cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
Is this thread still open haven't seen much activity.
I dont rent out space in my brain

gatekeepers
Explorer
Explorer
suse1023
your timing to get gate guarding should be good. things will pick up by then and some gate guards will be leaving. it has been a cold winter here and pretty slow for gate guards. loma lost 70 gates in sept so most of those gate guards have had to find another gate co. shell has mostly moved to west tx.
in Catarina and Cotulla things have slowed way down.
tildon and Gonzales are picking up pretty good.

suse1023
Explorer
Explorer
hi folks---and thank you for such excellent information--this 121 pages is a huge resource!

my dh and I are headed to texas in six weeks to begin our gate guarding work.
the concept isn't new to us, as my parents guarded a gate at a water resource for cattle way back in the early 80's. they loved it and talked about it often before they passed away.
so here we are almost full circle, and to say we're excited about getting back to work is an understatement!
we left our work with disabled folks back in june when I became ill--now I am declared healthy so we are itching to get some income stream again.
I spoke with patty at ggs yesterday and she assured me she'd have us working within a day or two of arriving, so we feel good about getting our foot in the door with them.
we know summer weather can be brutal, and many guards leave for the hottest months. we think that provides opportunity and we intend to take advantage of it!

rabajara
Explorer
Explorer
Because I was not doing 43. There were 3 other guard ladies that got a ticket saying they were doing 43, all of us doing 43 isn't that a little strange. But how could I prove I was not doing 43, it is a matter of he said she said. All of us had out of state license plates. Now every one doing 43 how did we manage that.

Haulinhazmat
Explorer
Explorer
Speed limit 30 you are driving 43 that's 13 mph over the limit. How is that a speed trap?

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Brantime wrote:
We are new to the Gate Guarding family and have been working a whole 7 days as of now, lol!

Word of Warning for all Guards!!! Make sure that you set up all connections to your RV...the set up company hooked their Fresh water hose to our Black Tank Clean out connector instead of the Fresh Water Tank inlet, and let the 45 lbs of pressure run.

Needless to say, our Black Tank Blew the seems apart the the flood ensued. We are waiting for Forest River to get back to the RV Dealership that will be repairing/replacing the tanks, insulation, etc.

Not sure how that happened. I park and level the RV and do all the hookups. I have not heard of it being done any other way. When you go to a campground don't you do your own hookups? The oil patch should not be any different. I also conduct a daily check of all the hookups and the RV in general at least daily. I guess we/you learned a lesson.
Mark Bass

rabajara
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the street going to Wal-Mart. Speed limit is 30 on most of it. I got a ticket doing 43 through there and so did two more guards. They were doing 43 too. This is in Cureo. It is a speed trap.

Southern_Nights
Explorer
Explorer
Brantime wrote:
We are new to the Gate Guarding family and have been working a whole 7 days as of now, lol!

We are out of Cuero, Tx. and arrived in time for the rig to start tearing down and moving...so we had lots of traffic.

We are now getting ready for "Frac"ing and the traffic involoved. We are 24/7.

Word of Warning for all Guards!!! Make sure that you set up all connections to your RV...the set up company hooked their Fresh water hose to our Black Tank Clean out connector instead of the Fresh Water Tank inlet, and let the 45 lbs of pressure run.

Needless to say, our Black Tank Blew the seems apart the the flood ensued. We are waiting for Forest River to get back to the RV Dealership that will be repairing/replacing the tanks, insulation, etc.

We were also just notified that we will have to move as the piping is to run under the RV pad and our Rig.

So far, it has been an adventure, lol!

We spent about a month just outside of Cuero on a gate this past winter. Nice area. Hope things settle down for you.
Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer

We are out of Cuero, Tx. and arrived in time for the rig to start tearing down and moving...so we had lots of traffic.

We are now getting ready for "Frac"ing and the traffic involoved. We are 24/7.

We were also just notified that we will have to move as the piping is to run under the RV pad and our Rig.

So far, it has been an adventure, lol!
Just another day in Paradise!

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Any Gates available for a Single RV'er??
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

themothership
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, and I am very happy to know Imay be able to have both my pets and a gate guard position. My DH says he is onboard with the idea, so now I'll have to do a little homework to see which contractors the operators use. Carizzo, Cabot, and Chesapeake are some of the most active operators near where I'd like to be. Of course CHK just laid off almost everyone in their efforts to 'clean house'. Paterson UGI and maybe other drillers in the area. If anyone has any info on how these companies handle gate security or who they use I'd appreciate some contact info.
I have been a volunteer domestic energy advocate for the past 5 years and would love to get a job in the industry.
drill a gas well, bring a soldier home

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Pet policy varies from energy company to energy company. Several say NO dogs on company lease, but seldom enforce it. However if they want to, or any of the company men working that lease want to, then you are gone. Most are silent on the subject. We have always had dogs and never had a problem.

You may be required to sign some sort of contract with the GG company that says 1) no firearms allowed in your RV or vehicle 2) No alcohol or narcotics allowed in your RV or vehicle 3) No pets allowed 4) No long term guest allowed, while RV or vehicle is parked on energy company lease. Again, even if your company requires this contract, you will probably never see any of them enforced, unless you flaunt the prohibited item. Some energy companies do have roving security teams that may show up at your RV unannounced and request to do a search. Happened to us twice in 7 years and both times I respectfully declined without their obtaining a court ordered search warrant. Just remember that is your home, it has wheels and the GG company you work for will reassign you if the energy company ask that you be replaced under that scenario.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

themothership
Explorer
Explorer
New RV owner (class A Winnebago 34') hoping that gate guarding in the Marcellus shale region will be my future. I have read the first few and the last few pages of this discussion, as well as using the search function. I have not come across this subject, so apologize if I've missed it. I have a couple questions.
Do any of you have pets? I have 2 full size dogs and they are for protection as well as companionship. They are lab/sheepdog mix so not considered aggressive breeds. What is the policy regarding dogs on the well site? Anyone have any contacts with companies that may be hiring in PA? Looking forward to your replies, or PM me if more appropriate. Thanks,
mOm
drill a gas well, bring a soldier home

wciim
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on the same gate now 8 months. We are just off the paved road so very little dust. We have seen no snakes, but there is a huge hog in the neighborhood, hasn't bothered us yet. We love love love this job, however, will not work another summer in southern Texas! We have friends that work a gate not too far away, so that helps with the boredom and helps to have someone to go shopping with.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed back in another 2 months for our 9th and final season in the patch. In a way looking forward to it, but also in a way saying what the h.. are we doing this for at our age....:) I guess it boils down to the money is very good for a retirement supplement.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today