cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kids Activities at State Parks

PSU1999
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for almost tween kids while at a COE campground. The older kids are 11 and 8 and we have bikes that they can ride on their own, they can visit a playground within view of our site. We also have sidewalk chalk, lawn games, I pads and movies but they seem to always want activities that takes a parent coming along like visiting a part of the park we can't see or lake swimming. We don't own a boat and won't for a while so that's out. This past weekend we were run ragged with keeping up with what they continuously were asking to do. I don't mean to sound like we don't want to participate with them but does anyone have any suggestions for entertainment that their kids can do on their own?
Me - PSU 1999
Wife - Also PSU 1999
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2026
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2029
Twin Daughters - Hopefully PSU 2033
2015 Keystone Summerland 2980 BH TT
2007 Chevy Suburban TV
28 REPLIES 28

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
My kids would say the same thing. And it's OK to say no.

My 25 year old will camp with us occasionally when he is home on leave but he much prefers the comforts of home (and video games). My 21 year old still goes camping with us several times a year as his job allows.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
When we traveled as kids, I never remember my folks bringing anything special for us. We went out and explored and played and had a great time.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I know that as parents of "busy" kids - you'd like to just sit and relax for a few moments ๐Ÿ™‚ But your time to be invited to play, is very short. Pretty soon, the oldest would rather be with other kids her age - and God Forbid her parents would be hanging around....LOL! Once they get Driver's Licenses - their at-home social lives become critical and camping will be a dread subject. Actually - once they start driving, they tend to get summer jobs and all of a sudden they CAN'T go camping. Now you have a choice: leave them behind, or don't go camping?

So what I'm gently suggesting is to get up and go do what they want. The fact that they want you along is testimony to your being a fun parent ๐Ÿ™‚ You're making great memories - stuff they will cherish. There will be a gap in their attendance, as they get into high school and maybe on to college.... but once they are hooked on camping, the bug will bite them again. And again, they will want to camp with you - and bring along their own families!

Trust me, when your grandchild wants to go find lightning bugs - you will HAPPILY take him/her by the hand and chase bugs!

It's the Camping Circle of Life. Of course, now, when I go to make reservations at a State Park, I have to reserve 4 or 5 sites at a time....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
PSU1999 wrote:
. This past weekend we were run ragged with keeping up with what they continuously were asking to do. I don't mean to sound like we don't want to participate with them but does anyone have any suggestions for entertainment that their kids can do on their own?

I went back and grabbed this part of the OP, to make one point...

NO

You did some things with them, you had the family time, you are busy chasing a 2 & 4 year old, cooking dinner, trying to enjoy your weekend as well.

Mommy can we...NO

Daddy we want to....NO.

Please, I am not suggesting you be one of those "negative" parents. I am only suggesting that YOU set the limits.

By the way, have you been up to Pymatuning Lake? Every go over to Linesville, feed the fish? Love that place as a kid---still do, but haven't been there in several years.

Plus---typically in PA the Corp Of Engineer camp sites tend to be pretty basic...a site, not much more. The State parks will have more to do---Western PA is full of private CG. Most have weekly scheduled events..ie...hay rides, scavenger hunts, Christmas in July, BINGO, rec rooms, etc...

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:

And yes, you will be run ragged. That's what having kids is all about. When they leave home, that's when you get to relax and take it easy. Until then, it's non-stop.

Then they come back.

YOU give them advice, but keep your space, and hope they travel in the right direction, make the right choices.

They DEMAND their space, but quietly acknowledge that they need your help---while insisting they can't wait to move on :R

HAVE I APOLOGISED TO MY OWN DAD RECENTLY :h The circle of life.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbshoestring wrote:

Four would definately be harder then our two...Especially with the age difference. The 11 & 8 can probably be allowed to roam, as long as one eye could locate them every once in a while. Problems is, they gonna need both eyes to keep track of the 2 & 4, who will surely be going in different directions. :R

I still say...if you can do it at home, you can do it at the CG. The 8 & 11 should be able to take care of themselves, which leaves one big mud puddle for the 2 & 4 to sit in...keep them occupied for hours :B

Oops, to clarify that's two 4 year olds (twins).

