cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ladder Mounted Flag Safe?

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
For years we have used the ladder mounted flag pole that we purchased at camping world. It has worked well even though getting up on the ladder to mount it is getting more difficult to do. One night in Florida we had a very bad thunder storm with lightening strinking evereywhere. I got to thinking arn't we at risk having an aluminum flag pole sticking up five feet above the RV attached to an aluminum ladder? The storms come up so fast that when the lightning starts striking I have no interest in getting on the ladder to grab the pole to take it down. What are your thoughts?
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One
19 REPLIES 19

Va_Budman
Explorer
Explorer
Well Bob, cpmath now knows TWO RV'ers who fly flags 5 above the roof of their RVs. Why, I did just that over the past weekend while camping at Richmond International Raceway for the NASCAR races. Weather was perfect. No wind or lightening.

And I do not consider the American Flag to be "a decoration", lumped in with tackey pink flamingos.
The Virginia Budman
2002 Ford F350 7.3L PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
2012 Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
Pullrite Superglide 16K
Tekonsha Prodigy
Mistress - '05 Harley Davidson Heritage Custom LE

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
cpmath
You stated, as copied below, that you do not know of anybody who camps with a flagpole that extends five feet above their RV.You suggested putting our flag in the window and camp not decorate. When we travel in the south or out west we run into a lot of people who proudly display the American flag. I am very surprised that you are not used to seeing it. We are very proud to display the American Flag and will be doing it in New England this Spring.

"I don't know anyone that has an aluminum flagpole sticking up on a aluminum ladder 5 feet higher than their RV, next month, or next season I would expect you'll be posting asking about an electrical problem AFTER you've been struck by lightning. Do away with the lightning rod and flag, put your flag in a window and camp, not decorate."
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be more worried about wind than lightening, but you do have a point.

The flag pole I use is a 20 or 25 (not sure which without measuring) sunsetter telescoping, all metal, but the mount is a "park on" mount, a flat aluminum sheet lying on the ground, with about 2-4 tons of Motor home parked on top.

There is a plastic sleeve, but to a direct lightening hit, it ... Won't matter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
In February I purchased a Flag Pole Buddy. This mount is fiberglass filled nylon. The pole is fiberglass. The flag can be installed from the ground in about 10 seconds.

I bought two - 2" mounts. I use one for my ham radio antenna. I plan to use the other for a flag.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anyone that has an aluminum flagpole sticking up on a aluminum ladder 5 feet higher than their RV, next month, or next season I would expect you'll be posting asking about an electrical problem AFTER you've been struck by lightning. Do away with the lightning rod and flag, put your flag in a window and camp, not decorate.