cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
We have heard of RVs being searched, we know for a fact of only one instance in the past 2 years of gg'ing. It does happen but not often. It may be used purposely to rid the GG company of a couple they want gone anyway.

The DW and I have discussed it at length and have decided we will NOT submit to any warrantless search of the inside of the RV or our personal vehicle. That applies to working a rig or just out in the world in general. If it costs us an assignment/job so be it.

We quit one company when they required us to sign a ridiculous NDA. Their loss; not ours.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

gatekeepers
Explorer
Explorer
the meaning of right and legal has changed in my lifetime, it no longer takes into account, personal privacy or do unto others as you would have them do unto you or the fact that there is no known issue to be delt with. you no longer have to be creating a problem to be suspect. and it aint going to get better.

i know of three seaches ALL had a rig on the pad.

gatekeepers
Explorer
Explorer
if you are at a gate you have agreed to such a search (at least in their opinion) they WILL FIRE YOU if you refuse. some use dogs some do not they went thru every drawer cabinet you name it.
looking for drugs-firearms-alcohol

i know it is happening i want to find out how common it is.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We worked in the industry from 2007 to this past month and yes, this is common. How you are treated as a gate guard, depends on how the energy lease is written. On some properties we were NOT parked on lease land and they could not search our RV, but that is the exception. Every energy company without exception has the right and do execute searches, mostly when they have had reports of a problem, but some do it on a random basis.

Is it legal, yes, as you are working on their property or lease and the contract between the gate guard company that you work for and the energy company, will have that clause written into it. If this bothers you, then you have a couple of choices, do not work in the industry or expect a search and abide by the rules.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
As for searches in the Energy world - cant change it! Since 911 and due to the strict safety rules/mandates - many of the companies in this field have the right to do so, on "their property." However, MOST if not ALL use dogs when it comes to common areas; such as your vehicle ... no need to open anything, they will complete a walk-around and done. Dogs are just unbelieveable...

As for drug and alcohol ..."top of the chan food chain to the btm" - just as you noted
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

waywardwinds
Explorer
Explorer
this part bothers me. does any one have more input on this? as far as i'm concerned the coach is our home. so does this happen very offten if so it does not seem legal. if we didn't sleep and live there only worked our shift it would be differnt.
if they want to search us they can search the car and the basement of the coach but i won't let them go though my wife and my persenol belongings we would just have to find another job. i'm not the type of guy that will let someone go though the wifes underware drawers just cause they say they want to and they can.

gatekeepers
Explorer
Explorer
have any of you gate guards had your rv searched by an energy company or your gate guard co.

we were searched on aug 21-2012 the searchers were chesapeak exect's. they also pee tested us and checked our breath for alcohal.

they searched every trailer and every pickup and car of the rig workers too. even the co mans office. they tested the rig workers too.

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
mdbass wrote:
klg3153 wrote:
It is a dirty ,hot job but it did pay well, We are not going to do it again in Texas

Exceed the field superintendents expectations and keep the land owner happy and you'll get better gates and stay working. You'll also make more which makes the dust, mud and dry skin tolerable.

We got an unexpected bonus yesterday!! A great perk...Like MD said, It sure helps to keep everybody happy!!

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
klg3153 wrote:
It is a dirty ,hot job but it did pay well, We are not going to do it again in Texas

Exceed the field superintendents expectations and keep the land owner happy and you'll get better gates and stay working. You'll also make more which makes the dust, mud and dry skin tolerable.
Mark Bass

klg3153
Explorer
Explorer
We worked for LOMA this summer and they were pretty good to us. We were told not to drink the water, just to use it for washing and showers. We knew about their campground that had the laundry,showers and the garbage trailer. Our first gate was the Craft Ranch Gate witch was way out in the boonies and our next gate was at the Winsor Ranch and it was closer to Catulla. It was better there then Craft Ranch, we had less traffic because it was the only well site there. The dust was bad, but my husband didn't want the road watered down because it just made mud that got tracked into the motorhome my feet also broke out because I'm alergic to whats was in the dirt They cleared upafter we got back to West Virginia. It is a dirty ,hot job but it did pay well, We are not going to do it again in Texas we are going to check into gate guarding in Ohio,PA and W. VA. Does any one know anything about doing gate guarding here in West Virginia, Pennsalvinia or Ohio?
Kris, Dennis and Buster
1996 Vogue Prima Vista
28 ft. trailer
2009 Kia Sportage
We are Busters parents and he runs the show.

waywardwinds
Explorer
Explorer
well we are doing it. going to head down there last weeek of the month signed up with time keepers. hope to be in jourdanton by the first to wait on a gate.
we want to thank all of you here for all the great infor. here or private posts. we want to get started and time keepers was the only company that sent us any thing or returned any calls.
thanks again guys and gals.
john and carol & one very ugly lab
2000 holiday rambler endeavor.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
:h Other problems for Gate Guards via the San Antonio Express!

Watch the sky! :B

Please report for your area as we have not seen any yet. We are West of Cotulla about 15 miles.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
mdbass wrote:
WagginTailsRV wrote:
For those who are working gates now and have motor homes, how do you keep your propane tank filled?

It's problematic and requires pre-planning. We fill when we get below or near a half tank. There is a large facility outside of Karnes City and near Von Ormy. You have to search around on the net and ask the locals. We get about a year of use out of our internal tank.

We reserve our onboard tank for emergency use and rely on an extend a stay fitting which allows us to use external tanks which are easily transported for fill up.

More info here
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
WagginTailsRV wrote:
For those who are working gates now and have motor homes, how do you keep your propane tank filled?

It's problematic and requires pre-planning. We fill when we get below or near a half tank. There is a large facility outside of Karnes City and near Von Ormy. You have to search around on the net and ask the locals. We get about a year of use out of our internal tank.
Mark Bass

rob-bill
Explorer
Explorer
Ajones42 wrote:
rob-bill wrote:

Go to http:www.myoldrv.com and click on Oilfield Guard info and you will find a list of companys and a lot of other good info.
This guy Andy also has a forum MyOldRVForums that has a lot of good info on GGing try these and you will find your info.

Clickable link

I think the link for the gate guard forum is in my sig line

Thanks your info on the links will help new members find info they might be looking for