cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mice/rat repellent

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
What repellent actualy works to keep mice/rats out of an rv, irish spring soap or pepermint oil?
16 REPLIES 16

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ZINGERLITE wrote:

I will never use moth balls in my camper again. it took almost a whole summer to get that smell out. Its so terrible.

After 2-3 days, we don't notice it any more.

We do try to air out the RV by keeping the windows open a lot the first few trips.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
You cant keep them out. And the almost last thing I want to happen is for one or more to die in the RV.

Cats and traps are the only way to be sure. And then someone will debate those options too. But its the internet.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I gave the job of keeping mice away to ALEX
He invites mice to come join him for lunch
but for some reason the mice do not care to join with the Cat for Lunch
I think they fear it's on them he'd munch
So the mice all run away
So Alex can not have mouse Pate
The mice run so very far
least Alex eat some Mouse TarTar
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
If you store it outside make sure there is no food inside. Make sure there is no brush close to the trailer, in other words don't give them a place to hide from predators on their way to your trailer.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Your best aolution is to stop them getting in. Seal all openings first with SS steel wool or screen followed gby mouse proof spray foam. Its a constant battle for sure, but its a battle that can be won.

Incredibly optimistic to assume you can fully seal against rodent intrusions. You would be amazed where they can slip thru and how thy can climb.

Much better to remove the incentive to take up residence...remove the food and drain the water system. This includes wiping up any spills in the back of cabinets as the scent will still attract them.

We also throw some moth balls around. Downside is you have to air out the trailer for a few days in the spring but it makes the bedding and clothes less attractive as a nesting site.

With no food, water or comfy warm beds, they have little incentive to go into the RV.

I will never use moth balls in my camper again. it took almost a whole summer to get that smell out. Its so terrible.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
Your best aolution is to stop them getting in. Seal all openings first with SS steel wool or screen followed gby mouse proof spray foam. Its a constant battle for sure, but its a battle that can be won.

Incredibly optimistic to assume you can fully seal against rodent intrusions. You would be amazed where they can slip thru and how thy can climb.

Much better to remove the incentive to take up residence...remove the food and drain the water system. This includes wiping up any spills in the back of cabinets as the scent will still attract them.

We also throw some moth balls around. Downside is you have to air out the trailer for a few days in the spring but it makes the bedding and clothes less attractive as a nesting site.

With no food, water or comfy warm beds, they have little incentive to go into the RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
What repellent actualy works to keep mice/rats out of an rv, irish spring soap or pepermint oil?

Neither. The only sure way to keep them out is to physically bar all entry points.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Snakes. Lots of snakes. 🙂

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Remove anything from inside the RV that a rodent would consider food. Incl spices and medications.
Seal all openings under the RV.
Use bait traps on the outside of the RV so the have something to eat.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rv and 3 farm tractors plus my pickup in the barn and never used anything but a couple barn cats. I might get paw prints on the hoods but no vermin ever. Hard to beat a tabby.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a product call Just One Bite. Get it at the big box stores. It kills them by using microglass beads and an anticoagulant. Very soon after they eat it they bleed out into their gut. I have aircraft in a hangar, and I put blocks of it at the perimeter where they like to be. Once ingested, it sets up an intense thirst and most often they exit the hangar in search of water. Occasionally I find a dead one.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
two boats three rv,s sitting in a pole barn next to a corn field. I use peppermint oil couple times a winter. and a product called fresh cab. the farmers around me use fresh cab in the combines that sit for 8months and tractors with inclosures. can be bought on e bay or a farm store. I have no critters.

x2 for Fresh Cab. You just need to keep it fresh (I believe the manufacturer says replace every 30 days). As soon as the scent starts to fade the friggin mice come right back.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
two boats three rv,s sitting in a pole barn next to a corn field. I use peppermint oil couple times a winter. and a product called fresh cab. the farmers around me use fresh cab in the combines that sit for 8months and tractors with inclosures. can be bought on e bay or a farm store. I have no critters.