cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal Detector owners

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the CG this week. While we were in the office, an older gentleman came in to check the lost and found. He had lost his wedding ring, pretty upset. The camp host took his name/address. She said that someone would come once in a while and use a metal detector to look for lost items. Someone else had lost a wedding ring in May. The host said that the metal detector guy had not been by this year, yet. If I had one, I would take it camping with us. Sounds like a good service, if anyone on the forum has one.
65 REPLIES 65

lincoln30
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut wrote:
If you choose to metal detect in the western states where much of the land is federal, please take the time to check the rules of not only the state, but the land manager for that parcel of land be it BLM, Forest service, or something else. Don't even ask the national park service as they will fine you for just having a metal detector in your hand. You have to worry about things like violating the antiquities act, which comes with some pretty hefty fines.

I read something a few years back you can have one but it has to be dismantled and not handy to get at.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Detecting is like anything else, the more you do it the better by accident you become. You have to learn what that detector is telling you and the sounds it makes mean something. My unit is set for tone ID, each type of metal, gold, silver or trash sound different. Also like in most things, the more you pay the more the unit will do or tell you what it is your over. I have the White's DFX, was kind of expensive when I got it in 2001 but has never failed me and lets me have an enjoyable time when I take it out. I love following another detectorist and finding things he missed with his unit. When someone will say that field has be hunted out, that is where I want to go, as they are NEVER hunted out.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
So far in the 6 months that I've been playing with this detector I found that public parks are the best place to find coins. I haven't had much luck find anything here on the beaches of Cape Cod.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
It will tell the difference between tabs and gold, but not gold, foil and nickels. But I'll take those odds, 2 out of three worth digging for. Also if I get erratic readings around that end of the scale its usually foil.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
but you have settings to pinpoint gold vs tabs, etc. my 150 seems to work fine.
bumpy

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently using an Ace 250 model. I've had it for about 6 months now. So far it seems to work well. This is my first detector so I have nothing to compare it to. The one thing I can tell you about the 250 that I'm not too impressed with is that I get the same tone and display for a gold ring, a nickel, and foil. I do wish it would do a better job telling the difference. So if I get a ping in that area I'll dig it up.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
Look here

It's a sub forum on the Friendly site, and it's all about advice on purchasing a detector. You don't have to join to read, but joining would be a good idea because you could post and ask questions. The folks there are mostly very nice, and there are some ladies there too.

I bought my machine locally, from a detector shop. I was able to try several machines before I decided. I chose a used machine, more high end but older, so a good price.

Choosing a metal detector is kind of like choosing an RV. It all depends on where you want to go, what you hope to find, how much you want to spend, and what really works for you. Other peoples' input is interesting, but it's all up to you. Probably your first machine won't be your last if you like the hobby.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DKAvery wrote:
I've looked at a lot of sites ... they all sound great but I doubt they are as good as the manufacturer states. That's why I was seeking a recommendation for a solid metal detector that someone else is using. Sounds like Garrett makes a good machine so I'll check them out. If there is another manufacturer I should look at please let me know!

What features should I look for? Or avoid? If you were buying your first machine and didn't want to spend more than about 500 .. what would you buy?

I'm 5'4" and weigh a bit over a hundred pounds is why I was concerned about weight. If the metal detector is too heavy I know I wouldn't use it very long.

the Garrett Ace 250 at $250? seems to have more choices to select specific types of materials for detection and greater sensitivity than my Ace 150.
some user could expand on this, as I know nothing about it.
bumpy

DKAvery
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've looked at a lot of sites ... they all sound great but I doubt they are as good as the manufacturer states. That's why I was seeking a recommendation for a solid metal detector that someone else is using. Sounds like Garrett makes a good machine so I'll check them out. If there is another manufacturer I should look at please let me know!

What features should I look for? Or avoid? If you were buying your first machine and didn't want to spend more than about 500 .. what would you buy?

I'm 5'4" and weigh a bit over a hundred pounds is why I was concerned about weight. If the metal detector is too heavy I know I wouldn't use it very long.

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
My brother gave me his White MD a few years back as he said he was tired of digging up pop tops. Well, on my first day out, I found 5 pop tops and some sort of metal thingy about 1/2" wide and 2" long. I have no idea what it is, or was. Put my MD in the garage and I guess it is still there somewhere.

So do you think you can learn a machine in one outing? Sorry, but it's like any other skill...takes practice and thought. Metal detectors detect metal, but they they don't have the capability to discern with 100% accuracy what kind of metal they're sniffing out. For example, pop tops and gold rings often ring up the same; high silver and rusted iron can ring up the same. Depending on the machine, there are ways for *you* to figure out the difference. But still, you gotta dig the junk in order to find the treasure. If detecting was a quick and easy way to find valuable objects amd become rich off your finds, everyone would be doing it ๐Ÿ™‚

I live in a pre-Civil War house. There is a ton of trashy metal around the yard...lots of square nails, farm implement parts, even parts to an old coal or wood stove. I've filled several five gallon buckets with that stuff. But without digging the trash, I never would have found the good stuff - coins from the 1840's and 50's, old buttons ( one of them a general service cuff button, Civil War Union uniform). One find out in my horse pasture I was pretty sure my machine was lying again...but Something about her voice told me she was telling the truth. So I dug, and unearthed a Morgan silver dollar. In a horse pasture! That pasture also gave up horseshoes, tractor parts, and countless pieces of wire. That dollar made every other useless dig worth it.

So anyway, maybe try again with some patience. Pay attention, and each time you dig you'll learn something more about your machine. Try hunting in target rich areas to increase your chances. There are loads of tips and trick on the website I posted above.

Good luck and happy hunting, everyone!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
My brother gave me his White MD a few years back as he said he was tired of digging up pop tops. Well, on my first day out, I found 5 pop tops and some sort of metal thingy about 1/2" wide and 2" long. I have no idea what it is, or was. Put my MD in the garage and I guess it is still there somewhere.

my new one is adjustable to pick up all metal, gold, etc.
don't know how accurate that is however.
bumpy

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
Take a few minutes and do some reading here

There are sub forums where you will find a lot of advice. There are lots of brands and models from pretty basic to loads of bells and whistles ( my machine talks :C) . Some of the sponsors are known to very helpful as well. I have a Garrett machine and find their customer service to be top notch when I need help. If you google 'metal detectors' you'll find the sites of different manufacturers and some of them have good info. And don't forget youtube to see and hear machines in action!

You don't want to look like a dweeb? Really? That kinda comes with the territory for MDers. Real life detecting isn't like those fancy TV shows, where the guys are oh so cool ๐Ÿ˜‰ There's no way to look chic or debonair as the case may be while you're wearing cargo shorts, sensible shoes, a sun hat, headphones, and fanny pack or pouch, and swinging a big metal stick in front of you LOL.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DKAvery wrote:
Hello ... my first post!

I've also been considering purchasing a metal detector and hope y'all can give me some guidance.

I'd want one that could find gold (thoughts of gold nuggets I could make into a necklace dance through my head) but also other things like coins and old metal items long buried. I wasn't sure if there is a decent one that can do both. I could spend up to about $500 but I wouldn't want to go more.

Another concern is the weight of the machine .... I'm not a wimp but carrying around something a body builder might lift doesn't sound like fun, nor something taller than me.

Nor do I want to look like a total dweeb ... my family already think I'm a bit crazy to love camping and fishing and this might be enough to have them calling the county. If I can find the right machine, maybe a bit of spray paint and some rhinestones might make it look acceptable.

Any help would be appreciated!

based on advice here I got a Garrett Ace 150 for about $150 which seems to be a nice unit. the DVD covered this and also the 250 which IIRC sold for about $250. sort of wish I had spring the additional $100.
bumpy