cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kudos to B&L Automotive in Page AZ

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently travelling through the area, and my 2007 GMC Sierra diesel 3500 dually pulling a 26ft trailer lost power outside of Page AZ. It was mid afternoon and calling around to various shops, several of them recommended I contact B&L. Called them, they said bring it in and they would take a look. I was able to limp it to their shop.

Chad, the technician, pulled the codes (and not with just a OBD scanner), and everything pointed to a fuel line problem. Replaced the fuel filter and took off again, but only got a few miles along when the same thing happened. Again limped it back to B&L (at 4:45pm), and Chad said he would need to look at the diagnostics more closely in the morning. Mike the manager offered to let us stay outside their shop in the trailer and provided a 30 amp electric hookup.

The following morning, more extensive diagnostics didn't reveal a source of the problem. Chad said he had done some research after hours at home, to see if he could come up with a solution. Chad said that GM had changed some diagnostics specs beyond his equipment, and that it would be best to have any further diagnostics done at a GM dealer. There are none close by, the closest being over 100 miles out of the way. He said there were several parts that could be replaced, but couldn't say for sure if that would resolve the issue. He said he just couldn't see throwing money at the problem without knowing the specifics. Chad had taken the truck out several times without the trailer and couldn't duplicate the problem, even going up some of the steep hills around Page.

Chad also suggested that I get an OBD2 scanner to plug in and monitor the codes if this happened again, since it seemed to occur with the trailer attached. Picked up one at O'Reilly and on my way. Destination was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, not a place one wants to have vehicle issues. Able to make it there, with only one situation with codes showing up, and that was going up a long uphill to the top. No loss of power, and reset the OBD Scanner and continued on. This was the first leg of a 2000 mile round trip from Colorado. The rest of the trip was completely uneventful, no issues at all.

My speculation? Either the diesel fuel I'd gotten in Page was bad and created the problem, or the replacement of the fuel filter components resolved it. Or a combination of both. After refilling my diesel fuel, no additional problems at all.

I can't say enough good things about Chad the technician, or Mike the manager. They were willing to take my truck in late in their day, take a look at it, and then get it in first thing in the following morning. They let us stay there, saving me from having to try to get an RV spot somewhere in town. And Chad was completely honest about wanting to resolve the issue but that due to equipment limitations, couldn't get an accurate resolution.

Both are such a wonderful example of what good customer service should be about. Chad went out of his way to try to get this resolved, even researching at home after he was "off the clock". This shows to me that he's a man of integrity and honesty. And in a way, he did actually resolve the issue, since I had no further issues of any consequence for the remainder of the trip, which consisted of driving across northern Arizona and southern Colorado, through high desert and mountain passes.

I highly recommend B & L Automotive in Page AZ for any automotive needs, gas or diesel. Thank you, Chad and Mike!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
6 REPLIES 6

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Please tell me what station you used. Planning on filling up in Page on Sunday.

It was All American Fuels on Lake Powell Blvd. Chad, the service technician, said he had never heard of any problems with their diesel fuel there. The stations on Lake Powell Blvd, including this one, were a bit difficult to get into, I bypassed several others since they did not appear to be RV/trailer friendly in getting to the pumps. There's a Shell and a Maverik station on US 89 that are friendlier, I would have gone to them if I'd known before I chose this station.

Thank you. Got gas there in the toad today. Youโ€™re right. Not alot of Big Rig friendly stations there. Will take the 6 cents off at Maverik.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nutinelse2do wrote:

It was All American Fuels on Lake Powell Blvd. Chad, the service technician, said he had never heard of any problems with their diesel fuel there. The stations on Lake Powell Blvd, including this one, were a bit difficult to get into, I bypassed several others since they did not appear to be RV/trailer friendly in getting to the pumps. There's a Shell and a Maverik station on US 89 that are friendlier, I would have gone to them if I'd known before I chose this station.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Did you post your experience on RV Service Reviews?

Wasn't aware of this site, but just posted there as well. Also posted a review on Google and Yelp.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sounds like a REALLY good shop. Thanks for posting!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you post your experience on RV Service Reviews?