cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving to a class A, tow my jeep?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
We are exploring the move from a 40' 5'ver to a Class A. Would like to tow a 03' Jeep Wrangler. Can I tow 4 down or do I need a Dolly?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
17 REPLIES 17

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the key words are โ€œ...if it stays thereโ€. not sure what caused our steering wheel to lock on us. when this happened we had been successfully towing our TJ for several years when this happened. shortly after this happened we purchased a โ€˜10 Jeep Liberty JK and started using that as our toad. and as an aside our TJโ€™s key has the needed chip needed to start the engine so i had a couple of chipless dummy keys made to unlock the wheel when towing.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
Solo wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
coming into Nashville one day the steering wheel locked up resulting in two damaged tires...one completely shredded and the other was serviceable for a few miles but had to be replaced. had that not been our last year towing the TJ I would've had the steering wheel lock completely removed. you might want to look into that.

Did the modification to the wheel lock on our 2005 TJ. Easy to do and certainly gives me peace of mind now knowing that I won't be having the tire dragging scenario. Several good write-ups out there but here's an easy one to follow on how to disable the wheel lock. The TJ makes a great toad.

Is unwanted lockup a hazard even if the key is in the proper position?

Short answer, No if you remember to put it the "unlock" position and it stays there. I didn't want to second guess my situation whether it was unlocked or not. Also, while stopped and away from our coach while on the road, I didn't want the temptation of a key left in the ignition of the Jeep for curious troublemakers. Peace-of-mind in my situation. The wheel lock removal on the TJ was a simple 30 minute task. Well worth it to us.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
yes, it can lock up even with the key in the correct position...it happened to us. if it were me iโ€™d have the lock removed
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
coming into Nashville one day the steering wheel locked up resulting in two damaged tires...one completely shredded and the other was serviceable for a few miles but had to be replaced. had that not been our last year towing the TJ I would've had the steering wheel lock completely removed. you might want to look into that.

Did the modification to the wheel lock on our 2005 TJ. Easy to do and certainly gives me peace of mind now knowing that I won't be having the tire dragging scenario. Several good write-ups out there but here's an easy one to follow on how to disable the wheel lock. The TJ makes a great toad.

Is unwanted lockup a hazard even if the key is in the proper position?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I am setting up a 2001 TJ Wrangler as well. When I have the key in the tow recommended "first click" position to unlock the steering, the brake lights come on when the pedal is pressed. Before I bought a light wiring system, I called Hopkins support. They said in this situation using their plug and play diode system would cause the toad brake light to override the motorhome turn signal. I ordered a separate bulb and socket system instead.

I also discovered that with the key in the tow position, my dash 12V receptacle is dead. I ordered a battery connected 12V receptacle.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to ETrailer and look for a plug and play system. I am very pleased with the set up and took maybe an hour to do. All lights remain the same. The longest time took was the routing of the wire to the front. It hooks up on the 4 pin, kinda like a boat trailer. Really an easy install however.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Lots o' info here.....

Simple, yes you should and yes you can. I use diodes in 3 of my TOADS and have no issues. You certainly won't have an issue with an '03. I use Blue Ox everything, and a brake buddy. Super simple on a TJ. I believe all TJ's can be towed with a transfer case.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
We are exploring the move from a 40' 5'ver to a Class A. Would like to tow a 03' Jeep Wrangler. Can I tow 4 down or do I need a Dolly?

3 dog nights,
Well, a couple of things here. First, What class A are you thinking of? Gas or Diesel? Both will do the job, the diesel will just do it easier. And, a diesel will allow for easier setting up of auxiliary braking systems too. See "M & G" braking systems on the net. It's the best system out there that's associated with diesels and air brakes.

As for setup, as has been stated, if your '03 has an aftermarket off road bumper, it may have what's called "recovery tabs" on it. If you have those, you can use them for towing. All that's needed is tow bar adapter brackets to adapt your potential tow bar, to those tabs. That will negate the need for those ugly "base plates".

As for lighting, well, this has been discussed a few zillion times. Everyone has their choice. I've wired into the stock Jeep wiring now for oh, about 35 years and as of yet, not one of the Jeeps I've wired has GONE UP IN FLAMES. It's seriously easy to wire them using the stock tail lights as toad lights. The really good part about doing it that way is, your Jeeps tail lights will act and, be equally as bright when towing it, as they do when driving it, simply because YOU'RE USING THE SAME BULB, not an added one that's not in the correct position for maximum use of the rear of the reflective housing. The use of "diodes" is simply to stop the electrical signals from the coach, from going up stream to places where it's not supposed to go.

There are many that are deathly afraid of tying into the factory wiring. Well, that's up to them. I've used the cheap, Radio Shack diodes for all of the ones I've done and, as stated, they're all still working just fine. You only need TWO.

As for the 'O3 model Jeep Wrangler, and it's locking steering, well, as has been stated, the key needs to be turned ONE CLICK from completely off. That will unlock the steering but, it will NOT energize any part of the Jeeps electrical system. So, there's no need for any form of a "charge wire" to keep the Jeeps battery charged, since there's no drain on it.

You'll have no issues towing your '03 Jeep. Just follow the owners manual for prep for towing and, you're good to go. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
PopBeavers wrote:
You might need to add diodes to the wiring.

WHY

when wiring for the brakes i strongly suggest you avoid using diodes im the OEM wiring harness and instead install a completely independent wiring harness using separate bulbs in the taillight assemblies. we originally used diodes but they blew while on a trip leaving us with no tail lights or brake lightson the jeep. we made repairs but they blew again on the return trip home. we removed the diode and returned the wiring harness to its original condition and then installed an independent wiring harness and bulbs. that was 13-yrs ago and no problems since.

We went the same route. simple 4 wire harness. we used LEDs inside the regular lamp housings
7to 4 pin adaptor plug for the coach to jeep harness
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The Owners Manual gives instructions on towing the Jeep behind a motorhome.
It also flatly states it can NOT be towed on a dolly.
Well, actually, it can be dolly towed, IF the rear drive shaft is removed. The manual doesn't tell you that.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
PopBeavers wrote:

WHY

when wiring for the brakes i strongly suggest you avoid using diodes im the OEM wiring harness and instead install a completely independent wiring harness using separate bulbs in the taillight assemblies. we originally used diodes but they blew while on a trip leaving us with no tail lights or brake lightson the jeep. we made repairs but they blew again on the return trip home. we removed the diode and returned the wiring harness to its original condition and then installed an independent wiring harness and bulbs. that was 13-yrs ago and no problems since.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
PopBeavers wrote:

WHY
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:

depends. if an automatic and the transfer case has a manually selectable neutral position then, yes. we towed our '03 Wrangler Sport for thousands of miles for 7-years with just one problem. our '03 required us to put the key in the ignition and turned to the UNLOCK/OFF position. coming into Nashville one day the steering wheel locked up resulting in two damaged tires...one completely shredded and the other was serviceable for a few miles but had to be replaced. had that not been our last year towing the TJ I would've had the steering wheel lock completely removed. you might want to look into that.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK