cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate vs. secoundary roads?

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if driving the interstate using cruise countrol would save much gas verses the slow down, speedup of going thru towns? My truck seems to have a sweetspot towing of 63 mph.
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10
25 REPLIES 25

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Fliposo wrote:
I was wondering if driving the interstate using cruise countrol would save much gas verses the slow down, speedup of going thru towns? My truck seems to have a sweetspot towing of 63 mph.

For gas savings, I have to go with the highway. I use the highways going north here in Michigan, because the roads, north of Lansing, aren't too bad and I can cruise at 65 mph generally without having to pass anyone. Easy.

I will never take I-80 out west again. Coming back home on US-2 was sooooooo much better. Easy. Comfortable. The highways I took in Indiana and Illinois were an absolute shambles and parts of them in South Dakota were too. Yuck. NEVER AGAIN!! LOL
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:
rwbradley wrote:
I am curious why I am the odd one out. I am quite certain on my mpg findings, the computer in the car even confirms them. I would say that it is likely that there is no one answer as it probably depends on the TT/TV combo. In my case I have a small TT being towed by a gas SUV and am well under weight, however the TT is not very aerodynamic, and when driving at 60mph I am at about 2200rpm, when I get to 65mph I am at 3000rpm and I lock out overdrive to keep it from constantly hunting. My guess is that the biggest factor is gear ratio/rpm's. Regardless in my case because the sweet spot is 60 and there is a huge hit on mpg when I go up from there, secondary highways, even with occasional stop and go is hands down the winner for mpg.

This could also be due to the nature of the secondary roads. Around here, secondary roads go through lots of small towns, which means lots of stopping/starting. That eats into the gas mileage quickly.

frictional losses in an engine go up as rpm squared, so going from 2200rpm to 3000 rpm increases frictional losses in the engine considerably. that really affects your mileage as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
I use as much Interstate as possible to get to my destination. Here in Illinois, we have a lot of small towns where the speed varies up and down and up and down when traveling the backroads....Gets annoying. But to each his own. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
I am curious why I am the odd one out. I am quite certain on my mpg findings, the computer in the car even confirms them. I would say that it is likely that there is no one answer as it probably depends on the TT/TV combo. In my case I have a small TT being towed by a gas SUV and am well under weight, however the TT is not very aerodynamic, and when driving at 60mph I am at about 2200rpm, when I get to 65mph I am at 3000rpm and I lock out overdrive to keep it from constantly hunting. My guess is that the biggest factor is gear ratio/rpm's. Regardless in my case because the sweet spot is 60 and there is a huge hit on mpg when I go up from there, secondary highways, even with occasional stop and go is hands down the winner for mpg.

This could also be due to the nature of the secondary roads. Around here, secondary roads go through lots of small towns, which means lots of stopping/starting. That eats into the gas mileage quickly.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Flip
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You best mileage will be at a constant speed. It takes a LOT of energy to get your rolling house up to speed just to slow down again. If mileage is your goal then the interstate is where it's at.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
christopherglenn wrote:
Your best mpg would be constant throttle, bleeding speed on the up hills, recovering it on the down hills. Ok constant throttle everywhere but the down hills, less throttle there to keep from speeding.

X2. Theory and personal experience on better mpg agree for me on this.

Besides mpg, if you want to get somewhere farther and faster and with less fatigue, and a bit better mpg, a freeway/highway is the better option. I only use CC on flattish stretches and if there's no buffeting winds. I keep to max. 65 mph too.

I totally love towing our TT on the secondary roads and have towed in places like through the Redwood forests in Cal., along the Oregon Coast, around the Olympic Peninsula and Hwy 2 from Seattle up Stevens Pass and on to Spokane, all of which have a lot of twists and turns, hills, speed limit changes, stop and go, and can be quite windy in spots. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess we lose up to 2 mpg at the worst. I just let T/H mode do it's thing. For me, I find that secondary roads can be a lot more fatiguing and I can't/don't drive as far and I usually try to make it a more leisurely drive and don't drive with a heavy foot on the throttle.

When I can see ahead that I need to stop or slow down, I try to gradually slow down and then gradually pick up speed again. A bit easier on brakes, drivetrain and mpg.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D'OH, if 60 is the sweet spot for getting good mileage, you can certainly drive that in the right lane of the interstate. I do.
bumpy

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We traveled FT for 7 yrs. and took secondary/back roads as much as possible.

Hate traveling Interstates. Boring, idiots that don't know how to merge, road surface beat up, heavier traffic etc.

MPG difference.....never really noticed any. When pulling a 14K 13'4" wind sail we got 10.5--11.0 mpg regardless

X2 - Agree with Old Biscuit.
Back or secondary country road are our 1st. choice and are more scenic. We never considered the MPG difference as we just enjoy what the secondary (country) roads have to offer over the interstates which are definitely boring.

x3. I'll take secondary roads even if it is longer. more scenic, neat stuff to see in small towns, nice places to stop, found many interesting towns, museums, restaurants, places to stay on backroads.

Travel about the same speeds either way, so doubt the fuel mileage is much different.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bedlam
If you can drive secondary roads that do not have many speed zones through towns, you will get very good mileage. Otherwise the interstate will yield the best mileage unless you hit congestion.

Although I enjoy driving the secondaries more than freeways, I still work full time and have limited time off to get to desired destinations (typically plan for 500 miles days) that preclude long stretches on slower roads.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We traveled FT for 7 yrs. and took secondary/back roads as much as possible.

Hate traveling Interstates. Boring, idiots that don't know how to merge, road surface beat up, heavier traffic etc.

MPG difference.....never really noticed any. When pulling a 14K 13'4" wind sail we got 10.5--11.0 mpg regardless

X2 - Agree with Old Biscuit.
Back or secondary country road are our 1st. choice and are more scenic. We never considered the MPG difference as we just enjoy what the secondary (country) roads have to offer over the interstates which are definitely boring.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Atlanta yesterday to pick up our new fiver. Traveled interstates abbout 90% of the time with cruise set at 62. We averaged 12.1 mpg per DIC, that's pulling a 40' 12600 lb fiver and 143 miles each way. Would have been better but sat in 20 miles of stop and go traffic.

When traveling to the lake we use 2 and 4 lane roads with several long grades and average 10-10.5 mpg.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I drive the interstates to get out west,1800 miles one way, to family. We used some secondary roads this year and I found some were really rough. The 1800 mile trip usually takes me 5 1/2 days. We used more than usual secondary roads this year on our 50 day 7k mile excursion. I didn't follow mpg between the two but got about 11mpg for the trip.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I prefer the "red" roads. Interstates are definitely not my cup of tea.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.