cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP detector goes off... Need help finding leak or source

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is discussed often but I'm stuck.

5th wheel sunny brook 2003
Lp detector has been replaced recently date is june 2012 on backside

At 3am the lp detector went off. I pushed button and opened door to vent. Went off. 15 minutes later it went off again. I pressed button and vented it went off. 30 mins later it went off again. I opened tank compartment door and smelled what I thought was propane. I cut off both tank valves and vented rv, and it didn't go back on.

Today I opened both tanks and started spraying down each fitting, tank, and anything propane related with soapy water. I followed the tube to water heater and sprayed. I followed tube to behind the fridge outside vent door. I removed futnace vent door and sprayed. I opened stove top and sprayed all propane line connections.

Nothing bubbled at all and at no time did I smell gas.

Here is something though. I just sanitized the rv with 1 cup bleach in 42 gal water. I drained and refilled though the water still smelled and taste like chlorine. I took a shower and flushed using this water. Could chlorine water have caused this?

I thought about buying the $30 sniffer tool. I want to avoid an rv shop at all costs. Where should I go from here? Btw it was 40 deg outside when alarm went off and 75 deg when I checked for leaks. Any help or advice appreciated!
25 REPLIES 25

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not replaced your detector since new, it should be replaced. They are only good for 5 years. Ours was faulty after just 2 years. Of course ours went off during the night and was so loud that it probably could be heard throughout the entire campground loop. They are less than $100 to replace.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
remove the tanks, vent the RV for several hours, close it up and see what happens.

2012 date on the detector? Good chance you have already found the problem.

Also, make sure the dog isnt sleeping near the detector. Doggy...uh...emissions will set them off. Just ask my dog. He will tell you.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Spray the vent area on the regulator.

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Thank yall for the help and advice! I will be doing what has been suggested and will report back if I still have trouble!! Much appreciated!!!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
kyle86 wrote:
I know this is discussed often but I'm stuck.

5th wheel sunny brook 2003
Lp detector has been replaced recently date is june 2012 on backside

At 3am the lp detector went off. I pushed button and opened door to vent. Went off. 15 minutes later it went off again. I pressed button and vented it went off. 30 mins later it went off again. I opened tank compartment door and smelled what I thought was propane. I cut off both tank valves and vented rv, and it didn't go back on.

Today I opened both tanks and started spraying down each fitting, tank, and anything propane related with soapy water. I followed the tube to water heater and sprayed. I followed tube to behind the fridge outside vent door. I removed futnace vent door and sprayed. I opened stove top and sprayed all propane line connections.

Nothing bubbled at all and at no time did I smell gas.

Here is something though. I just sanitized the rv with 1 cup bleach in 42 gal water. I drained and refilled though the water still smelled and taste like chlorine. I took a shower and flushed using this water. Could chlorine water have caused this?

I thought about buying the $30 sniffer tool. I want to avoid an rv shop at all costs. Where should I go from here? Btw it was 40 deg outside when alarm went off and 75 deg when I checked for leaks. Any help or advice appreciated!

Your detector is suspect, but......

Should be E-Z to find the culprit with a bit of effort.

Shut off the propane supply.
Make sure the RV is thoroughly "aired out".
Does the detector still go off?

If, so - remove the bottle/s and repeat.

If it still goes off - you need a new detector, or it's picking up some other odor.

If it doesn't go off -with NO propane "source" - you have a leak somewhere.

~

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
I had our detector go off and was driving me crazy. Finally realized that my house batteries were starting to go and were omitting gas into the house. Put new house batteries in and the detector is now silent.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 2 vents on that regulator

A very small pin hole one on 1st stage (high pressure) and then a larger screened one on 2nd s stage (low pressure)..

Both vents allow atmospheric air in & out of non-propane side of the diaphragms that control the propane pressure.
That is primary reason for vents-----------secondary use is to let you know of a leak due to bad regulator diaphragm

Replace the regulator. Use Yellow Gas tape on threaded fittings

Cavagna makes good quality regulators.

Good time to replace the pigtail hoses (ones that go to regulator with the Big Green nut)

They are 13/14 yrs old if OEM on that 2003 Sunnybrook
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
kyle86 wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
Spray the regulator and check it for leaks, not just the connections.

This is why I love this forum!!!!

After I read this post I started inspecting the regulator closely. I put my ear next to it and can hear it hissing very faintly. I noticed a screen on the bottom which I assume is a vent. I put my nose under it and it smells like gas. I called my wife over for a 2nd opinion and she believes that it smells too. This is after leaving the compartment door open for a couple hours to vent the compartment. Is this screen vent on the bottom a typical place for these regulators to leak gas?

Regulators are are somewhat inexpensive about $50, the "vent" should not vent gas to the outside air!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

This is why I love this forum!!!!

After I read this post I started inspecting the regulator closely. I put my ear next to it and can hear it hissing very faintly. I noticed a screen on the bottom which I assume is a vent. I put my nose under it and it smells like gas. I called my wife over for a 2nd opinion and she believes that it smells too. This is after leaving the compartment door open for a couple hours to vent the compartment. Is this screen vent on the bottom a typical place for these regulators to leak gas?

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
How about contacting a mobile RV tech. They are usually much better at solving problems and they come to you.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, if you are smelling gas and others are smelling gas, it is likely that your gas detector is smelling gas too. You need to figure out where the gas smell is coming from and get it fixed.

That said, the gas detectors can be set off by other things.
Each year when I pour RV antifreeze in my p traps, my gas detector goes off. I know it is NOT propane or CO, because neither my furnace or my propane is turned on, and it isn't low battery because I'm plugged into shore power. I open the door and turn on the bathroom fan, and after about 5 minutes the alarm stops. I keep ventilating and the alarm stays silent even after I shut the doors and windows. This has happened for 3 consecutive years (as many times as I have winterized). My alarm clearly does not like RV antifreeze.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem for years with my detector going off. I had everything checked out multiple times and couldn't find the cause. Finally, I replaced the detector and never had the problem again. It was a faulty detector. Frankly, I liked the old detectors that measured the LP gas pressure. If the needle moved after turning off the LP, it meant there was a leak somewhere. It doesn't provide the warning of the alarm but, considering the failure rate, along with the obvious risk of having a malfunctioning detector, they should have kept both the leak detector and the LP detector.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is something though. I just sanitized the rv with 1 cup bleach in 42 gal water. I drained and refilled though the water still smelled and taste like chlorine. I took a

shower

and flushed using this water. Could chlorine water have caused this?

YES the chlorine can set it off.

I switched brands of RV Antifreeze last year and that set that detector off over and over and over again. It was that sensitive to of all things the RV antifreeze.:R

I had to open all the windows and doors and it still kept going off. I finally dragged a big fan out there and exhausted the RV but I STILL had to go back and wash down the shower pan of any evidence of the antifreeze.

The shower pan being so low to the floor is what kept setting it off.

30 years of winterizing RV's and I never had that happen until I bought that different brand. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.