cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to drop my tip out beds at rest stops or Walmart?

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be traveling to Florida from MO soon. I figure I'll have to stop for one night at a rest stop or Walmart. The beds in my toy hauler are queen tip-outs one on each side of the rig. I've never overnighted before except in campgrounds, so not sure of the proper etiquette. I would leave the bike inside and drop one of the queen tip-outs to sleep on. Just not sure if that is okay to do or not? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
86 REPLIES 86

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
WalMart, Flying J or whatever allowing it or not I sure do not think it is really a good plan from safety standpoint ........... I would not even consider it with your rig.

Curious, you are not the first to say the "safety" thing. Why exactly would it not be safe in what you call "your rig?" Would it be safe in a different rig? Any rig?
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
at every Walmart we've ever stayed at we tip out. And, I've never seen anyone NOT tip out. We're always over in a corner anyway, and away from everyone. We don't drag out a BBQ or steps.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Why is it in threads such as this I always get a picture in my minds eye of a Lionel Barrymore type figure stroking his suspenders over his enormous belly and manufacturing every bit of righteous indignation he can muster, Harrumph!!! as he spins his old wooden chair away.

I dont know, it's only 8 pages. I tried but couldn't get it take off.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
WalMart, Flying J or whatever allowing it or not I sure do not think it is really a good plan from safety standpoint ........... I would not even consider it with your rig.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why is it in threads such as this I always get a picture in my minds eye of a Lionel Barrymore type figure stroking his suspenders over his enormous belly and manufacturing every bit of righteous indignation he can muster, Harrumph!!! as he spins his old wooden chair away.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
puttd wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that in Florida, many Wally worlds do not allow overnighting. Plan ahead. If you use the Allstays app, is shows where the Walmarts are ok with boondocking. Last trip, I ended up staying in a hospital parking lot because there was no Wallycamping within a hundred miles on my route.
Urban legend alert! This ranks right uop there with the one about Fla state parks not allowing you to use a waste water tote. Lots of Walmart stores in my area and lots of overnighters staying - with slides deployed.

I noticed that most Walmarts in California didn't allow camping.
No Walmart stores allow camping - they allow you to park overnight. They don't care if you put your slide out - or fold out down for that matter. People who put out chars lke the picture posted earlier are pushing it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your rv stays within the parking lines I would say ok at rest stops but check with guard if the stop has one.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we're retired, we no longer use Walmarts, but on occasion we did when we were working. I think one of our experiences epitomizes why a lot of people use them. We were travelling from California to Yellowstone and had two days to get there (1000 miles). I enjoy driving and doing a 500 mile day is not a big deal for me (back then). We had one of those drives where everything went well and the coach was running great. We stopped for dinner and I felt like driving some more. Putting some more miles on meant an easier/shorter drive into Yellowstone the next day.

We drove to about 7:00 pm which was 8:00pm Utah time, we had lost an hour. My wife started calling campgrounds, but we soon realized that we were approaching Provo, Utah and they apparently close down early, especially since we lost the time zone hour. We didn't want to just pull into a campground, with a DP and truck in tow, and wake others up.

As we drove into Provo, I spotted a Walmart. We pulled in, now about 8:30, and parked parallel to an island. I walked into the store, bought a couple of things and then asked the manager if we could spend the night. He was gracious and said no problem. I opened just my large slide over the island and we relaxed for the evening. We were out by 8:00am.

I think this is similar to what a lot of people do when they use a Walmart. We came in late, left small footprint in the corner of the lot and left early.

We have a Walmart about 6 miles from our house, right next to a Home Depot. I go there about once a week. There are no attractions in our area except for the Reagan Library. I usually go there during the day and every so often I'll see a ratty looking RV parked there for a couple of days. I know these are down on their luck people living in their RV's and are exactly the ones that will eventually ruin it for others. I don't like it in my neighborhood because I know what issues they bring to the area.

There should be no reason for an unattended RV at a Walmart during the day, unless they're shopping.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Wally threads that go into detail as to how I should do all those things which people with good upbringing intuitively do. Who do they think I am?
Or maybe they weren't talking to me,....I mean, the shoe didn't even fit,...not even...:B
Thank you Walmart
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
I'll be traveling to Florida from MO soon. I figure I'll have to stop for one night at a rest stop or Walmart. The beds in my toy hauler are queen tip-outs one on each side of the rig. I've never overnighted before except in campgrounds, so not sure of the proper etiquette. I would leave the bike inside and drop one of the queen tip-outs to sleep on. Just not sure if that is okay to do or not? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Go ahead and tip-out. Enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
puttd wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that in Florida, many Wally worlds do not allow overnighting. Plan ahead. If you use the Allstays app, is shows where the Walmarts are ok with boondocking. Last trip, I ended up staying in a hospital parking lot because there was no Wallycamping within a hundred miles on my route.
Urban legend alert! This ranks right uop there with the one about Fla state parks not allowing you to use a waste water tote. Lots of Walmart stores in my area and lots of overnighters staying - with slides deployed.

I noticed that most Walmarts in California didn't allow camping.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
FunnyCamper wrote:
why assume the worst when this is probably the opposite?
because that's the most likely scenario.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Don't ya just love a good Walmart parking lot thread. Hasn't been one for quite awhile. The CW GS bashing crowd kinda overtook the Walmart parking police since they combined. Good to see it back I was missing those Walmart days

I agree! :C

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted double post
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
puttd wrote: