cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it just me?

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34 ft. TT and I could easily back that trailer into a parking spot at the mall on black Friday but yesterday and this morning I borrowed a friends 5ร—8 utility trailer and I could not back that trailer up to save my life. I looked like a total cluster at the loading dock, I almost pinched my truck (multiple times). And the guys waiting were definitely not happy. So is it just me? Any advice so it does not happen again?
32 REPLIES 32

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not just you... single axle trailers are notoriously sensitive to steering input. Use very minor corrections and go slow, slower, slowest. When towing my 10' cargo {motorcycle} trailer behind our Class C it is a challenge as I cannot see it in the mirrors until it starts to swing wider than I usually want/need.

If I angle the rear camera down to see the ball then I lose most of my view of the trailer - raise the camera angle for a better trailer view and I cannot see the ball. Might be time for a second camera.

:S

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
No, it's not just you. The longer the trailer, the "easier" it is. We have a nearly 36 foot FW and DH backs it effortlessly. Fast forward and we purchased an additional camper, a small popup. Yeesh! I'm looking at my husband like "what the heck!" "can't you back that thing?!". Not so easy. Ha! First trip out we chose a pull through! At home he backs it up to a certain point, then we unhitch and move it the rest of the way by hand. Can't do that with the FW!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Shorter hitch to axle distance reacts much quicker...you just over corrected, it happens.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843