cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Most RV friendly Cities and States

ThaOpenRoad
Explorer
Explorer
What cities and states do you think are the most RV friendly?

Watching this video - https://youtu.be/4X9dN7W7OWI - made me think of the idea for this thread.

If I would have to guess I would say Arizona and inland Southern California is pretty darn friendly to RVers. Alaska probably too. As for cities I would say Venice Beach, California. And Vancouver, Canada.
49 REPLIES 49

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
You can drive half hour in many states and find completely different conditions and scenery. Where I live in California there are very few rules enforced, hundreds of thousands of acres of Forest with redwoods, some of the cleanest rivers in the whole country, some epic fishing, spectacular off roading, seasons with very little traffic, and mostly friendly people. I've been to Almost 40 states and there is nothing like the real northern California. Above Humboldt.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
Here we go again with the California bashing. Please come and we Californians will GLADLY show you more National Parks than any other state in this glorious country. Not to mention, hundreds of miles of rugged coast that would make your draw drop. Sure, it comes with a price but I think it's worth it and so do millions of visitors every year from around the world.

Just think of it as unadulterated jealousy and let it roll off your back:B.
It's at least what I would do were I somehow in a similar situation;).

I moved to Los Angeles (work and weather brought me here) from Woodside, Queens about 6 years ago. Funny, I was just looking at my old building on Google on Queens Blvd and saw that they finally added a bike lane. Made me smile. About time! NYC gets picked on as well but it's also misunderstood.

Since moving to SoCal, my daughter has almost 50 Junior Ranger badges and I have a bucket list full of fabulous family memories. We're headed up to San Francisco in a few days in our RV to camp in and around the city. Muir Woods, Golden Gate NRA, Marin Headlands, Point Reyes National Seashore, Pinnacles National Park and then back down the coast through Monterey, a little bit of Big Sur, Moro Bay and more. Exceptionally lovely places. Takes some big time planning but like I said, it's worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I haven't even mentioned Yosemite, Lassen, Channel Islands, Death Valley, King's Canyon, Sequoias, Joshua Tree, Redwoods NP..........................

Come! Visit!

Almost bought and raised my kiddos' first NY home in Woodside; wound up in Boerum Hill, Bklyn, instead. CA remains high on my bucket list with Muir Woods being at the pinnacle:).

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wherever you are at the time and if it's not enjoyable, go someplace else..

Mtich
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived and RV'd in Northern and Southern California, I can tell you that NO cities are RV-friendly.
I also can't think of any West Coast city that I would consider "RV-friendly".
Is there really as such thing as a RV-friendly city?
A RV-friendly town I can believe.

And California state parks overall don't have many campsites for RVs over 25ft.
Plus less than 1 percent of their campsites have any hookups.
They also cost as much as a private parking site.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think California sux for being RV friendly with that lousy 55 MPH speed limit for anybody towing something.

If the 55 mph towing speed limit is the worst thing you can think of about taking an RV into California then it must be a pretty great state and you can't find much to complain about.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I think California sux for being RV friendly with that lousy 55 MPH speed limit for anybody towing something.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
Here we go again with the California bashing. Please come and we Californians will GLADLY show you more National Parks than any other state in this glorious country. Not to mention, hundreds of miles of rugged coast that would make your draw drop. Sure, it comes with a price but I think it's worth it and so do millions of visitors every year from around the world.

I moved to Los Angeles (work and weather brought me here) from Woodside, Queens about 6 years ago. Funny, I was just looking at my old building on Google on Queens Blvd and saw that they finally added a bike lane. Made me smile. About time! NYC gets picked on as well but it's also misunderstood.

Since moving to SoCal, my daughter has almost 50 Junior Ranger badges and I have a bucket list full of fabulous family memories. We're headed up to San Francisco in a few days in our RV to camp in and around the city. Muir Woods, Golden Gate NRA, Marin Headlands, Point Reyes National Seashore, Pinnacles National Park and then back down the coast through Monterey, a little bit of Big Sur, Moro Bay and more. Exceptionally lovely places. Takes some big time planning but like I said, it's worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I haven't even mentioned Yosemite, Lassen, Channel Islands, Death Valley, King's Canyon, Sequoias, Joshua Tree, Redwoods NP..........................

Come! Visit!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tennessee is a pretty friendly state in general. Outside of a few areas in larger cities, local zoning is mostly pretty loose. Not a lot of areas with HOAs in small towns.

Roads are generally decent, the state park system is one of the best in the country, and in the east, there are the Cherokee National Forest, and GRSM National Park. COE campgrounds are dotted all over the state.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Boy I hate seeing New England being bunched in with Kalifornia. Gordon, I wonder if you've been to either.

Visited both enough without an RV to know I would take my tourism dollars elsewhere.

Truck and trailer parking heavily regulated, to as far as having to register with some fascist city hall to get permission to park anywhere in the town. No thanks.

I understand folks get very protective of their expensive real estate and don't want some homeless person living in a van in their front yards.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ThaOpenRoad
Explorer
Explorer
ThaOpenRoad wrote:
Vancouver, Canada

See - https://youtu.be/6Z7z1LxFCKc

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always thought Texas was pretty friendly when it comes to RV's. X3 on CA
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
I would have to be bound, chained in the trunk vehicle, gagged, and drugged before you would get me to CA.

X2!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico - basically the west other than California.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel