cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Socializing a Dying Thing in the RV Community?

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
175 REPLIES 175

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Were old time campers.
Wife and I started in the early '60s for fishing and relaxing and peace and quiet. Were still that way.
We use the campgrounds or rv park to stay in while we fish....hike....take it easy....relax.....enjoy nature. However its almost impossible today...so we rarely camp now like we did at one time.

I've always surprised at how many say they only camp for the socialization experience.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about all this... We always figure campers are a cool and friendly bunch. We always meet people - never made any lifelong or even lasting friends, but often have hour or more long conversations.

Not often actually in the campground though. If we pass by someone sitting outside we will wave and smile, but we would never just walk into their campsite and start talking - that is their space. Well - unless they have the same RV as ours - that has happened a few times. And people have actually come and knocked on our door to talk about our RV...

We mostly meet people out on the trails. And then mostly at cool places where people come from all over to see. Very friendly folks still.

I do agree with the northeast being colder - but only at those campgrounds where mostly local people come to. Everyone avoids eye contact with anyone not in their group. Oh well.

As far as politics - somehow that subject never comes up. We must have been lucky so far and just met the polite folks, I guess.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Socializing today out on camping trip is in my opinion definitely a "dying thing" compared to what I know of the past. I am looking back more than 40 years on road. It seems to us that in the past 20+ yrs. folks have just become just kind of non sociable. Perhaps they just want to stay to themselves or by themselves and of course that's their personal choice. As others have stated there was a time when many folks were just plain friendly came over to chat or if you needed help would offer to do so. We remember even in many state parks before the Rangers became armed guards many would stop by and sit and chat and it was a great feeling that you were kind of like a friend. Many people would stop on the highway to help out a fellow RVer who was having trouble with the rig on the highway. Unfortunately there are so many things about the past RV experience that in our opinion has simply vanished. We feel its basically the same in other areas of the society a general non personal attitude. It seems to us that most prefer to do their socializing on the social media sites or some kind of club not excluding the church especially if its large. We have travel throughout the USA and we see this throughout the country. We're just wishing for the "good ole days" certainly would be nice.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I also still open doors, and get nothing but thanks. . . what did you do to offend her?

Good question. Honestly, I am not sure what the problem was. All I did was hold the door open like I have done for decades. No conversation from me to her.

Maybe she was having a bad day, that happens to us all. From the jist of her tirade, I gather she has had a recent bad experience with a man.

Her statement went like this, but was much more detailed:
"I don't need no blank blank MAN to do nothing for me".

Double negative, so she might be really saying, 'she needs a man doing something for her'.

No big deal really, other than making me gun shy when it comes to opening doors for younger women.

Life is interesting, is it not?

Lakeside

AbdRahim
Explorer
Explorer
Fascinating discussion. I am relatively new at camping only - only five seasons. Socializing is one of the main reasons I go camping. I find it a roll of the dice. On most camping trips, which are longer stays, up to a month, I find someone that enjoys socializing, as I do. Every once in a while I will find a place where interaction is minimal. I find the least social are usually the big expensive DP's, unless they are retired seasonals. It may be explained, in some cases by the fact that if they are working and can really afford those big fancy rigs, they probably have a really high stress job and just want to get away. They desire solitude.

Perhaps I will try sitting closer to the road. I always sit facing the road, and wave, and say hello, to indicate willingness for interaction.

If I find a place that I like, and people that I like, I will often go back to that place.

One couple I met this summer, I will be camping not far from his home, next summer. He is talking about bringing his camper to join me for a weekend. So there are still a bunch of us out there that are looking to socialize and add to the number our friends.

I had to laugh at lakeside013104's comment. Kindness always wins in the end. I still open the door for everybody, man, woman or child.

To extrapolate from another expression, if a person acts humble, polite and kind, one does not know whether or not he is a fool. Some people by their reactions announce to the world that they are. Thus the kind person wins.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I also still open doors, and get nothing but thanks. . . what did you do to offend her?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
lakeside013104 wrote:
This could happen on the RV trail:

Recently I made the mistake of opening the convenience store door that a young lady was headed for. After a two minute tirade using more words than a sailor would be ashamed of, this person flings her hair back, calls me an a---ole and leaves.

I don't open doors anymore for folks unless they have gray hair, a cane, or are in a wheel chair. This new movement that is consuming the country has certainty changed the desire for me to be a gentleman......

I fear another abusive tongue lashing, so don't go there anymore. Not worth the exposure.

Lakeside

I have been rebuked, but still open doors.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
Also, there are areas of the country that are more publicly social than others. I've had more conversations with strangers in the southeast than the northeast...

This reminds me of something that happened to me. About 10 years ago, a friend and I went target shooting way back up in the hills in TN. This was an area frequented by 4wheelers (Winrock acreage before it got as organized as it is now). During a break in the shooting, a guy in a 4wheeler with his wife on the back pulls up and we shoot the breeze for a while. After about 5 minutes, he wife looks at me and asks "you all don't know us do you?". Turns out she was from up north and was continually amazed how strangers could just bump into each other and start talking about whatever. So I think you may be right that your raisin' can make a difference.

lakeside013104, that has never happened to me. I hold the door for everyone, tho I may precede that person thru the door. I've done that for decades but again, it may be the area of the country that I live and play in.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
This could happen on the RV trail:

Recently I made the mistake of opening the convenience store door that a young lady was headed for. After a two minute tirade using more words than a sailor would be ashamed of, this person flings her hair back, calls me an a---ole and leaves.

I don't open doors anymore for folks unless they have gray hair, a cane, or are in a wheel chair. This new movement that is consuming the country has certainty changed the desire for me to be a gentleman......

I fear another abusive tongue lashing, so don't go there anymore. Not worth the exposure.

Lakeside

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes I make a drink and walk around and talk with people in campgrounds. People that are outside having cocktail hour are often the most sociable. I look for Canadian flags. Canadians as a group are the best talkers and the most friendly.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
punomatic wrote:
People are afraid of each other in the current culture. We are taught that using the wrong pronoun is a federal offense. Political views have become catalysts for explosive reactions. It is just not worth it to some to risk having their camping experience ruined by a confrontation. Back in the day, it seems to me, people were more interested in finding common ground. Now so many are "spring-loaded" to the defensive position. JMHO

I think this is a big part of the issue. I am pretty outgoing but I hesitate to approach folks, as a general rule, because of the atmosphere we now live in. Another big part is that the whole idea of socialization is seriously under attack. The younger generation are into social media and are losing the ability to relate to others. I am not pointing fingers at just our younger citizens but the movement has caught on big time.

The Gonzaga Men's basketball coach noticed after their first win this season that when he went into the locker room all of the players were looking down at their phones, not a word was being spoken. He told them to put down the phones and start talking to one another. A good team talks, they talk before the game, during the game and after the game. He went on to say that this is becoming an issue with many programs all around the country. When given the choice to talk to someone or to check their twitter following, guess what most of them do?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
In our own build specific groups, this is a non-issue, but we have not had this issue in any campground or parking area. It gets even easier if you also join RVillage or other RV social group. Yes, this is one, but it does not have the specific areas of interest that are available at other forums.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
punomatic wrote:
People are afraid of each other in the current culture. We are taught that using the wrong pronoun is a federal offense. Political views have become catalysts for explosive reactions. It is just not worth it to some to risk having their camping experience ruined by a confrontation. Back in the day, it seems to me, people were more interested in finding common ground. Now so many are "spring-loaded" to the defensive position. JMHO

I think this is a huge part of the current culture. Hell, I just found out that it's no longer "ok" to flash the "ok" sign. So, now if I flash the okay sign, Im now a racist. Holy ****.

Speaking of socializing. Think we can agree most of us are part of this club. Maybe we should start using this sign instead of waviing.

Truck Gang

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:
Was excited to get back into RVing in the last year as both the wife & I had done a lot of RVing in past lives going back a # of yrs. One of the things we were looking forward to was getting to meet new people along the way. So far in a 1/2 dozen trips or so back into it, with the exception of 1 trip we've only seen what I would call 'shut-ins'.

Understand not everyone wants to chit-chat with strangers / some might prefer peace & quiet, but it's really been kind of a drag not running into neat / interesting people while camping.

Never thought one would have to join a club in order to have some social interaction out on the road but I'm beginning to wonder if that's just the way it is nowadays....

Years ago the rallies were very popular here, we had the chance to meet some of the most friendly/helpful folks. To this day we still meet a few times per year with some of those same members! I guess if you want see different areas and meet up with different Rvers look for the rallies on the smaller Rv forums. :C

It's always been hit or miss for us when it comes to the chit-chat, we don't look for it and we don't avoid it either. Had lots of conversations with fellow campers, rail trail bikers, kayakers, hikers especially when sharing common interests.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
You are going to the wrong places. Certainly for socializing you would want to avoid places like National Parks where people come for the scenery and attractions.

Instead you would want a nice RV park where the residents are retired or certainly are not just living there to be convenient to work. Some of the best I have seen were in Yuma, Az. They have tall cinder block walls and very small spaces with lots of retirees jammed in. You can socialize, play cards and talk RV parts and repairs until you cannot stand it any longer.

That sounds great, what time does bingo start? :S :B