cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Trips - S&B Shutdown

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning to hit the road starting next year for trips that last anywhere from 2 to 4 months with short 3-4 week stays back at our home in Alabama. I know a lot of people just go full time, but we have a lot of reasons to keep our home, even though we'll be gone much of the time.

I've been working on how to shut down the house properly during these long absences.

So far, it seems like I want to keep the heater on at the lowest possible setting to ensure that pipes don't freeze solid. I want to turn off the circuit breakers to almost everything else. I imagine that I also want to either purge the hot water heater, or turn it to its lowest possible setting.

I'm going to ditch the cable/internet (they don't have a vacation plan in my market) and rely on over-the-air TV and our wireless phones' internet when we're home. It doesn't even seem worth it to get DSL if it's going to go unused 9 months of the year.

I need to make an arrangement for my mail as I think USPS won't hold for longer than x amount of days or times per year.

I need to arrange with my lawn guy in advance to keep it mowed and edged, and I need to leave the sprinkler system running during the growing season to keep the grass from dying. I have a contract with the sprinkler people to come out twice a year to purge/reactivate my sprinklers.

I found a cellular-based security system that only costs $15/mo for monitoring after the initial purchase. That means I won't need to keep a land line phone going.

I think I can work with a neighbor to keep papers and such from accumulating on my driveway.

Does anyone have suggestions or experience they can impart?
F-350 SuperDuty SuperCab 8' Box
On deposit: Open Range Roamer RF337RLS
-
Used to have:
2001 Sunnybrook 31BWFS 5'er
-
Retiring 2015
-
DShizzel -- An over the hill white guy with "Shizzel" in his handle.
13 REPLIES 13

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:
I've seen articles online that say you should cover toilet with plastic wrap b/c bugs can use the pipes as a super highway into your house. There are photos online, but I've personally never known anyone to have done this... however it seems to make sense and is cheap/easy to do.

I do it so the water won't evaporate.
Some folks pour some cooking oil in the bowl for the same reason. I like the wrap better though.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen articles online that say you should cover toilet with plastic wrap b/c bugs can use the pipes as a super highway into your house. There are photos online, but I've personally never known anyone to have done this... however it seems to make sense and is cheap/easy to do.

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about hitting the circuit breaker for everything inside except the furnace (set at lowest setting) during winter trips. We don't freeze much here in N. Alabama, but it does happen a few times a year. Also, would keep some outside lights going.
-
Used to have:
-
Retiring 2015
-

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
tjfogelberg wrote:
Closing up for long trips:
Electricity: Unplug anything with a transformer.

Very important. Don't forget the door bell. I came home one afternoon and the thing was smoking because the solenoid stuck. 10 minutes since the UPS guy delivered and rang the bell.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what you do, An empty house looks like an empty house.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:

Security: Have a light or two on timer. Pull drapes/blinds. Use security system. (Can you send me the provider for the cellular based system?)

SimpliSafe CNET Review

I think I'm going to go with these guys. Except for lack of camera, it seems a good solution for us.
-
Used to have:
-
Retiring 2015
-

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am very far north so I have to drain the water lines (just in case).
I found cancelling the cable to be the best. When I come back there are a ton of offers fro the TWC here begging me back with great offers with no commitment.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the usual things like turning the water off to the ice maker, washing machine,and all sinks/toilets and putting the water heater on "vacation", we set the heat to 50 degrees. We have baseboard hot water heat and were told that the water to the house should not be turned off. We put bowl cleaner in the toilets and cover the opening with plastic film. We do not flush the toilet after the water is turned off. Doing that caused the seals to dry out and required repairs when we got back.
We got a seasonal insurance policy which was significantly more expensive than a regular policy.

We also installed a GE wireless security system with very easy to install wireless sensors. If you have Internet while you are gone you can get a wireless camera you can access via your page on the security company's web site. The security company we use is FrontPoint Security

If there is a power outage there is a 24 hour backup battery and an email is sent telling you when it went out and one when it came back on. If it is out for more than a specified time you will get a call.

The system uses the Verizon data network to communicate with the monitoring company. It uses other providers like Sprint if there is no Verizon coverage.

We have door/window sensors, motion detector, freeze detectors, and flood detectors. In exchange for a big discount on the sensors you have a 3 year contract for $35 to $50 per month - depending on the plan.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I've started a home automation system using the Vera Lite controller from Amazon. It operates Z wave modules-light switches and outlets. I have about 10 of these around the house on lights and a radio and can control via internet web browser or an Android app. There is also a solenoid Zwave module I have on the common output lead of my sprinkler timer. I can control whether the sprinklers go through their cycle or not without disturbing the timer.

The Vera Lite is capable of quite a bit if you're good at programming-lots of automation. Some of it is quite advanced far more than myself. But to simply pair it with the Zwave devices and operate these devices remotely is quite simple. No monthly subscription charges to use their service.

Also I have Honeywell thermostat which can be controlled remotely via the web or app. No subscription charges on that either.

sodajerk
Explorer
Explorer
After you shut off the water pour some RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) in each toilet and drain to fill up the p trap. Water will evaporate and let sewer gas back up into your house.
Happy camping.
Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Closing up for long trips:

Water: Shut off at main. Turn off H2O Htr (Don't need to drain). Unplug water conditioner.

Electricity: Unplug anything with a transformer.

Mail: Easiest is to have a neighbor throw everything in a box. And scan and email selected items (don't get much mail anymore).

Security: Have a light or two on timer. Pull drapes/blinds. Use security system. (Can you send me the provider for the cellular based system?)

Garage: Use/give away/recycle combustibles. Gas, oil, paint etc.

Yard: Buy a townhome or condo or plant easy care things like perennials. Reduce amount of grass by using perennials or decorative rock in areas.

TV: Cut the cable and get a digital antenna.

Food: Take ALL food with you and empty/clean and unplug fridge and leave open.

Fritz_H
Explorer
Explorer
For the mail, I'd suggest getting a box at a local Mailboxes Etc. or similar store. Usually mom-pop operations that would probably be very happy to hold your mail for as long as you like. I also like them because I know my packages will always be delivered to a real person and not left on my porch. Especially good if you like to order wine on line and need a legal adult to sign for it - tough when you work.
Randy
Olympia, WA
2014 Dutchmen Denali 2371RB
pulled by a 2008 Ford F250 XLT Supercab
2007 Shelby GT
1985 VW Vanagon GL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off all the water supplies you can. If you have to leave the irrigation going, put an alarm close to the supply point in your house. That alarm should call or text you in the event of a leak.
My Sister-in-law had the irrigation supply break inside their house in Phoenix. Before anyone noticed the leak (they are snowbirds), the water sat inside the house and mold grew over everything. The whole interior of the house was gutted and rebuilt.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton