cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Transmission Hyundai Accent as a toad?

TVQ1
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on buying a toad to tow behind our 2014 Jayco Redhawk 26xs.

We are very interested in a 2018 Hyundai Accent at our local dealer. Low miles, super clean, light weight and a great price.

BUT---I can find nothing in the owner's manual about recreational towing of a manual Accent. It only covers emergency towing.

Both REMCO and the 2018 Dinghy Towing guide say they are flat towable.

Any advice or experience towing a manual Accent?

Our other good option is a 2019 Ford Fiesta Automatic, but we'd prefer a manual transmission, and we are partial to Hyundais.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

TVQ1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice & opinions!

We bought a 2019 Fiesta today, and we are very happy with it. We decided the Accent was just a little underpowered and small for us.
Next up: n choosing a tow system. It's all Greek to us, so we'll be back for more advice!
Thanks again,
TVQ

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
what ever you do, have a charge line installed from the get go. All accessories OFF, LIGHTS OFF (drl) when key in accessory will illuminate and run down battery, dont ask how I found out :).

Yes I also plan to tow my 94 ranger so I can carry a boat when the kids want to go fishing. Plan is to add a ladder rack and carry 12ft boat there. Got the base plate from a fellow here who sold his and didnt need them anymore. Just got a in cab brake system from a guy who didnt want it so just waiting for son in law to come help install everything. The new rangers supposedly can be towed 4 down with the auto trans, but configuring mine is much cheaper and since it will only have me and wife inside thats all the room we need!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If in doubt, any FWD vehicle can be transported on a tow dolly. Been using one for years (with surge brakes). We're not limited to just one toad that way.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There is an email from Hyundai here

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if Hank has been reading my mail but I too have an elantra, 2013 two door that we use as a toad but my ford ranger is also set up to tow.
The elantra standard shift makes a great toad. I had the dealer call Hyundai to confirm and was told radio and heater off so you don't run down the battery and go as far as fast as you want, no restrictions. We have towed it about 30,000 miles so far.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
my 2013 elantra also only talks about emergency towing and we have towed it for about 20000 miles with no issues. The car weights about 2800lbs and has good performance. The smaller accent I have been told leaves much to be desired as far as performance goes. My son in laws mom had one and got ride of it as she was afraid she would get run over on the highway. Ours has 150HP direct injection and we get around 35+ when it is driven. Its not our daily driver as wife has an accord with automatic and I drive a ranger pu daily. So we have almost same towed miles on it as miles driven! Only issue we had was front cv joint went out but it was covered by warranty. So overall you need to see if the little car really is what you want and maybe compare with next size up. BTW the newer hyundai/kias are supposedly not towable and the 100000 mile warranty is also not transferable according to the local hyundai dealer if that is part of your thinking,