cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lighter weight four down toad?

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
I googled looking for a toad to use as a dinghy for a 3500 Sprinter Class C.

The recommendations were vehicles like Jeeps, F150 pickups, Chevy Colorado, Equinox.

That's heavier than I want. Aren't there some scooters like a Kia Soul or Honda CRV or HRv that'll flat tow? A Honda Fit or BMW Mini are a little too small.

The Honda Element seemed to be what I had in mind but they don't make them anymore.
20 REPLIES 20

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good used Chevy Sonic (auto or manual) or Spark (manual) but the latter may be too small.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2020 Ford Ranger 4X4.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that's exactly what my calculations revealed. The published 11,030 is the figure I found from Lichtsinn RV.

A 2022 Honda CRV curb weight is ~3600 lbs. + 90 lbs for 15 gallons gas + ~40 lbs (strictly a guess) for towbar and bracket would give me a gross weight of toad vehicle of 3730. Well under the 4,220 lb. figure. I'm an old pilot so I'm used to figuring weight and balances.

Now, back to my original query. I'm looking for a four down toad in a certain size and weight parameter.

Any suggestions??

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the basic rule of thumb is that the max weight you can safely tow is the LESSER of the following:

- the difference between the GCWR and GVWR. both are published numbers by the RV mfg. if you can't find the GVWR you csn get a good approximation by adding the GAWR (gross axle weight ratings).
- the weight rating of the hitch
- the weight rating of the towbar.

is the 11,030 the GVWR of the MH? assuming it is then the maximum weight you can tow,is 4,220-lbs. and that assumes that your MH weighs no more than 11,030-lbs when fully loaded for travel. fully loaded includes everything in the MH...food, fuel, water, LP, clothes, supplies, food, people, etc. it also assumes that neither axle is overloaded...each axle has it's own weight ratings. a 5000-lb towbar would be fine and when flat towing there is negligible tongue weight (no significant downward pressure on the hitch). but the 11,030 is a weird figure. GVWR's are usually even numbers like 18,000, 24,000 or even 19,500-lbs.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer hitch: 5,000-lb. drawbar/ 500-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight.
GCWR: 15,250 lbs.
GCVR: 11,030 lbs. 

Don't have a tow bar. Waiting to see what toad I buy,

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
what is your GVWR, GCWR, weigjt rating for your hitch and towbar?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle