cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Wrangler questions

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Morning everyone. I'm considering upgrading my toad to a Wrangler Sport. My current toad has the Stay-n-play supplemental brake system which I really like. What do most of you use? I assume I could have that removed and placed in the new vehicle. I'm a Blue Ox fan so I'm also looking into their base plates. What's the install like on those? I'm not able to install myself, just curious about difficulty.

My current toad is a Ford Fiesta, which has been a very easy tow, with no problems. I see tons of Wranglers being towed, so I figure they must be pretty easy to set up.

Thanks,
Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
14 REPLIES 14

gtp618
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of Wrangler owners with the ReadyBrute Tow Bar with the built in surge brake setup.

Some good photos in this thread

I have the same setup with a Blue Ox base plate. Love it.

Y-Guy
23hotrodr wrote:
Where do you guys find these special bumpers for a specific brand of tow bar? I have a Roadmaster Falcon2. Thanks-- Mick

Here are a few:
LOD Offroad
Rock Hard 4x4
Here are the Rock Hard Tow Kits
Tomken another member he has one of these with plates. You can see his post here shows the bumper, BO plates and all.

Don't assume all bumpers can be used for towing. Most do not support it or will not warranty it. The WARN Elite Series Front Bumper fits into this group.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on our 2015 JKU in about 2 hours. Easy but takes 2 people. Yes, I do have a car lift in the workshop.

We transferred our BB from a Durango to the Wrangler.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
rmclin wrote:
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport and I find it very easy to tow. I use an RViBrake2 for supplemental braking and it works great. I changed the bumper rather than mount a tow plate below it. It was cheaper and is far stronger with the added benefit of raising the tow bar height enough that there is no need for large drop hitches or fear of dragging on leaving parking lots.

Itasca Navion towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Where do you guys find these special bumpers for a specific brand of tow bar? I have a Roadmaster Falcon2. Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

rmclin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport and I find it very easy to tow. I use an RViBrake2 for supplemental braking and it works great. I changed the bumper rather than mount a tow plate below it. It was cheaper and is far stronger with the added benefit of raising the tow bar height enough that there is no need for large drop hitches or fear of dragging on leaving parking lots.

Itasca Navion towing a Jeep Wrangler.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed a blueox twice on my wranglers. Very easy. scary how easy to drill the 4 holes in the frame. I use the M&G brake. Takes some time getting setup but happy.
http://m-gengineering.com

I did have my BlueOx bar coated with bed liner spray. Looks a lot better. The safety chains scratch the oem paint fast.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We have the StayInPlay system with Stowmaster towbar on our 2003 Wrangler with the automatic transmission. Everything works fine and the brake system is out of the way inside the Jeep.

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I have the blue ox base plate with the ready brute elite tow bar. One great easy setup.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AirForce One on mine. I find it is much more proportional then the SMI S & P it replaced.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Y-Guy
I'm seeing a lot of Wrangler owners with the ReadyBrute Tow Bar with the built in surge brake setup.

Some good photos in this thread

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the SMI Stay and Play in my 2015 Wrangler. It worked great with my previous gas powered motorhome, no real complaints. I recently upgraded to a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion, Diesel Pusher with an Exhaust Brake. I have to leave my Stay and Play turned off as it is activated by the brake lights. The Brake Light comes on anytime the Exhaust Brake is activated. I have overheated the brakes on my Jeep as there seems to be no simple solution to deactivate the Exhaust Brake Light. There have been a few offers to do some "creative" wiring, but I am afraid that could effect my warrantee. My Jeep will usually get me out from between a rock and a hard place... but not in this case. If you have an air brake system, there are several systems that are better suited than the SMI Stay and Play. JH

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We put a custom bumper on our Wrangler so we didn't lose ground clearance (we off road quite a bit). Also, with a custom bumper - about 5" higher than a baseplate - we don't need a drop hitch for our tow bar (our hitch rides high off the ground). We have blue ox adapters on our bumper for our ready brute elite tow bar with brakes. The system has worked really well for us over 2 years and 30K miles. We have a mopar wiring harness for the lights.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Blue Ox tow bar on Wrangler sport. Acttually pretty easy. I have the Patriot braking system. I also use the Blue Ox Gard for rock protection. I got a electrical harness from etrailer that is a plug and play. I ran a charge line to my Wrangler.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Stay-N-Play on our Wrangler, and really like it too.

I can't help you out with the Blue Ox tow-bar, I have a Roadmaster Stowmaster and we really like it too.

The best thing about the wranglers are the fact they can be towed flat without having to install transmission pumps, etc. Simply hook up, pop the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, turn on Stay-N-Play and done.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10