cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Propride 3P hitch - final adjustments?

JaycoRickJoan
Explorer
Explorer
I am wrapping up my install of Propride 3P hitch on my 2005 Jayco FKS322 TT which will be towed by 2005 GMC 2500HD. Getting ready to make final adjustments then test drive.
Any recommendations, suggestions, tips on adjusting for best results? This is my first "non-typical" hitch and I want to be sure I don't miss anything. I have followed directions as written. The only deviation was with the spring bar links where directions stated "use middle of the 3 holes", and in order to install the "U" bolt connecting spring bar link to spring bar I had to use top hole and raise trailer hitch a bit. Otherwise I stuck to directions exactly.
Any adjustment tips? Thanks in advance!
Rick & Joan
Rogers, Arkansas
2005 Jayco Eagle 322FKS TT
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
:C
2 First Gen Camaros
5 REPLIES 5

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
chracatoa wrote:
Also, dial your breaks correctly or every time you break on the highway you will feel a pull to the left or right.

If the trailer brakes are not working properly on one side I suspect it would pull to the other regardless of what hitch you're using.

Actually, try to dial down your brakes completely and brake at high speed - you will feel the trailer pulling you to one side. You have to make the trailer lead it. This also causes the "Hensley" bump.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

lawdes
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the PP3. I have found that if one backs with too much of a jack knife, or turn too sharply, that yoke will tend to slide. i think it is made to do that rather than break pins, which the Hensley is designed to do as I understand. When that happens, I notice it may crab a little in its tracking behind the TV. I just loosen the nuts on the u-bolts and adjust, and re-tighten. Did have a problem with one of the jacks leaning out, and solved wiith some steel plates on both sides of the frame under the WD jacks.

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Goo wrote:
I found that mine was quite easy. After it was set up so that the trailer was level, I tightened the bars so that 1/2 the front end lift came back down (per Ford manual). I actually marked that spot on the spring bar jacks with a yellow paint pen. Now every time I hook up, that's where I crank it to.

I did the same thing when we sold our 2005 Sequoia for a 2013 F-150. We used to tow with 5-1/2" on the jacks and now it's 7". I have a small wooden block that I cut to length, but I sure like the paint pen idea!

Goo wrote:
If i find the ride a bit too bouncy, I'll lower the jacks a bit to put more weight on the tongue, but generally speaking the setup is not finicky at all.

I do see the trailer "hobby-horsing" more with the F-150 than I did with the Sequoia, but it doesn't seem to affect the ride in the truck. I did notice that the receiver is a looser fit for the stinger now.

chracatoa wrote:
See if you get the weight distribution part right otherwise you'll bounce around (though you have a 2500 so you may not feel it). Also, dial your breaks correctly or every time you break on the highway you will feel a pull to the left or right.

If the trailer brakes are not working properly on one side I suspect it would pull to the other regardless of what hitch you're using.

We had an issue with pulling to the left once and I thought we had a trailer brake failure. Turns out the yoke had shifted - we parked the trailer at a friend's place and he used his tractor bucket (?!) to move it. The hanger bracket slid to the curb side:

Once I centred the bracket again, the problem was solved.

2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
See if you get the weight distribution part right otherwise you'll bounce around (though you have a 2500 so you may not feel it). Also, dial your breaks correctly or every time you break on the highway you will feel a pull to the left or right.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

Goo
Explorer
Explorer
I found that mine was quite easy. After it was set up so that the trailer was level, I tightened the bars so that 1/2 the front end lift came back down (per Ford manual). I actually marked that spot on the spring bar jacks with a yellow paint pen. Now every time I hook up, that's where I crank it to.
If i find the ride a bit too bouncy, I'll lower the jacks a bit to put more weight on the tongue, but generally speaking the setup is not finicky at all.

Good luck!
Pete
08 Trail Cruiser TC26QBH
2012 F150 FX4 Screw MaxTow
03 4Runner Limited V8 (SOLD *sniff*)
Wife
2 Kids
Dog