cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaving vents open

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Being a newbie and seeing the hot weather roll in, what's the prevailing opinion on leaving the vents open a crack while it's being stored between weekend outings? We have MaxAir2 covers on them. Just thinking it would vent some of the hot air that could get stale inside the camper
Steve & Terri
2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.4L
2013 Coachman Chaparral Signature 327RLKS
Look out! We're newbies!
23 REPLIES 23

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
You mean people are actually using rvs without MAX AIR covers?

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours closed, as our storage lot has a gravel road nearby and we like our trailer dustfree (if that's possible..lol).
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

jpfx
Explorer
Explorer
when the AC is on, the vents are closed. My AC is more efficient that way.
By way of explanation I have a class C with 3 slides and only one AC unit. There are enough small air gaps that even though hot air would rise out of the vents when the AC is on, the reality is that warm air is also drawn in through the gaps. With the AC on and vents closed, the AC doesn't work as hard and will cycle on/off. With vents open, for the same thermostat setting, the AC will stay on far longer.
I have MaxAir vent covers though I would fit Camco Aero Flo if they weren't already there as the Aero Flos are easier to clean.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...this thread reminds me that I need to get some vent covers for the new motorhome....need to get a fantastic fan or two put in also sometime...actually i have a long list of stuff I need (er want)....lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
wbwood wrote:
Four screws holding her down. Plus the vent fins to them are facing backwards. Now if you are doing 70mph in reverse......
If you are doing 70 backwards...... I'll be in the WalMart parking lot till you go by. :B
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Four screws holding her down. Plus the vent fins to them are facing backwards. Now if you are doing 70mph in reverse......
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
How about when you're driving? will they blow off? The one in the bathrooms too high to reach without a step stool.

If they're installed correctly, nothing should blow off.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
How about when you're driving? will they blow off? The one in the bathrooms too high to reach without a step stool.
Gary

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have covers and leave the vents open when not in use with the air on.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always leave the shower vent open. Who cares if a little rain gets past it?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We not only have MaxxAir's over our two vents and keep them open about half way all year round when the RV is in storage in the backyard ... we also keep the thermostatically controlled Fantastic fan in the front vent set to around 80 degrees. In hot weather this comes on and pulls outside air through the entire length of the RV to help keep the interior temperature down so that excessive heat buildup doesn't slowly ruin things over time.

Our RV is plugged in all the time when in storage, so we also keep an electric heater inside turned to come on at around a low of 50 degrees. This stops freezing during winter cold snaps, plus helps keep mold from forming due to the damp air during cold fall/winter/spring rains.

The interior of your RV should be maintained the same way as you would maintain the interior of your residence ... never too hot, never too cold, and never too moist.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
samsontdog wrote:
brirene wrote:
TomHaycraft wrote:
I have the covers, only time mine are closed is when the A/C is running. Even in the winter when running the heater, I will leave one cacked open to prevent moisture from building up.

X2.

X3

this is up to about X10 by now, that is the whole purpose of the Max Air covers keep rain out and let the air out.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Our RVs are stored on our property. The vents are left part way open. If we know a storm is coming we'll close them. But there have been storms and no rain has come in. They're covered with those MaxAir's.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
TomHaycraft wrote:
I have the covers, only time mine are closed is when the A/C is running. Even in the winter when running the heater, I will leave one cacked open to prevent moisture from building up.

X2.

X3
samsontdog:o:W