cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Might suggest that you delete just those posts you feel are out of line and maybe say why vs. closing the thread down. I look forward to new posts so would cut into my daily enjoyment. Thanks for listening.

You do not see what I HAVE deleted, just the ones that get by me before I get to them.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

rabajara
Explorer
Explorer
If i was the only one on here posting, and giving my opinion it would not be worth reading. All of you would get bored real quick. I get my coffee in the morning (when i can) get on computer to see what is being said about Gate Guarding. That is my way of staying connected to my fellow guards. I have met a few of them, and it was so nice to put a face to a name. I don't let any post get under my skin. Just glad someone posted, so i would have something new to read, even if i don't agree with them. We are still close to Karnes City off 181. H&P rig 460. Stop by if you are out this way.
Rick & Betty

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Got word yesterday to expect at least another 3 months and possibly longer on this gate. Love it.....
:B :C ๐Ÿ˜› :B

Great...we think we are on one of those type of gates. Hope we are and congrats to you.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, 2 day short of 3 months on this gate and finished page 300 on the check in log just now. Not bad for an easy gate that's only open for 1 shift 6 days a week. Got word yesterday to expect at least another 3 months and possibly longer on this gate. Love it.....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I hope this thread stays. I find it informative to someone in my position. I read everything in this section, gathering info for near future. Lots of good stuff ,in this thread and others, really gives a rounded picture of what to expect.
Happy ,Healthy New Year to all.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar....guess the Jalepinos should be the hotest thing on here!:B
When I read the "quality of life" (my definition) of being better for a GG by one poster brought tears to my eyes.

Would sure like to meet most of you as I think we have stories and experiences that are of interest to each other.

Moderator: Sorry, I will keep my remarks in my head on "Jalepeno" subjects, as they should have been.

Might suggest that you delete just those posts you feel are out of line and maybe say why vs. closing the thread down. I look forward to new posts so would cut into my daily enjoyment. Thanks for listening.

May we all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR and a Prosperous one.
Rememeber it is NEVER TO LATE TO HAVEA HAPPY CHILDHOOD.
B&W Companion hitch

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
We now have the Fracing crew in. About 40 trucks. Not to bad, tonight we got a catered dinner.....very good. Even got whole Jalapeno peppers. We have been kinda busy the last two days.
After having two illeagles on our ranch I asked for better lights outside, today I got 2 tower lights. The whole area is lit up like 12 noon. Thanks GGS.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Kilgorehorn = X2

I've been following this and several of the Workamping threads as I explore possible routes when I finally pull the plug & "retire" again (did it once from USAF, but that didn't stick)

Unions are HIGHLY political discussions with closely held beliefs on all sides of the discussion. If conversing like adults it can be lively and interesting. When it goes beyond that the whole discussion gets ugly.

Let's leave this thread and comments to the people doing the job or those with questions about the job. I like reading them and have learned a lot since starting.

Thanks to all
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

Kilgorehorn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for stepping in Dianne. I've learned a lot on this thread.
2000 Gulfstream Scenicruiser 39'
2011 Ford Flex
1946 DH
1952 DW
2008 Yorkie

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note....if this thread degenerates into a shouting match and/or union recruitment, it will be closed.

So far this has been a great way to gather info and learn about the work. Let's keep it that way.

DianneOK, moderator
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think all you gate guards are being taken advantage of. Of course they're gonna stop by and give you turkeys and hams, etc. Cause they are getting good CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP labor. Labor that's not even minimum wage for some of you.

They have SCORED BIG TIME, finding a segment of the population, retired RVers, etc., they can take advantage of. They're laughing all the way to the bank. They got you guys sitting in the mud, heat, dust for peanuts.

These gate guard threads usually take a nasty turn when someone decides the whole concept is offending to him -- personally. Invariably the offended person has zilch experience yet they are extremely outspoken in their opinion. A comparison would be the clerk at the 7-11 telling an auto mechanic or a heart surgeon how to run their business.

Internet commandos is what I call 'em and I go as much use for these folks as I do poison ivy.

Let me tell you my deal.... My wife and I are not retired and I made decent money doing what I did. My wife has a 70% physical disability that precludes her from a normal office job or any job that requires long periods of sitting or standing. She does not receive any disability payments. Sitting around not earning any money or being able to make any meaningful contributions to speak of just sucks and wreaks havoc on your self-esteem. We figured she can do this gate guard thing and I quit my job. Together we make less than I did alone BUT life sure is better.

Everybody has a story or a reason they are gate guards. Unless you have gotten up to answer that bell in the middle of a cold night or stood out in the blazing cauldron that is a Texas summer checking these guys in and out; you have no business even to think about being judgmental.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Many people don't understand, there are MANY places in the US that do not have cell service and a lot of those are here in Texas. We get service here, but friends less than 10 air miles west, have NO cell service. Last year in an area near Runge, we had no cell service for 54 days and even when the company provided us with an amplifier, it was hit and miss. The only guaranteed way to insure internet service, is satellite, like we have.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

glenntwo
Explorer
Explorer
GGup wrote:
glenntwo wrote:
Are you getting a signal with your Virgin Mobile? If you are, then what you need to do is go to Radio Shack and get one of their smart phones and get a wi-fi app for it. I have the LG Optimus V (droid phone)on their network and it's great. Downloaded an app for wifi that was free, and now whenever I want to use my laptop, I just crank up the wifi on my phone. As long as I have a Cell signal, I can get wifi.

No WiFi here at all. So went with Hughes Net and can use equipment I have w/o purchase of a phone, etc.

Thanks for the info.

What about cell signal? That's where you would be getting the wifi from. It's an application that allows you to use the data plan on your phone as your wifi. As long as you have cel signals, you have wifi. It may be a bit slow in a bad signal area, but you will still have it.

BTW, anyone with a BlackBerry or an Iphone can do it too, not just Droids. But you have to have a smart phone and a data plan. The old phones just won't cut it.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
glenntwo wrote:
Are you getting a signal with your Virgin Mobile? If you are, then what you need to do is go to Radio Shack and get one of their smart phones and get a wi-fi app for it. I have the LG Optimus V (droid phone)on their network and it's great. Downloaded an app for wifi that was free, and now whenever I want to use my laptop, I just crank up the wifi on my phone. As long as I have a Cell signal, I can get wifi.

No WiFi here at all. So went with Hughes Net and can use equipment I have w/o purchase of a phone, etc.

Thanks for the info.
B&W Companion hitch

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
weternrvparkowner wrote:
gktsuda1956 wrote:

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I think all you gate guards are being taken advantage of. Of course they're gonna stop by and give you turkeys and hams, etc. Cause they are getting good CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP labor. Labor that's not even minimum wage for some of you.

I think you should communicate/demand a better wage scale. Some type of sliding scale. 8 hour a day pay (at least minimum wage) for every day you sit on the gate, trucks or no trucks. And that minimum wage ends at 40 hours. Then it's time and a half if you got trucks thru the gate. That's what a union plumber gets after 40 hours. Based on a 0700 to 1700 work schedule. Any gate work outside those hours is "non-normal work hours" which would be sometype of sliding increase. If you are sitting on the gate on a Saturday, 8 hours at time and a half. If you are sitting on a gate on Sunday or a holiday, double time.

This is the OIL INDUSTRY. One of the greediest money making organizations out there. Look at the profits these companies are making. Look at what they pay those roughnecks.

They have SCORED BIG TIME, finding a segment of the population, retired RVers, etc., they can take advantage of. They're laughing all the way to the bank. They got you guys sitting in the mud, heat, dust for peanuts.

Westernrvparkowner posted:
Yep, great idea, unionize, and sue your way out of a job. If it gets to be expensive enough, they can surely find another way to secure the gate other than have an unarmed retiree sitting there. Cameras and a central security office with electronic locks on an electronic gate comes to mind. Force the wages up, with overtime, double time, holiday pay, etc. you can bet at the very least the duties will change. If I was paying double time, you can bet that sitting in the RV watching TV between arrivals will no longer be acceptable. I am sure there are lots of tasks an hourly employee being paid in excess of $15.00 and hour could be required to do along with watching the gate. Somehow I don't feel this is a boat that needs to be rocked. I haven't seen many posts on gate guarding where the guards are unhappy or forced to be there.

Everyone DOING the job that has posted expressed my feelings for sure. IF the OIL COMPANY is making so much PROFIT the Union Fellow probably has his retirement invested in OIL so they can pay him!!!

It seems to me that most of US are between 60 and 80 years old and that takes us back to the years where we worked and I mean worked for $1 an hour + or - . Were glad to get a job to pay for schooling and support a family/self. So now we are doing something we enjoy, 75% the time or better, giving dust, wind, rain, cold the other 20% and then maybe just a bad day for 2% and 3% just because!!! IF we did not then we would move down the road on our wheels and say I experienced that. But like brothers, we may talk and complain to each other, just let someone from outside the "family" attack what we express differently!!! You have the answer above!!!

UNIONS got this country into a lot of todays problems. Look at GM that we investors lost 100% of our investment $'s and the Gov. Motors was GIVEN to the UNION for VOTES!!! Give me a break do not break me, again. Each day is wonderful, and the pay is what I agreed to then found out many of the "benefits" that came out of being a GG and no travel to work and sleep in my own bed each night, plus ++++.
So if you have not done it, nor does it sound good too you, just go do something else and let us smile daily and expecially every two weeks!

I wonder if the Union person had the UNION job when Boeing told the last person out of Seattle to flip the light switch!!!! South Carolina I believe it was turned on the LIGHT...NO UNION. Careful what one wishes for.
B&W Companion hitch