Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is my hitch working correctly?

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I never used a WDH hitch on my previous small (2700lb) hybrid trailer, but felt it was a good idea on my new and much heavier 30ft TT. I bought and installed an Andersen system last weekend before towing my TT about 65 miles home after our first week out with it. I did notice the hitch seemed to cut way down on the bounce on my 15' Silverado 1500, but I'm wondering about the weight distribution and sway control.

It was breezy (10-15MPH guess based on the tree leaves)and the trip was mostly interstate at 60-65MPH. I wouldn't say the trailer swayed, but it felt like I was pushed around in my lane a little. It was never out of my lane, not white knuckle, and definitely no tail wagging the dog feeling.

When the pushing effect happened, the truck and trailer felt like they moved together in unison, making me think that the hitch is working as it should? I'm just not sure if what I'm feeling is normal or if I need to mess around with trying to adjust the hitch some more to try and reduce the movement?
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH
2 REPLIES 2

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is the trip ready loaded trailer level or slightly nose down when hooked up?

Did the truck's front suspension return to the same when hooked up as it was when not hooked up? i.e. distance of wheel well from the ground.

Do you have the correct weight distribution bars for the loaded tongue weight of your trailer?

Tires on the truck can help some. Are they P-passenger tires or LT-light truck tires?

and like DutchmenSport posted...a 30 footer behind a 1500 series truck is going to "feel" the wind gusts and passing big rigs.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The "push" of wind is normal in my opinion. Even when not towing, if the wind is strong enough, it will blow my 3500 duly and try to force it off the road or in the other lane. WD does not remove the effect of wind, it distributes the weight of the tongue of the trailer off the back wheels of the to vehicle and moves that weight to the front wheels. "Sway" is something else all together. "Sway is the trailer gyrating back and forth, opposing the tow vehicle.

I think what you've experience is pretty typical. When a gust of wind blows my rig, with sway, WD, duly tires, and a 3500 truck, I still feel the "push" of wind, but, like you've experienced, the two act as a single unit.

The difference however, the heavier the tow vehicle, the more "wind" it takes to push it around. 10-15 mph gusts have no affect on my rig. Gusts at about 40-45 and I can feel them when they "hit!"