cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Million dollar idea

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
This idea is inspired by the awful road thread and my experience this weekend coming home from a trip.

Imagine opening up Google maps on your smartphone and when you are planning a route for a trip in unfamiliar areas you can toggle what minimum road condition you want on a scale of 1-5. Kind of like how you can toggle to avoid highways or toll roads. Or maybe even color code the route on the map based on condition. The technology may not be there yet to make this work as all the information would have to be crowd sourced currently or maybe in the future when smart self driving cars are commonplace they can send live info with their sensors kind of like live traffic we have today. This would also be beneficial in the wintertime for if roads are slick or not.

My first choice would be for the roads to be repaired and maintained as they should but I'm not counting on that.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
17 REPLIES 17

westend
Explorer
Explorer
And then there are the bad stretches of a through-route. Does the driver look for an alternative route or just persevere through the bad stretch? Interstate 94 is one example of this. The road is good through WI West and East bound but the roadway is failing Westbound in MN past the Twin Cities. If I was heading for Fargo, I'd take US 10 to beyond St Cloud and reenter I 94 North of there. Seriously, it will take your teeth out.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
That would be nice.It might also be a wake up call if people are avoiding your state because the roads suck.

So true. Years back Overdrive magazine did a poll of truckers on which state had the worst roads. There we're a few runner ups, but the majority opinion was Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania cried foul and said "that's not a scientific study". So they did a scientific study, and the results we're (drum roll) Pennsylvania. Now before anyone gets mad at me, I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Back then the PA Turnpike was beautiful. I don't know about it now.

Today I seen an article in USA today that listed Pennsylvania as having the 4th worst in infrastructure but yet spent the 9th highest per driver. In contrast Florida was the best and spent the 22nd lowest per driver.

Dan

Florida has no freeze/thaw cycle destroying the roads, and half the drivers are in golf carts.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
That would be nice.It might also be a wake up call if people are avoiding your state because the roads suck.

So true. Years back Overdrive magazine did a poll of truckers on which state had the worst roads. There we're a few runner ups, but the majority opinion was Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania cried foul and said "that's not a scientific study". So they did a scientific study, and the results we're (drum roll) Pennsylvania. Now before anyone gets mad at me, I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Back then the PA Turnpike was beautiful. I don't know about it now.

Today I seen an article in USA today that listed Pennsylvania as having the 4th worst in infrastructure but yet spent the 9th highest per driver. In contrast Florida was the best and spent the 22nd lowest per driver.

Dan

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
Since Waze is crowd sourced it would work better. Users could add their opinion of a road on a 1-5 scale.

FWIW, Google bought Waze in 2013.

No need to ask users, collect the data automatically through the accelerometer built into almost every smart phone, too many users experience more than a certain number of vertical g's and you automatically flag that section of road.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The province of Alberta has a website for road information, including a bunch of webcams.
Alberta 511
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We did a trip last month thru Indiana, Kentucky, Tennesse, and North Carolina. The only bad spot was a 25 mile streatch east of Ashville, N.C. on I- 40 where they had milled the road off for repavement, but had not done it yet.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Since Waze is crowd sourced it would work better. Users could add their opinion of a road on a 1-5 scale.

FWIW, Google bought Waze in 2013.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I focus on the beauty of the area, not the roadโ€™s condition. Keeps the BP down.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
You can actually report road hazards on the Waze app in realtime. But that doesn't allow for a road rating system.
I love me some land yachting

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer

interesting idea but who decides what qualifies for a particular rating? would the rating be for the road in general or specific stretches?

I am imagining this is technology based such as radar, laser, accelerometer, etc and other stuff I have no idea about. The more and severe the imperfections in the road the lower the rating. The technology exists but not implemented yet fully on automobiles except maybe Teslas. Imagine thousands of cars that travel the roads daily just like how Google gathers information on live traffic time but instead it gathers information on the quality of the road. Now imagine instead of turning on your live traffic you can switch to see how rough the road is, maybe shade the road kind of like the weather radar shades the storms. That would tell you everything about the road even if it's just a stretch a few hundred feet long assuming you zoom in on the map.

I'm not always concerned about how rough road is except when I am towing. A bad road really magnifies the imperfections in the road and that's when I would find it really handy.

Dan

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
All you need is to know the projected 1-3 yr resurfacing projects of the state road department. Not what is currently being worked on, that is already available on the web in most states, but what is programmed for future budget years.
Turret Class traveler

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
This idea is inspired by the awful road thread and my experience this weekend coming home from a trip.

Imagine opening up Google maps on your smartphone and when you are planning a route for a trip in unfamiliar areas you can toggle what minimum road condition you want on a scale of 1-5. Kind of like how you can toggle to avoid highways or toll roads. Or maybe even color code the route on the map based on condition. The technology may not be there yet to make this work as all the information would have to be crowd sourced currently or maybe in the future when smart self driving cars are commonplace they can send live info with their sensors kind of like live traffic we have today. This would also be beneficial in the wintertime for if roads are slick or not.

My first choice would be for the roads to be repaired and maintained as they should but I'm not counting on that.

Dan

interesting idea but who decides what qualifies for a particular rating? would the rating be for the road in general or specific stretches?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They can't even keep up with changes on major interstates so I don't see how they could keep up with road conditions.