I agree that it can be done. I think the walkie talkies for the older two is a great idea and will allow them a bit more freedom.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

I agree, but I will point out that the OP has 4 kids (11, 8, and 2- 4yr olds per their signature). What I'd let an 8 or 11 year old do is different than what I'd let a 4 year old do. I also wouldn't want to put the pressure of "watching out for" the 4 year olds on the older kids. That puts the OP in a slightly different situation than having one kid or a couple at older ages.

Four would definately be harder then our two...Especially with the age difference. The 11 & 8 can probably be allowed to roam, as long as one eye could locate them every once in a while. Problems is, they gonna need both eyes to keep track of the 2 & 4, who will surely be going in different directions. :R

I still say...if you can do it at home, you can do it at the CG. The 8 & 11 should be able to take care of themselves, which leaves one big mud puddle for the 2 & 4 to sit in...keep them occupied for hours :B

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
davosfam - I was mentioning that more for the comments about boys not liking sidewalk chalk or playgrounds.

Gotcha! I guess by age 11 they are starting to outgrown that stuff. Girls probably faster than boys. ๐Ÿ˜ž

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
davosfam - I was mentioning that more for the comments about boys not liking sidewalk chalk or playgrounds.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
The OP has four daughters.

My advice is the same for sons or daughters. ๐Ÿ˜‰

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP has four daughters.

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
When my boys were that age playgrounds and sidewalk chalk didn't interest them. At that age they were allowed to wander in the CG as long as they stayed next to each other. No swimming without mom or dad. A good ball seemed to attract other kids for kickball or four square. Capture the flag is always fun, especially if you invite a few neighbor kids and parents to play. I taught them how to use a compass and would hide something for them to find. Geocaches can occupy time, too.
By age 12 my kids were more interested in spending time with other kids.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the camp that you shouldn't have to entertain kids all the time. My boys are four years apart and we never had to entertain them while camping. If we were camping for more than two nights, we would usually planned a day where we did some sightseeing but for a normal weekend of camping, they needed to entertain themselves. Don't get me wrong, we played games with them, ate meals as a family, etc. They always made new friends at every campground we went to.

Your 11 year old should be old enough to explore out of your sight with a friend provided she has a two-way radio and you know exactly where she will be. Set up check in times a close intervals and as you build trust/comfort, you can extend the check in times.

*edited to change "he" to "she"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
First, be VERY happy your kids want to do stuff other than play on their electronics!

My comments are right in line with toedtoes excellent suggestions.

Camping is about the entire family. While we had only one child, what we and other friends did was prior to each trip was to find out what activities were available in the area, that is in the park, and everything within an hours drive. Then put it all in front of the entire family and let everyone pick something. Do one "big" thing each day, like a bike hike, or a hike in the woods, an amusement park, or what ever. Build in smaller things like going with the kids to the park, or swimming. And yes, make sure to take the kids on a few adult things like a winery tour or historical sites. No need to have to make things like that "teaching" times, just let them absorb it on their own. They will say they hate it but the reality is that by the time they are teens they will develop an interest in stuff like that. Play board games and cards together at the picnic table at night. Build in some down time too. In other words, mix it up, make sure everyone gets something out of the trip.

Regarding letting the kids out of site, well that's your call, your comfort level. People can talk about letting them develop independence but we live in a different world than most of us grew up in. How we let them develop independence today has to be handled differently than 40 years ago. I will say that most CGs are very safe places. Again, you as parents have to make that call for your own family. If you do chose to let them on their own, set boundaries, where they can go and how long. The talkies are a great idea, make them check in once an hour, something like that.

And yes, you will be run ragged. That's what having kids is all about. When they leave home, that's when you get to relax and take it easy. Until then, it's non-stop.

All I'll say about the sidewalk chalk is that I hope I don't get so intolerant of kids as I get older that just seeing them have fun becomes that annoying. In other words, I don't ever want to forget what it's like to be a kid, or to raise kids.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)