cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moss removal

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a older cabin on a trailer like a rv. It has asphalt shingles and the roof is loaded with moss. I know ya can't power wash it but what is the best way to remove the moss.
Thanks.
God Bless โ€ 
20 REPLIES 20

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Florida the "professionals" power wash shingle roofs all the time.

Otherwise all you'd see when you came down to Florida would be black streaked or green roofs!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon we sprinkled powdered Tide laundry soap on the roof of our house, it kills the moss.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Do some digging around on google, as moss is in its own world. Basically moss is everywhere and you have to change its growing conditions. Think of moss as a weed. Grows everywhere and a pain to get rid of. To get under control, there are several products available at big box hardware stores. And it takes longer than what I thought it would take. Then once under control make sure to the maintenance to keep it under control. I have about 1/4 of my roof that never see daylight so lots of moss. Once under control I sprinkle powered laundry soap about 3 times a year to keep under control. Liquid dish soap spray'd out of a garden sprayer also helps. Or spend the money and install zinc strips. But they are somewhat hard to put or keep in after roof has been installed. Atleast mine.

I also do my rv with dish soap. I open up awning and spray it and roof and let it soak for awhile then hose off.

I used to use a pressure washer. Not anymore. If you do, use largest angle head you have. I use a 40 degree and don't let spray hit with much pressure. But may problems with pressure washer.
1. Gets slippery and you're up on the roof.
2. Dragging hose around make black marks when hose comes over edge.
3. Get to close with spray and you've just added to your problems, not solved them.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd try a product called Wet & Forget. I've had great results with it on my aluminum siding. It goes on with a garden sprayer. It doesn't work instantly, but once on the moss should come off in time with wind and rain. Avoid it if possible, but be careful when working on a roof. Plan your spraying so you are always standing in a dry section.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd replace the shingles.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Google "how to remove moss from shingles".