cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance Question

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering where everyone get their insurance for their 5er? I just got an adjusted premium from State Farm. They base it on the MSRP which is over $36,000. They sell all over for $23-27,000. It raises my premium by about $150 a year. The interesting thing is that if it got stolen or burned down they wouldn't pay me the 36 grand but would look for a replacement which can be had for the mid twenties price. So I'm paying for ten thousand dollars of coverage which I would never get. Anyone have any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We have Allied as well. Had them on our TT for several years. Last year when we got the motorhome, called CW Insurance to get a quote. They quoted us through National General initially. Had them quote us through Allied as well and it was half the price of National General. National General pays the highest commissions to GS/CW than any other carrier they represent. Something to ponder as well.

But as someone mentioned, it's going to be different from person to person. There are many factors that go into it. Get a lot of quotes and go with the best that fits you.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have my 5th wheel insurance and also my truck insurance (both with National Interstate) with Miller Insurance in Oregon.

I'm a full timer and I wanted both with the same insurance company so there would be no fighting between separate insurance companies in case of an accident.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Gilbert RV Insurance has been awesome for us. Great help.

Our insurance is now through them with Allied. We were offered the choice of insuring it at the value we paid or the value of MSRP. If for some reason its totaled within the first five years, we'll get paid more than we paid for it. But we pay a slightly higher premium.

At least they gave us the choice.

I carry replacement cost on my trailer. What I found out is that the money above the current ACV is only paid if you replace the trailer, If you decide to not replace the trailer you get the ACV paid to you.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Gilbert RV Insurance has been awesome for us. Great help.

Our insurance is now through them with Allied. We were offered the choice of insuring it at the value we paid or the value of MSRP. If for some reason its totaled within the first five years, we'll get paid more than we paid for it. But we pay a slightly higher premium.

At least they gave us the choice.

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Sky or Miller Insurance were the two that we checked with on our new fith wheel; we went with Blue Sky. Previous fith wheel was insured through USAA but they didn't offer the coverage that we wanted on the new one.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
We have all our insurance with Amica. Don't know what it cost to add the RV, but they are always reasonable. We buy insurance based on claims performance, not on cost, and Amica's claims performance is stellar.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Progressive also insures RV's. You might give them a look. We've been with them for 10 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Check with National General. When we went full time they had the best rates for us.
cpaulsen

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Glenalt wrote:
I was wondering where everyone get their insurance for their 5er? I just got an adjusted premium from State Farm. They base it on the MSRP which is over $36,000. They sell all over for $23-27,000. It raises my premium by about $150 a year. The interesting thing is that if it got stolen or burned down they wouldn't pay me the 36 grand but would look for a replacement which can be had for the mid twenties price. So I'm paying for ten thousand dollars of coverage which I would never get. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a boat insured with state farm. I asked my agent that since it was originally insured for $22,000 10 years ago if I could just lower the coverage to a closer number to fact. he said that if it was totaled I would get the 22,000$. I asked if I could up the coverage to $50,000 and he said no. 🙂
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What one person has for insurance won't be the same for you. You need to start calling around for quotes. Insurance is based on where you live, what coverage you want, age, driving record, accidents and even credit scores. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
state farm. along with all my other insurance needs. I'd call the agent and ask for ways to reduce premium. While our TT is worth less than your 5ver, but we pay $90/yr. for our 2011 outback 295RE. Deductible makes a big difference.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for National General (formerly GMAC). Saved me significant dollars when I switch a couple of years ago. Renewal was almost no change.

And yes, if you call and tell them the rig is in storage (doesn't matter where) they will reduce your premium accordingly. When you take it out of storage just call them again and coverage is back to normal.

Do not have any claim experience but have had contact with them for general issues and questions. Always got a person on the phone in reasonable time and good advice and/or info.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try National General. They used to be GMAC. I have been very happy with their price and and their claims procedure. I am paying about a buck a day for full coverage but it is actually cheaper because it is in storage now so it saved me $90 for 6 months. I am paying $56.00 for the next 6 months.