cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

maintance free battery

bgant4
Explorer
Explorer
Will a maintaince free battery work in my rv? I do not have an inverter only a battery charger.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

arizal
Explorer
Explorer
The Cedar Creek Silverback 29 RE 2012 that you list in your profile would have a 3 stage converter that will recharge your new AGM batteries whenever you have it plugged into shore power. I have had 2 large Interstate AGMs on my trailer since it was new 2009 and they still work perfectly. They require no maintenance as there is no venting what so ever and the battery terminals never corrode.
The Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are more expensive to begin with but if you live in a high heat area like I do, it is the only battery that I would consider.
ArizAl
2009 Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab 5.3 6 speed 3.42 Axle 4X4 w/ Runningboard Lift
2009 Viewfinder V21FB with Handicap Assist Mods
Yamaha EF2400ISHC

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the type of camping you do. In my type of camping, part timer and full hook ups, the combination starter/deep cell will serve you well. If you like to dry camp then I would not recommend them.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer: YES.. Many RV's in fact use one or another type of Maintenance free.

NOTE: I am not a fan of AGM (Which is a sub set of Maintenance free) as I feel you are paying more and getting less with them,, But I use a mix of traditional (Liquid filled) Maintenance free and flooded wet here.

I will give you the advantages:
Flooded wet, specifilly GC-2 Golf car batteries (you need two)
Low cost, and large capacity, Fairly long life if maintained, Mine were abused and made it nine years. The typical GC-2 pair is 220-230 amp horus but you can get them larger (250). It is also typically a TRUE DEEP CYCLE Battery.. More on that later.

Maintenance free.
Not that much more cost wise, You do not need to add Distilled water.. Typical capaicty depends on the battery size, Most common sizes are: Group 24, 75 amp horus, group 27-95, group 29-105 group 31-130 So by using 2 you can easily match the capacity of the GC-2 pairs. HOWEVER these are also typically MARINE/DEEP CYCLE, this is a starting battery.

AGM: Sub set of Maintenance free, Easier to find a DEEP CYCLE AGM however, AGM batteries can be mounted on end, on their side, upside down, at a weird angle, any way you can shove them in.

OPTIMA: Sub set of AGM, higher cost, NO advantage for RV house batteries, Capacity (and weight) around 60% of the figures above.

Now, the clases

Stareting batteries: Are designed to deliver a lot of current (Amps) but only for a short period of time.. They like to be well fed (like 75 or 80 percent state of charge or better.

Marine/Deep cycle.. Are primarly starting batteries.. They too like to be fairly well fed (Say 75)

Discharge them beyond that and life time sufferes, Take 'em down too low (Say 25 percent) and it's new battery time.

NOTE: Some folks claim you can take AGM's lower.. I disagree.

DEEP CYCLE are designed to routinely go to 50% state of charge without serious damage.. And Mine recovered from the occasional discharge down into truly scary (Would not light a 1156 lamp) range a few times.

For a 12 volt DEEP CYCLE, Check golf car suppliers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 on the AGM however they are not cheap & to get best performance they need a multi stage programmable charger.

Most are not prepared to spend that kind of money.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second, buy an AGM not a Gel Cell.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
an AGM battery will work. Do not buy a "maintenance free" car battery. You need a deep cycle battery which an AGM is.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN