cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Junking an Old RV

hatchhanlon
Explorer
Explorer
After 40 years of use, I believe it's time to throw in the towel on our first tt. Being at a seasonal site, it hasn't had a license plate for years, plus it has the original tires.

My question is: what options are available, for example, junk yard, parting it out, etc? I have a tow vehicle, but would not want to haul it very far. The cabinets are birch plywood and there is a gas light system in the unit, besides the typical electrical setup. I don't want to pay somebody to move the rig or take it in.

I'm not a junker, so I don't know a lot about this kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO do not get involved in parting it out. The people that come out to buy this and that end up wrecking this and that to get at it and after a couple of these buyers coming out you've got a mess on your hands. It's a nightmare I watched someone in the CG try and do it.

Junk Yards: New EPA laws regarding safe recovery of propane and fridge coolant and the cost to do so to comply, that junk yards don't want to take them in any more due to what's all involved with the EPA costs. And those that will take them charge 'you' to pick them up!

Craigslist for $600.00 is what I would do.
Buyer gets a deal and you get some pocket cash. It will be sold within a day! :C
Include a bold statement in the description that they must take ENTIRE CAMPER and remove it safely from the site in one day.

Good Luck!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
craigslist is a great choice , have them sign a note they take everything. or do it yourself price of scrap is high. can you burn where your at?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a program just the other day about a place that restores old tt's. I think I would be trying to locate one of them to gauge their interest, especially if the cabinets and other parts are in decent condition. I wouldn't just junk it; there may be more value there than you think, if you're willing to put a little time and effort into it. What model is it?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist- free to haul away. It will be gone in no time.
-- Chris Bryant