cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lube for receiver of tow vehicle, stabilizer jacks

Macattack
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our travel trailer for a little over 10 years now. I'm now dealing with some rust issues on some of the exterior exposed areas, and have some questions. Is there a preferred fix for the inside of the receiver for the hitch bar on the tow vehicle? Other rusted areas that I will need to get to are the stabilizer jacks, but I'm planning on taking them off, sanding, priming, and painting. The areas of the hitch (Hensley Arrow) and safety cables that aren't painted are also rusted. Any suggestions? I was toying with the idea of sanding unpainted parts and then coating them with something like the homemade Red's gun lube, repainting other parts.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Rob and Cindy

2012 Ford E350 Super Duty 5.4
2006 Sunline T2075
Hensley Arrow Connecting, Brakes Controlled with Prodigy
3 REPLIES 3

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Crawl under the trailer with a pressure washer, safety glasses and and old clothes . do the whole unit under all the frame and where ever you can reach. Then Putty knives and screw driver, scrape off all loose stuff. Then get 5 cans of rust spray coat, FACE MASK and glasses. spray every where you can.
Let dry, then go back and re-scrape the rest of the loose spots. Then re-spray . Now get some good rust preventive top coat paint and re-paint the under side again.
I have done this, it is quite tedious but well worth the time and effort.
The jacks you might just wish to replace them. but what ever you wish, the hitch, take it down to a sand blaster and have them do it up good , you can re=paint it .

Have fun and relax. This will be a couple of days project.
Chuck

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about painting the inside of the receiver, won't it just wear off again? I understand painting the outside of all components, but not the inside where there is a fair amount of friction.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pressure wash and a can of black rustoleum.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold