cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED!!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess after many years of RVing we were due for a bad trip. One of the last minute items my wife grabbed on the way out was our two ipads, she threw them on the bed and covered them with blankets. When we got there we couldn't find them, I thought she forgot them.
Anyway, we got home today and saw that they weren't home either. The only place we stopped was at Cracker Barrel on the way up Friday. I called the store manager and he confirmed via the camera file that someone indeed entered our camper for roughly five minutes. I had to park around the back out of sight, even mentioned to the wife I didn't like the spot, felt sketchy! They stole two ipads and chargers and left NO sign of being in there.
Our departure was out of whack Friday and I can't say for sure I locked the doors, I wasn't planning on stopping. I can say that since 2001 I'm sure it's the first time I've ever left with doors unlocked and they got me.
They were in our camper for five minutes while we were eating, that drives me crazy, knowing someone was watching me and my family!
Sorry for venting, just check and double check your doors and belongings.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
53 REPLIES 53

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than relate what happened to Cousin Joe, Uncle Phil, or the guy next-door....

Suggest readers look (Google)- "Wireless Security Systems for RV",
"RV Alarm Systems", etc.

LOTS of excellent options - no 110V reqd, and some/many will transmit an alarm to your cell phone within seconds of an intrusion.

Compartment locks have been on here numerous times over the years.

The combo lock indicates something of value (like tools, etc.) are inside!

A thief only needs a screwdriver to open a compt.
Still gets your stuff - damages door.

Just like car theft - no keys needed.
Plenty of excuses to have a screwdriver in a pocket. None for keys.

IMO - for the compts - nothing of value inside, (no lock) thumb turns.
If the thief wants my spare slinky - he/she can have it.

If you're interested in serious security - including your compts - a wireless system (including perimeter coverage) with message alert is the answer..:C

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
My son left his TT unlocked beside his home. When he needed to get something out of it apparently some homeless person had been using to sleep in. It remains locked now.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We always double check to make sure doors are locked. I also replaced my compartment key locks, that everybody has a key to, with the 3 dial-10 digit combi locks.

AS previously mentioned, I too, have my hitch (two of the pins) locked down to the truck's floor.

Real crooks will break in if they want...but they may look for an easier target.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey51 wrote:

I hope RV locks are not set up to fit a master key!
Most locks have 5 pins or wafers, with about 5 different lengths for each. That is 5x5x5x5x5 = 3125 different keys. I guess your thief would have to carry 1500 keys to have half a chance of opening the lock. A master keyed lock has two pins in place of one so it can fit two different keys.

The handle locks have a master key, so dealer salespeople can show multiple units to customers without having to carry a ring of keys. The deadbolt is where the locks are specific.

So your key will open your deadbolt and your handle lock....your key will not open anybody else's handle or deadbolt. Dealers have master keys that let them open all the handle locks but not the deadbolts.

Be sure to lock BOTH the handle lock AND the deadbolt when you are away from the trailer.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
L

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Well I guess after many years of RVing we were due for a bad trip. One of the last minute items my wife grabbed on the way out was our two ipads, she threw them on the bed and covered them with blankets. When we got there we couldn't find them, I thought she forgot them.
Anyway, we got home today and saw that they weren't home either. The only place we stopped was at Cracker Barrel on the way up Friday. I called the store manager and he confirmed via the camera file that someone indeed entered our camper for roughly five minutes. I had to park around the back out of sight, even mentioned to the wife I didn't like the spot, felt sketchy! They stole two ipads and chargers and lueft NO sign of being in there.
Our departure was out of whack Friday and I can't say for sure I locked the doors, I wasn't planning on stopping. I can say that since 2001 I'm sure it's the first time I've ever left with doors unlocked and they got me.
They were in our camper for five minutes while we were eating, that drives me crazy, knowing someone was watching me and my family!
Sorry for venting, just check and double check your doors and belongings.

Throw away your toothbrushes. I'd consider tossing any opened food containers as well. No telling what shenanigans were done while in your trailer.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
For those who don't know.....>
This guy would love to protect your stuff while you have dindin
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Besides using the IPad tracker I have the auto lock set to turn it off in two minutes,,going to the restaurant I hide everything well and lock the doors,or take the IPad with me..its a sad world we live in with so much crime and no easy solution ..
I blame drugs..

Friend of mine lost 900$ in cash on the train in Tokyo and someone returned it next day,
Wonder what's the secret for making people so honest
http://youtu.be/x6QyLY5oLK4

http://youtu.be/okclqwtC-Lk

No doubt the very strict anti drug laws help
https://youtu.be/gkCFmU2wzUs

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Reminds me of when I left my accordion in the back seat of my car, and forgot to lock the doors. When I came back, there was another one sitting beside it....

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that! lizzie

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
How common are the locks? How many combinations? I know about the CH751 key that many trailers use for the storage, but I thought the door would have more combinations? Master key?

There is a master for the paddle, the dead bolt is supposed to be unique.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
Which Cracker Barrel was this? We frequent Cracker Barrels while on the road and we are typically too long for the RV spaces so we park around back when possible.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer has 2 doors that were keyed different, the storage compartments were the ch751 and the outside shower was something different. I found a place in Elkhart, In where I bought 2 new door locks and 3 cam locks all keyed alike. Makes it much easier to lock everything when one key fits all. They have 50 different keys available. The place is called RV locks and more if you are interested . Took about 15 minutes to change everything and only one key to carry now.
Bob
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED!! - A no brainer.
HR

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
There's no way to keep your stuff safe from a determined thief, especially at rest areas along the expressways. There may be people watching you walk away. But you can make your rig a less desirable target. I don't use the rest rooms at the rest stop. I have my own on board. If I need to stretch my legs, I take a walk around my rig and toad to inspect all the connections and tires, with the keys in my pocket and ALL the doors locked.
I've been approached a couple of times in rest areas by some not-so-cute "lot lizards" (I passed) and once by a couple of guys that walked up and asked for money, explaining that they already had enough money for some bread and lunch meat and just needed enough for a couple of beers to wash it down. That seemed reasonable and probably true, so I gave them a couple bucks. ๐Ÿ™‚
I like it. Would just be nervous getting the wallet out with 2 vs. 1.