cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED’S under awning

Sam4msu
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about adding some LED lights on my camper under the awning. I have seen these spoils of LED’S that are self adhesive backed. They are encased in silicon. You just cut to length and wire. I’m thinking about wiring to the outside light to control with that switch. Any input on this type of light? How about how to manage the wire that will have to run a few feet to the power source?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Sam4msu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great ideas.

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
We installed This one. It has a nice track that you mount to the side of the RV then peel the adhesive backing cover and put the LED's into that. Came out pretty sweet!
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came from the factory and are attached to the underside of the awning right next to the trailer. I wish they were on the other end of the awning because they attract bugs and then when you open the door they fly right in. I have seen them on the outside end of the awning.

They do make an effective porch light even with the awning rolled up and I would miss that if they were on the other end of the awning but that would be better than the bugs.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
But...I generally like no light outside when evening arrives. I can see better after beginning nautical twilight. While I’m not hiding, I want to see not be seen.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
I used the cheap $20 roll of lights. I drilled a hole thru the wall of the trailer and wired it to a switch inside. There are no wires running on the outside of the RV.

That’s how I did mine. I even put the remote sensor outside. Mine change color if I want. I can even make them flash to annoy the neighbors!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I used the cheap $20 roll of lights. I drilled a hole thru the wall of the trailer and wired it to a switch inside. There are no wires running on the outside of the RV.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put my encapsulated leds on a few years ago. They have been great so far. The ones I have are water proof, the silicone rectangular tubes ones are splash proof. Go with the encapsulated ones.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wired it as you dscribe and installed them where Mike S. did. They do a much better job of lighting the wall of the RV IMO. Also, they're not inclined to be soaked like the ones in the awning roller are so they should last.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for ones in a enclosed rectangular Silicon tube, and then used silicon caulk to seal the ends. I had installed the cheap ones you described, but they corroded in less than a year. Only got crazy colors!

Sorry I don't have the address of where I found them.

Oh yea I used some 3M butyl tape from Home Depot to hold them on. Worked great!

I also stick a strip (about 2' long) under the door. I leave these on almost all the time, they face down and are a nice step light.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend getting the strips which are encapsulated, not the ones in a rectangular silicone tube. And, the self-adhesive isn't very good on most. I used hot-melt glue. These also came with a remote control, so the controller is in the porch light housing.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you are happy with the type of light the LEDs produce. I like "warm white" for instance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad