Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Roadside assistance worth it?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

My wife has had a AAA standard policy for a long time. I dont think it covers the travel trailer as well. Is adding an RV policy through AAA or Good Sam worth it? We used to do most of our camping within 2-300 miles from home, but over the past 3 years we have started doing 1000+ mile trips each year. I think if there was a tire blow out I would likely change it myself, but anything other than that it would certainly be nice to have assistance.

Roadside assistance in general is always mixed reviews so what are your thoughts and suggestions around travel trailer coverage?

Thanks
48 REPLIES 48

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer the OP question:

Yes

But, you need the right roadside assistance that covers your RV.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
We have had GSC roadside assistance and with few exceptions, found it very helpful. Living in AK, we found that they really have not got the facilities or software (I guess) to locate us.

While abut 2 miles from the end of the Denali Hwy on a vacation, we had a flat. After findng out that Alaska is indeed one of the 50 states, instead of sending someone from about 1 hour away, they insisted on sending someone from Anchorage. We ended up managing it ourselves. Luckily someone helped tighten the lugs. My DH is disables soemwhat, and I am just plain old. This is why we cound on roadside assistance.

We did have AAA - which I found just as clumsy to use as GSC RA if not more. Also our auto insurance has RA. I would not go anywhere without it. Hopefully we won't need to us it, but I am glad that we have it.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
So If I add up my towing/road side costs I have three vehicles, boat, RV and MotorCycle. That's 6 x 8.30 = 49.80 x twice a year = $99.60 for a full year to cover all my insured items.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch,
This thread is about roadside emergency service which is coverage for emergency road service. It is not about coverage for breakdowns of your rigs appliances, furnace breakdown, or other. You would need an extended warranty program or similar for coverage of the "house" part of the RV which would be the topic of a new thread.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Remember kids, it's an insurance policy. If the company administering it didn't make money they wouldn't offer it, so odds are that a person won't get more benefit than they pay in, overall.
Just like Vegas except it only pays off when you lose.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Here is a response from my Agent.

"Our towing and roadside covers what is considered a "reasonable cost". In other words, you have a choice of the nearest repair facility or home. There aren't any mileage restrictions.
Example, you break down in Tacoma. Your bestfriend owns a repair shop in Everett. Farmers wouldn't pay for that tow because you aren't using your home address or the nearest repair facility. But they would cover it to your home that is farther than Everett. If the truck breaks down and you are traveling they will tow the RV to the nearest campground.

You are paying $8.30 every six months for the truck towing and roadside and $8.30 every six months for the travel trailer."

If I choose I can call Farmers and have them coordinate everything.

Now presented with my facts someone please tell me what i am missing out on?

Can you call your service at 3 am for technical support to get your RV furnace working again when it's 20? outside? Or for other RV appliance issues? Does your service cover all non-commercial vehicles you own, rent, or borrow? In addition to the usual towing, out of fuel, flat tire assistance, RV service appointment assistance, battery boost, and lock out services. How much value those features have to you is a personal decision of course. There's no "one size fits all" answer...

I donโ€™t need any assistance with RV issues. I do my own RV work. Yes I am covered for tire service run out of fuel on the vehicles I pay to have this coverage.

Donโ€™t borrow others vehicles.

I get a hell of a deal for the few bucks I pay every 6 mo.

Those items have zero value to ME.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
harryjr wrote:
Tripalot wrote:

For less than $100/year I think the peace of mind is worth the cost.

What are you using that is <$100/year? Most the I've seen are in the $140 range.

FMCA's plan with SafeRide is $69/yr for members, and the Escapees' plan with SafeRide is $99/yr for members.

So, $60/yr for FMCA dues plus $69 for the plan equals $129 total. Or am I missing something?
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
harryjr wrote:
Tripalot wrote:

What are you using that is <$100/year? Most the I've seen are in the $140 range.

FMCA's plan with SafeRide is $69/yr for members, and the Escapees' plan with SafeRide is $99/yr for members.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Our towing and roadside covers what is considered a "reasonable cost". In other words, you have a choice of the nearest repair facility or home. There aren't any mileage restrictions.
Example, you break down in Tacoma. Your bestfriend owns a repair shop in Everett. Farmers wouldn't pay for that tow because you aren't using your home address or the nearest repair facility. But they would cover it to your home that is farther than Everett. If the truck breaks down and you are traveling they will tow the RV to the nearest campground.

You are paying $8.30 every six months for the truck towing and roadside and $8.30 every six months for the travel trailer."

Can you call your service at 3 am for technical support to get your RV furnace working again when it's 20โ„‰ outside? Or for other RV appliance issues? Does your service cover all non-commercial vehicles you own, rent, or borrow? In addition to the usual towing, out of fuel, flat tire assistance, RV service appointment assistance, battery boost, and lock out services. How much value those features have to you is a personal decision of course. There's no "one size fits all" answer...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Only when you need it.

No need to go past the first post!..:S

When I saw this thread, the above was my immediate thought also!

:W

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:

Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds way better than the $100 my insurance company pays.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
It has been for me. I have used rsa many times.