cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
Found a really great mobile RV Service. Russell Williams of Scruss and Smith RV. Works out of Dilley fully certified. Cell 281-536-7242.
Had a slide out not retracting. Russell came and took one look, walked over to his tool box got a boilt and 15 minutes later slide out is slide in.
I found him as one of the BHP co. men had used him.

Following is his post on another forum:

I'm a RVIA certified RV tech new to the area as a mobile RV service I'm a hands-on owner and I provide RV service to a large list of south Texas areas. If you want to know more about my service you can check my website, www.scrussandsmithrv.com

-feel free to inquiry about anything you want. I've listed the proper links on my website to help you with that. I work my main job Monday thru Friday most the time and do work in evenings. I've done alot of work around the Dilley area and love helping people with RV's. Check out my website and feel free to ask questions the company is just starting to get off the ground.

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
Don/Shar wrote:
We had to have work done on 1 air conditioner. I know there has been searches for reliable repair men by some of our fellow Gate Guards. Well I am very happy to report that there is a very good and reliable RV Service repair man in the area. I asked how far east he would go and he said as far as a good job wants him to. He will go to Tilden, Three Rivers, and George west I know because I asked him. He replace a motor and fan in my front air total for labor, service call and parts $367. My air never sounded this quiet before. He also has new air conditioners on hand should anyone want a new one put in.
RV/ Camper Repairs
Norman Chasten
Carrizo Springs
830-255-9515
He is good, quick and on time and very reasonable.

Please people take note....I had very good luck with this person and I am very happy with the work he did for me.But a very good friend of mine contacted him on my recomendation and came to an agreement, but hasn't been able to contact him, and leaveing messages and he is not calling back. If you need service and call this service man please don't do it because I was happy with him. Do so because you need service and good luck.
Note....I would still contact him if I needed something.

I used Norman and he did preform the work quickly and at a very reasonable rate.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
:?:@:h:R Then they back up and you :B and all is :C!!! Oh, ya we have a STOP SIGN also. Plus a safety officer and most want their company back on site...and they want to keep their job...so:)
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
We had to have work done on 1 air conditioner. I know there has been searches for reliable repair men by some of our fellow Gate Guards. Well I am very happy to report that there is a very good and reliable RV Service repair man in the area. I asked how far east he would go and he said as far as a good job wants him to. He will go to Tilden, Three Rivers, and George west I know because I asked him. He replace a motor and fan in my front air total for labor, service call and parts $367. My air never sounded this quiet before. He also has new air conditioners on hand should anyone want a new one put in.
RV/ Camper Repairs
Norman Chasten
Carrizo Springs
830-255-9515
He is good, quick and on time and very reasonable.

Please people take note....I had very good luck with this person and I am very happy with the work he did for me.But a very good friend of mine contacted him on my recomendation and came to an agreement, but hasn't been able to contact him, and leaveing messages and he is not calling back. If you need service and call this service man please don't do it because I was happy with him. Do so because you need service and good luck.
Note....I would still contact him if I needed something.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Well we are in the Whittset yard, good to be out oif all that dust and wind. To all the Fathers and Grandfathers, and even Great Grandfathers ( I have 7 greatGrandchildren and one little angel GreatGranddaughter.) HAPPY FATHERS DAY !
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Nights wrote:
Do the seasons make a difference when it comes to how many people apply for Gate Guarding?
In other words, is there an over abundance of winter Texans looking for work in December and a shortage of people to work come March or April?
BIG time....right now, you have a gate before you arrive. In the winter you may wait for a week or more for an assignment.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Southern_Nights
Explorer
Explorer
Do the seasons make a difference when it comes to how many people apply for Gate Guarding?
In other words, is there an over abundance of winter Texans looking for work in December and a shortage of people to work come March or April?
Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! Don and Sharon-look us up when you get back. Good luck and safe journeys!!!!
Mark Bass

Southern_Nights
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Texan.
Larry and Samantha

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Nights wrote:

One thing I have not read on here is anything about pets. Our cat runs the other way when the door is opened but we have a small dog that likes to go outside as much as possible. She never leaves without a leash though.

Just wondering if the scent of a domesticated animal can bring out "unfriendlys" like snakes or coyotes in the more rural gates?

Most of us have dogs and have no problems. Yes, they can attract predators, but not a common thing. Some of the oil companies have a "no pet" rule, but it is more for the rig rats living in the crew house than the gate guards living in their own home. If the oil company is enforcing the rule, then you have the option of declining the assignment, without penalty. So don't let your dog be a deterrent.

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Sharon, you guys have a nice summer and we'll see you in the fall. They keep extending us on our gate and now say at least the end of July, before they close it.

Southern_Nights
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have been following this thread for a few months. We have found it to be very informative.

One thing I have not read on here is anything about pets. Our cat runs the other way when the door is opened but we have a small dog that likes to go outside as much as possible. She never leaves without a leash though.

Just wondering if the scent of a domesticated animal can bring out "unfriendlys" like snakes or coyotes in the more rural gates?

I lived in NE Texas back in the 70s and really liked it and really don't remember a big problem with with wildlife but everyone said west Texas was nothing like east Texas when it came to wildlife.
Larry and Samantha

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
It is time to say good-bye. I have really enjoyed the gate guard life and will be back. We were going to leave next Sunday heading toward Indiana for our 50th, the children have a party planned but were told that they were shutting down the gate tomorrow so we will be leaving a week early. hope everyone stays safe and drink lots of water....it gets really hot here in south Texas. I will be checking in now and then to see how everyone is doing.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note...that is enough. If you can't be civil...leave this discussion. I will delete with no warning from now on and the offenders will be reported to administration for review of member status.

I will not tolerate personal attacks. I have let this discussion run because I feel there is good information out there for a relatively new workcamper option.

Keep up the attacks and administration is likely to demand it be closed. Do you want that to happen?

DianneOK, moderator
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

maineiak
Explorer
Explorer
maineiak wrote:
jimmyfred wrote:
Ajones42 wrote:
jimmyfred wrote:
...........Just too clarify......My (4) listed items were....NOT....specifically referenced too any Particular company , Some workers just don't care and so someone is going to receive poor service , from time to time . , jf

Have you worked for any of the Big 3 gate guard companies?

...........Yes , and all GG companies are different ! Some want to micromanage and some have enough sense too allow their hires too use their own common sense and creativity when solving problems . , jf

What are the big 3 companies. I want to know if the one I work for is one of them