to find another job that for at least half of the year you can come and go at will, and at the end of 2 months, 3 months, 6 months of sitting around doing whatever you want 98% of the time and not working hard the other 2% - you can walk away with as much money as this job provides.

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
I would much rather get my $125 a day and not have to worry about the equipment and getting replacements when wanted or needed.
That sounds too stressful..That's why I took early retirement six years ago, to take life a little easier.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
Leathercrafter...so you got me to the new gate but I still had to drive and make at least 2 trips. What if you do not tow your other vehicle...like we drive a MH with a trailer behind it and a car to go to do the errands. You did not comment on the other possible outdcomes which working that close together for 2 years 24/7 could cause problems...I know of several wives that are not on the gate with the husband after only 6 to 9 months. So that does happen. Some people need a break. Some could do it...but a 2 year contract would sure stop me from doing it. So I put it out there as Food for Thought!
We like the job but would only want to do it for 2 months and then a break. Maybe we are "odd" but talking to others I find this a more reasonable feeling than going for over even 1 year.

What happens IF you have a family or medical emergency? Do you find your own replacement?

Bottom line in my mind is to think that one over a lot before committing.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
Leathercrafter wrote:
Not everyone gets the "snoozer" gates like Texan. We've been on gates where there were 30 pages of incoming traffic to the site per day and only paid the $125/day rate.

As far as pay for the work, I know of one couple that was offered by an oil company to work directly for them. They would be under a 2-year contract. The rate of pay was $450/day. They would have to provide their own equipment and insurance, but the oil company would provide the fuel and water. Yes, it would be a chunk of change to initially purchase the generator, water tank, sewer set up and hauling trailers, but you would quickly recoup the $$$ at that rate of pay. Do the math - $450 x 365 = $160,000+.

I'm looking at going direct as I've been approached by a company saw how we operate and wants us to come to work for them.

What I found was a good source to rent the equipment and the source will service it with water and fuel all at a very reasonable rate that would allow me to net $250+ per day.The name of the company is Coastal Technical Service, Scott Mapes, 361-205-3315. Tell him Dick & Nancy sent ya.

firedoc
Explorer
Explorer
Max,
Must not need medical insurance (but your young). Be thankful and don't look over your shoulder.:E
'06' 38L Fleetwood Bounder
6 speed Allison
300 Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Roadmaster baseplate
Ready Brute Tow Bar
And M&G brake system

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Leathercrafter wrote:

Texan: That is a lot of vehicles. But a gate guard doing 30 pages a day would in less than 30 days surpass the number you did in 8 months. That sounds like the gate last year that was being paid $575/day, between La Pryor and Crystal City. I know we would NOT do a gate like that for the std rate of pay....These boots are made for walking, but not that well made...:B I was just pulling your leg about the gate being a snoozer. ๐Ÿ™‚that's what the smiley was for......LOL

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer
GGup: I would think that if one drove your RV and another drove a truck towing the gen trailer to the new spot, then you would have someone there at the new gate with the RV set up. Then you would have to make a second trip for the sewer trailer. I know one guy who would tag the gen trailer on the back of his rig and then the spouse would tow the sewer trailer. So it was all done in one swoop. I suspect that in some instances you might be able to get the company man to have someone tow one or both trailers for you to the new spot.

Texan: That is a lot of vehicles. But a gate guard doing 30 pages a day would in less than 30 days surpass the number you did in 8 months. I was just pulling your leg about the gate being a snoozer. ๐Ÿ™‚

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Leathercrafter wrote:
Not everyone gets the "snoozer" gates like Texan. We've been on gates where there were 30 pages of incoming traffic to the site per day and only paid the $125/day rate.
We have over 650 log pages on this gate, so I don't consider it a snoozer....:B

650x26x2=35,800 vehicles checked in/out.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
I think "FEW" that want to sign a 2 year contract and work 7/24 for 2 years!!!! That is $80,000 each minus the gen..lights, bells, hoses, cords, septic tank and pumper cost and upkeep...and YOU have to move it all each time they move!!! NO THANK YOU>>>>it may look good but if you move 70 miles and have to make a trip for each item...WOW...and guard the new gate while the other one moves all the stuff!!!

So IF they will do all those things for you...well, money might look good but what IF you break the 2 year contract. What IF it cost you your marriage, what will that cost each of you.

JSHT of mine on that deal.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer

As far as pay for the work, I know of one couple that was offered by an oil company to work directly for them. They would be under a 2-year contract. The rate of pay was $450/day. They would have to provide their own equipment and insurance, but the oil company would provide the fuel and water. Yes, it would be a chunk of change to initially purchase the generator, water tank, sewer set up and hauling trailers, but you would quickly recoup the $$$ at that rate of pay. Do the math - $450 x 365 = $160,000+.