Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's Time To Go Shopping! :)

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
At least, I hope so.

We just got an offer on our house and as soon as the inspection and appraisal are done, we are going to go looking for our new (to us) RV to live in full-time. We are going used and my intent is to get something that is 2 to 10 years oldish.

I would love to take all of you guys with me shopping (that'd be funny to watch :B ). The collective knowledge on here is invaluable.

For starters, I have some questions.

We are going to be living in the Boise area, for the most part. It can get pretty cold in the winter and I was wondering if there are any must have/do as far as insulation packages/upgrades? If yes, can it be done after the purchase?

Are there professional RV inspectors? I think we could do a pretty good job inspecting it, but I'd feel better if someone who really knew there stuff could do it.

There seems to be a lot fewer for sale right now and they seem to be higher priced than they were a few months ago - even on Craigslist. Maybe I just remember wrong on the prices. It seems like there were decent, used 5th wheels in the $15,000 to $20,000 range, but I can't find any now. So now I'm looking at travel trailers. Is it my imagination or has the market changed in the last couple of months?

For convenience of selection, I think we are probably going to go to a dealership and will be paying all cash. I hate dickering, but I know I'm going to have to. How much from the posted price do dealers normally come down?

Do RV dealerships try to do the same thing as some car dealerships where they pass you off to some guy in a room that tries to get you to buy a bunch of extra stuff with hard sells?

I'm in southern Nevada and my husband is currently in Boise. I've seen, although I don't remember where, advertisements for RV dealerships that have a huge inventories and we don't mind traveling a bit to shop. If you have a suggestion for a dealership in the southwest or northwest that has a great inventory, I'd like to know.

BTW, we have owned an RV before and we know it can be a bumpy transition to go from a regular house to full-time RV living. We are going to do everything we can to make it work and if for some reason we end up hating it, we still have other options.

Thank you for any advice or info.
25 REPLIES 25

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
There are many RV parks in the Treasure Valley and all are open year round. My suggestion is to look for a used high end fiver such as a Teton. Those were made for fulltiming in cold climates. We had one and were comfortable in minus 0* There are a few others as well.

You will need the best insulated one you can find with dual panes. Skirting will help, as will a large exterior propane tank. You must have heated tanks and basement. You will need to heat the water hose, as well as keeping the sewer hose from freezing.

Talk to the folks at Happy Valley and Ambassador about how to set up. McCall RV Resort is another source of good info. They are all owned by the same family.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
from the farmers almanac he is going to get really cold this year. some put skirts around the bottom of the TT and use little heaters.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Get an Artic Fox FW with thermal pane windows, the upgraded heater and invest in some skirting to go around the outside of the FW during the winter months. You'll want to contract with a propane company to drop off a large tank and provide refilling services.

If you're in Boise already and have a house there why sell the house to live fulltime in an RV in the same spot?

Edit: Maybe you're both in Nevada and moving to Boise? Either way unless you're constantly moving around (or want to) I don't think I would full time in an RV just to stay in one spot.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Boise can get mighty cold in the winter. First off, I have doubts you will find an open RV park.

Yes, Boise does get cold.

There are several year-round RV parks and I have actually found one that will suit us well. I've spoken with the owner who seems quite knowledgeable about all things RV and see what he suggests.

Second it going to be very expensive to try and live in one all winter. Sun can warm only so much in the winter, but you will still burn lots of propane trying to keep an RV even at 60 inside all day/nite. Especially when it hits -20 over night.

From the research I have done, it appears that lowest average is about 21 degrees (still, c-c-cold). It rarely gets in the single digits or below. If you have other information, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Get an apartment or have him quit his job and move south.

We actually did consider purchasing a townhouse and, who knows, maybe we still will.

Quitting his job is not an option.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boise can get mighty cold in the winter. First off, I have doubts you will find an open RV park. Second it going to be very expensive to try and live in one all winter. Sun can warm only so much in the winter, but you will still burn lots of propane trying to keep an RV even at 60 inside all day/nite. Especially when it hits -20 over night. Get an apartment or have him quit his job and move south.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how many travel trailers are built for winter weather use..... You'll have to check that out.

wishin'andhopin' wrote:

There's is no way to make a travel trailer work?
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
BTW, unless you are tied to Boise by something like a job, my advice would be to head south. We spent part of our first Jayco winter in the Chicago area. We tried several ways to insulate and keep the condensation down. Nothing really worked. Leave.

It is a job and Boise is much drier than Chicago, so maybe we can mitigate it better?

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
To winter in Idaho, you're going to need a higher end 5th wheel, with a cold prep package. Insulated walls, double pane windows, heated tanks. You'll also need a nice big propane tank for the furnace! No matter how well built the RV is, it won't retain heat like a stick/brick house will. Be sure it's a 50A RV, so you can supplement the furnace with some electric heaters.

There's is no way to make a travel trailer work?

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
To winter in Idaho, you're going to need a higher end 5th wheel, with a cold prep package. Insulated walls, double pane windows, heated tanks. You'll also need a nice big propane tank for the furnace! No matter how well built the RV is, it won't retain heat like a stick/brick house will. Be sure it's a 50A RV, so you can supplement the furnace with some electric heaters.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, unless you are tied to Boise by something like a job, my advice would be to head south. We spent part of our first Jayco winter in the Chicago area. We tried several ways to insulate and keep the condensation down. Nothing really worked. Leave.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
I am SO jealous! We have an old house. We've loved living in it these last 20 years, but there's always something needing to be done. We full timed in a 32-ft Jayco and "did" the eastern half of the country before we settled down, here. Now we are retired and I can't wait to climb into our 32-ft Gulfstream and "do" the western half.