cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mold & mildew everywhere...interior turned stinky green

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
I left a perfectly well kept 96 leisure travel wide body rv in a friends garden in Florida for a year.
Upon my return...I found a mildew infested rv ..in the closets on the white cabinets ..in the outside compartments..everywhere.Even black mold on the headliner arround the roof windows.
What can be done to save this rv ?
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)
23 REPLIES 23

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
About ten years ago, mold remediation and chronic illness was the very profitable new line of business for the housing in coastal Texas. Lawyers were obtaining 100000$ settlements and people were getting remodeling done on someone else s dime. Then one tiny change in the std house insurance policy cured all that illness overnight. House policies specifically excluded mold damage. The new line of business went away and people were cured of mold sensitivity within the next policy schedule.

pops

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
96? From your description I'd call the insurance company. If it's that bad there is no cleaning it and being that old it's not worth a tear down and rebuild.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a job for the pros if you want to spend the money to save it OR drive it to the nearest junkyard. The mold has got to be BEHIND the walls as well as in front of them.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Wipe it down with a Clorox based spray cleaner and a damp rag. In tropical environments green mold is a way of life. If the outside of the RV shows the same green tint on very humid days, use a chem sprayer with about a 1/2 cup of Clorox and table spoon of dish detergent per gallon. Spray the mix on and rinse off several minutes later.

pops

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There have been several threads in the past with people who had similar problems of leaving a RV closed up in FL. They might have some more ideas on what works to get rid of the mold and mildew.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Before doing anything have the health department inspect it to confirm the hazardous level of the mold.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Clean and treat the mildewed surfaces.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
Neverhappy wrote:
I left a perfectly well kept 96 leisure travel wide body rv in a friends garden in Florida for a year.
Upon my return...I found a mildew infested rv ..in the closets on the white cabinets ..in the outside compartments..everywhere.Even black mold on the headliner arround the roof windows.
What can be done to save this rv ?

If you have insurance I'd call them because mold remediation is a pricey proposition. A trailer of that age could be a total loss.

Good luck to you in solving this nasty problem

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B