cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Met a Good Samaritan Today

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pulled into a campground around dusk. It is on fairgrounds property with dirt roads and grass sites. Just about to swing into the site when the neighbor down the way flags me to stop. He politely warned me of the hidden mud hole that had gobbled up another rig as he had arrived. Took a look at the mud hole and man o man did I give him a huge thank you. I would still be digging muck to try and get out. It was completely hidden in the grass I would have been stuck big time.

Thank you fellow rver!
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
13 REPLIES 13

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Samaritans are everywhere .. and as Campground Hosts we try our best to help others have a good time while camped here ... and if that means a few minutes of our time to answer questions, so be it ... sometimes people just need a little help as they travel from here and to there.

And yep, first 6 months of rv'ng we did our share of almost oops .. but thanx to good Samaritans we were kept from that mini-crisis or crisis. So we have passed on their attitude of helping each other out ..
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
There's not much difference in personal responsibility and telling someone how to be responsible is there?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
tsetsaf wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
...someone needs to rope off that site or put a sign in front saying MUD HOLE TO THE MAX. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Or people could learn to walk a site before leaving the road. I thought everyone did that.

Usually do but it was a long day, the baby was crying, and I wanted to get hooked up. I assume the comment was not meant to be as condescending as it came across.

Not meant to be condescending at all. I was posting in regard to the comment that someone should post a sign.

I am a huge believer in personal responsibility and I think that leaving the road with a heavy rig into unknown conditions is foolish.

I am glad that someone prevented you from making the mistake, however you would have seen it yourself if you had walked the site.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
...someone needs to rope off that site or put a sign in front saying MUD HOLE TO THE MAX. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Or people could learn to walk a site before leaving the road. I thought everyone did that.

Usually do but it was a long day, the baby was crying, and I wanted to get hooked up. I assume the comment was not meant to be as condescending as it came across.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:

Apparently you're a majority of one.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Good Samaritan help me out one winter when we got our car stuck as a group of horney teenage boys going to a dance looking for girls and we headed down the wrong road that wasn't plowed open. I've been trying to repay that favor all my life by helping other people out.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Glad he able to stop and warn you!

As for the ones leaving kids behind...do they slow down or speed up when you flag them down? And, are the kids dragging a piece of picnic table from rope tied to their legs? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
janechucknicodemus wrote:
As a camp ground host in many different places ,, we have to STOPPPPPPP several each week for a lot of goofy reasons. Even the kids chasing them out of the park,,Yes thats for real.
Cheers and make a list of what you need to depart.
C

Maybe it was not an accident they were leaving without the kids :@

ok now I gotta fess up I thought the same thing...:D

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
boy you were lucky he was there to help you.

someone needs to rope off that site or put a sign in front saying MUD HOLE TO THE MAX. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
janechucknicodemus wrote:
As a camp ground host in many different places ,, we have to STOPPPPPPP several each week for a lot of goofy reasons. Even the kids chasing them out of the park,,Yes thats for real.
C

Maybe it was not an accident they were leaving without the kids :@

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
C

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Had I known, I would have done the same.

We aren't particularly social people and generally keep to ourselves when we are in proximity to others, but we tend to notice our surroundings. 2 weeks ago I observed a rig headed out of the CG with the antenna up. When I stopped him he was within 5' of beheading it with a tree. He was almost tearfully grateful. No self aggrandizement here, just hope that someone does the same for me down the road.

Thanks for your post.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8