cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep missed the boat

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a Jeep Cherokee (can be towed) and a Jeep Renegade (Cannot be towed). I really believe that IF Jeep had made the Renegade towable, they would have sold a bunch of them to Class A owners.
9 REPLIES 9

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
magicbus wrote:
These days it’s all about the tranny, the transfer mechanism, and the rear. You need the right combo of all, which comes with the willingness to give up some 4WD capabilities, to make it towable 4-down.

Both our 2017 Wrangler and our 2020 Gladiator have the 3.6L V6 engine, automatic transmission, and manual transfer case - I don't think we've given up ANY 4WD capabilities and both vehicles tow fine...

My Wrangler has all the same features and also is towable. But we aren’t discussing Wranglers. For example, I am happily giving up my Wrangler for a Bronco Sport with more advanced 4-wheeling capabilities than my Wrangler, plus a nicer ride snd other amenities, but it can’t be towed. I’ve owned and towed 5 Jeeps and loved them all (except the 2006 with the death wobble) but gave up dragging a toad years ago so no big deal for me, but everything is a trade off.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
These days it’s all about the tranny, the transfer mechanism, and the rear. You need the right combo of all, which comes with the willingness to give up some 4WD capabilities, to make it towable 4-down.

Both our 2017 Wrangler and our 2020 Gladiator have the 3.6L V6 engine, automatic transmission, and manual transfer case - I don't think we've given up ANY 4WD capabilities and both vehicles tow fine...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Jeep Renegades are built on Fiat chassis' -- 'nuff said.

Actually the Fiat 500 is flat towable, but the Fiat 500X is not. The 500X chassis is what the Renegade is built on.

Yes. And a Fiat is a Fiat is a Fiat. All pretty much junque!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Y-Guy
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Actually the Fiat 500 is flat towable, but the Fiat 500X is not. The 500X chassis is what the Renegade is built on.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No offense but I’d stay away from anything with a newer Chrysler 3.6 V6 as well
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

That must be the reason they can't make em towable. ???

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tell everyone to stay away from them. they are nothing but a problem.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!