cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

long term non-use/storage

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have health issues and have not used my Class B Xplorer230XL since last August. I filled the gas tank and added stabil. I winterized the water system and removed the house batteries. I just found out the starter battery is dead and not recoverable. I keep it in my driveway.

I may not be able to use it until mid 2021. Is there anything else I should do? I'm guessing I should remove the bad starter battery and either replace it or just leave it empty.
22 REPLIES 22

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
remember if you don,t use it, it,ll rot in the drive way. diesels are a different engine they can sit , gas engines can,t still for long they need to move ,

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put insurance on it and drive it monthly, or sell it. Otherwise, you are going to let it turn into a useless pile of refuse. Consider the insurance to be a maintenance cost. Also, a trickle charger on the (new) chassis battery would be good.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Stabil has a shelf life and you are probably pushing it to its limit. I would drain that gas or most of it before your net use.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy,

That's not needed in Michigan. I've been doing this for 20 years. The MH does not leave my driveway.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I have the insurance turned off except for comprehensive, so it's not legal to drive.

don't know about your state but here if you drop the state min liability you must immediately turn in your plates. big fine daily if you don't.
run, do not walk to your DMV office.
bumpy

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I would make sure your tires are inflated properly. It is a toss up between not putting in a battery until you are ready to travel verses putting one in so you can move it in the driveway to rotate the wheels. But then you would need to let it idle until it's up to running temperature... so I think my choice would be to let it sit with no battery. My DP sat for a year once and the only issue was it took a bit for the air brakes to release because they had probably rusted to the drums. In your case I would make sure your emergency brake is off and block the wheels if needed.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have the insurance turned off except for comprehensive, so it's not legal to drive.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d get it up and running , have some one drive it about twenty miles a month every couple weeks would be nice . get the engine hot. the rv part sounds like you have it stored pretty good. machines that have moving parts don,t do well just sitting have air in tires checked. hope your health improves.