cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Install CB radio or not?

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
I have a nice CB radio from a few years back from our last RV. With cell phones, GPS with traffic/etc., and FRS radios, does CB still have a place under the dash?

I don't just want to throw it away but it seems redundant. I will still have to get new antennae and stuff, but I'm on the fence.

I have a handheld CB radio that I could use for local comms, but the last time I listened, it was pretty foul language, angry discussions, and not much entertainment or help for that matter.

I have considered HAM radio, but don't have time to study for the exam at this point.

Opinions?
47 REPLIES 47

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
My two cents...
Many that have CB's only turn them on AFTER they are stuck in a traffic jam...asking "what's going on?"

another good use, asking which lane ahead is stopped, which to get in now.
bumpy

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents...

The new bred of truck driver has a smart phone attached to one ear, I-tunes blasting in the other. They are guided by GPS and drive trucks that the insurance industry has demananded be tuned down to 65,68,70 mph...they have no need of a BEAR REPORT because they can't even do the speed limit. Many that have CB's only turn them on AFTER they are stuck in a trafic jam...asking "what's going on?"

Being a bit older...I have a CB in my truck & I run one in my pick-up as well when pulling the mini-home.

Modern technology can give me a detour to the upcoming traffic jam, but it has never warned me of the broke-down truck that didn't quite make the shoulder. It has never warned me of the alligator sitting on the zipper or the muffler that fell off some kids 1st ride...or to watch for the evil-kneivel that is doing a wheel-stand at 80mph and will be beside me before I see him coming.

Those of us with CB's, laugh when a truck comes screaming over a knoll, trying to get stopped because they had no idea an accident just accured. We PRAY the get stopped, before they hit someone.

We watch the idiot in the right lane JERK the wheel as they round a bend to find a camper on the shoulder changing a tire. Hope they miss the guy....and others, as they sway into the other lane.

We shake our head as we try to warn them of a danger, only to hear silence in return. The self-absorbed new bred of trucker is so wrapped in their own world, they have no idea of their surroundings or what is upcoming....4 weeks of school, cut loose on the world...they are dangerous.

Can a CB get to be a pain in the @$$....Yes, I turn it down OFTEN, listen with one ear. Would I remove it from the BIG truck or the little truck? No way, not as long as I am pulling a trailer that requires considerable distance to stop and/or change lanes (both the big trailer and the travel trailer).

It is a TOOL that keeps my travels SAFER...as a professional and a vacationer.

If you do put a CB in the camper. Talk to US, we welcome ALL. We will, do, can help you negotiate the fuel island or truck stop parking lot. I have seen many of "campers" get in a pickle---if they had a radio, I would have gladly been their EYES behind them.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camping Woody wrote:
I have a nice CB radio from a few years back from our last RV. With cell phones, GPS with traffic/etc., and FRS radios, does CB still have a place under the dash?

I don't just want to throw it away but it seems redundant. I will still have to get new antennae and stuff, but I'm on the fence.

I have a handheld CB radio that I could use for local comms, but the last time I listened, it was pretty foul language, angry discussions, and not much entertainment or help for that matter.

I have considered HAM radio, but don't have time to study for the exam at this point.

Opinions?

I CHOSE to NOT reinstall a CB several vehicles ago, last vehicle it was in was a '97.

Didn't use it, simply could not use it from foul language to entirely too much noise from skip chasers.. Often the signal meter was pegged at the top from skip chasers and could not even hear my DW several car lengths in front of me.

We do not miss it at all..

A funny story.. Took my CB to a Hamfest last summer, a pretty nice early 1980s vintage with lots of shiny chrome (not the cheapo all plastic).. NOT ONCE DID ANYONE EVEN LOOK AT IT.

As far as Ham ticket goes, no code requirement and you do not have to really study.. You can get a study guide, read it then take a few sample tests.. The tests are made up of standardized question pools and the sample tests use that question pool..

The downside of a Ham ticket is it does lead to spending more, never can have enough equipment :S

But seriously, there are limitations with Ham radio, you will not find local traffic reports (however, not many truck drivers use or report via CB anymore, it IS an outmoded form of communications)..

You may however find weather nets whenever there is extremely dangerous weather (tornado, flooding, ect) on Ham radio, many Hams are heavily involved in Emergency communications and often relied on by the weather service for backup communications.

At least that is the way my local Ham clubs operate.

No business is to be conducted via Ham bands (which is why you won't find many truckers using it)..

However, as I mentioned before, many truckers use cellphones and other business band for communications now days since those are often more reliable than CB plus have no distance limitations..

Depending on the Ham band you are using you may need to use "repeaters", 2mtr (145 mhz), 220 mhz, 440 mhz are a few of the popular bands that you will find repeaters.. with 2mtrs being the most used band for mobile and home useage.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Here are different ways.
Antenna Information
Personally I like the one where the mount is attached with screws with the hood open and then the antenna attached to that and the cable run through an existing hole in the firewall.

good luck finding an opening large enough to get that fitting thru.
bumpy

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Here are different ways.
Antenna Information
Personally I like the one where the mount is attached with screws with the hood open and then the antenna attached to that and the cable run through an existing hole in the firewall.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I always travel with as much communication as possible, not only for traffic issues, but storm etc. Most CB have weather alerts and vital up to the second info on traffic problems via other drivers/truckers. I remember when I was in Columbia SC during the flooding the only means of reliable communication was using the CB. It helped me get around all the flooded roads. They are cheap enough and a good idea for over the road .

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to mount the antenna to the ladder at the back of the MH? It would involve running some length of coax and perhaps loss of signal over that 40 feet (down, across, up) I imagine, but that puts it up high and they make ladder mounts for antenna. I also remember that it must be a special antenna if it doesn't have a ground or ground plane or ?

Sorry, it was a while back and I don't remember the details. Technology may be better now.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Camping Woody wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Why not install it. It is not to hard and what have you got to lose ? You can always shut it off if there is to much chatter on it.

One concern with this MH is what type of antenna and where should I mount it? I don't want to drill holes in the roof or sides if I don't have to based on stories of water incursion.

Where do most people mount the antennae?

Ideas?

I use the thru glass type of antennas, both on my Class As and trucks. yes, a purist will say you lose strength, yes you do but I only want to talk 1 mile or so up and down the road, but do NOT use a thru the glass on dual pain windows, I discovered why once.
but yes, the OP already has the radio. install it.
bumpy

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Find a CB shop,, many times around some larger truck stops. There are several mounts and type of antenna available for mounting on a fiberglass front cap, a good B shop can advise, and probably install it for you.

Thanks!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find a CB shop,, many times around some larger truck stops. There are several mounts and type of antenna available for mounting on a fiberglass front cap, a good B shop can advise, and probably install it for you.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Why not install it. It is not to hard and what have you got to lose ? You can always shut it off if there is to much chatter on it.

One concern with this MH is what type of antenna and where should I mount it? I don't want to drill holes in the roof or sides if I don't have to based on stories of water incursion.

Where do most people mount the antennae?

Ideas?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Cell phones and XM radio have crowded in on CB's.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling the Interstate I use my CB way more than I use a credit card.
Not so much on the back roads. You only need one once and not have it to understand their usefulness. Mine is off most of time though.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)